- Volume 10 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
An convergence study on the effect of plaque removal through the number of operations of the electric toothbrushes
전동칫솔의 작동횟수에 따른 치면세균막 제거율에 관한 융합연구
Moon, Kyung-Hui;Lee, Ji-Young;Kim, Jang-Mi
- Received : 2018.11.01
- Accepted : 2019.02.20
- Published : 2019.02.28
The study was to expand the choice of electric toothbrush by number of operations of the plaque removal effect on the tooth surface. Three different toothbrushes were selected for oscillations and pulsations type of electric toothbrush. A is Oral-B D12 (7,600 pulsations), B is Oral-B D16 (20,000 oscillations and a 7,600 pulsations), C is Oral-B D20 (40,000 oscillations and an 8,800 pulsations). In each trial, each tooth was brushed for 2 seconds. For the 10 trials. And each tooth was coated with 1layer, 2layers and 3layers. After the experiment, the plaque removal effect was calculated and analzed using the Image J program(p<0.05). According to the study, C toothbrush had the highest rate of plaque removal effect. Based on this results of the study, dental worker will need to evaluate oral hygiene and recommend appropriate toothbrushes according to oral conditions.
Electric toothbrush;Removal rate of plaque;Oscillating and pulsating electric toothbrush;Artificial plaque;Oral hygiene environment
- B. I. Kim. (2016). Textbook of Oral Care Product 1th. Seoul: Charmyun publishing.
- J. B. Kim, D.I. Paik & S. C. Shin. (2012). Preventive Dentistry 5th. Seoul: Komoonsa
- C. C. Schifter, R. C. Emling, J. S. Seibert & S. L. Yankell. (1983). A comparison of plaque removal effectiveness of an electric versus a manual toothbrush. Clin PreDent. 5, 15-9.
- S. Y. Lee, S. C. Shin & J. W. Cho. (2005). A clinical study on plaque removal and gingival inflammation effect of AFT type toothbrush. Int J Clin Prev Dent.1, 19-28.
- J. A. Chun, M. J. Cho. (2014). The Standardization of Toothbrush Form for Korean Adult. Int J Clin Prev Dent.10, 227-236. https://doi.org/10.15236/ijcpd.2014.10.4.227
- P. R. Warren, H. Landmann & B. V. Chater. (1998). Electric toothbrush use; Attitudes and experience among dental practitioners in Germany. Am J Dent. 11:53-56.
- Ainamo J, Xie Q& Ainamo A et al. (1997) Assessment of the effect of an oscillating /rotating electric toothbrush on oral health. A 12-month longitudinal study. J Clin Periodontol.24, 28-33. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-051X.1997.tb01180.x
- W. G. Cross, J. O. Forrest& A. B. Wade. (1962). A comparative study of tooth cleansing using conventional and electrically operated toothbrushes. British Dental Journal. 113, 19-22.
- Sung-Jo Lee. (2017). The effect of Light Emitting Diode electric toothbrush on gingivitis. Journal of dental rehabilitation and applied science, 33.. 119-126. https://doi.org/10.14368/jdras.2017.33.2.119
- Scutt JS, Swann CJ. (1975). The first mechanical toothbrush? British Dental Journal. 139-152.
- D. H. Jun, C. H. Chung, S. B. Lim & K. S. Hong. (2005). A comparative study for the efficacy of plaque removal of two powered toothbrushes and a manual toothbrush. The journal of Korean academy of periodontology. 35. 975-989. https://doi.org/10.5051/jkape.2005.35.4.975
- Hyson, John M. (2003). History of the toothbrush. Journal of the history of dentistry. 51. 73-80.
- Korea Consumer Agency. (2014) A thorough investigation into electric toothbrush, quality and maintenance costs.
- Stavineke K, Saderfeldt B & Sjadin B. (1995). Compliance in the use of electric tooth brushes. Acta Odontologica Scandinavica 53, 17-19. https://doi.org/10.3109/00016359509005938
- K. H. Lee, Y. J. Jee, C. H. Lee, Y. H. Choi, J. H. Park & N. H. Choi. (2007). Clinical Study on Toothbrushing Forces. Int J Clin Prev Dent. 3. 92-100.
- Ministry of health and welfare. (2013). 2012 Korean National Oral Health Survey Data. 61-70.
- Douglass CW, Fox CH. (1993) Cross-sectional studies in periodontal disease current status and implications for dental practice. Advances in Dental Research. 7. 25-31. https://doi.org/10.1177/08959374930070010301
- Cronin M, Dembling W, Warren PR & King DW. (1998). A 3-month clinical investigation comparing the safety and efficacy of a novel electric toothbrush [Braun Oral-B 3D Plaque Remover] with a manual toothbrush. Am J Dent,11, 17-21.
- Heanue M, Deacon SA, Deery C, Robinson PG, Waimsley AD & Worthington HV. (2003) Manual versus powered toothbrushing for oral health. [Cochrane Review] In The Cochrane Library, Issue 2, Oxford Update Software. 78-82.
- SichaA, ArregulI, GattegoM, CabezasB & CuestaS. (2002). A systematic review of powered vs manual toothbrushes in periodontal cause related therapy. J Chem Periodontol. 29, 39-54. https://doi.org/10.1034/j.1600-051X.29.s-3.1.x
- D. S. Ma. (2017). "Powered toothbrush : who uses it and how to use?," THE JOURNAL OF THE KOREAN DENTAL ASSOCIATION, 55(2), 172-179.
- Biesbrock AR, Walters PA, Bartizek RD, Goyal CR & Qaqish JG. (2008) Plaque removal efficacy of an advanced rotation-oscillation power toothbrush versus a new sonic toothbrush. Am J Dent, 21, 185-188.
- C. H. Park, H. S. Hwang, K. H. Lee, & S. J. Hong. (2004), A comparative study of electric and manual toothbrushes on oral hygiene status in fixed orthodontic patients, The Korean journal of orthodontics, 34, 363-370.