- Volume 10 Issue 2
Despite various treatments, there is a tendency of convicted sex offenders to recidivate by committing additional sex crimes. Especially when the offenders are diagnosed comorbidly with paraphilia and personality disorders, effective treatment is critical because this difficult condition can be harmful to their psychological well-being and the security of the communities in which these men live. The aim of this review is to examine the comorbidity of personality disorders and paraphilia in the male sex offender population. This study is highly meaningful as not only it is the first domestic research on the link between paraphilia and sex crimes, integrating the preceding data from both domestic and international research, but also as it synthesizes the studies of criminal psychology, social welfare and clinical psychology.
Paraphilia;Integrative Review;Treatment designs;Practioner
- Auburn, T. (2010). Doing cognitive distortions: A discursive psychology analysis of sex offender treatment talk. British Journal of Social Psychology, 42(2), 281-298.
- Burdon, W. M., & Gallagher, C. A. (2002). Coercion and sex offenders: Controlling sex-Offending behavior through incapacitation and treatment. Criminal Justice and Behavior, 29(1), 87-108. https://doi.org/10.1177/0093854802029001006
- Craissati, J., Webb, L., & Keen, S. (2008). The relationship between developmental variables, personality disorder, and risk in sex offenders. Sexual Abuse: Journal of Research and Treatment, 20(2), 119-138. https://doi.org/10.1177/1079063208317464
- Harris, A. J., Fisher W., Veysey, B. M., Ragusa, L. M., & Lurigio, A. J. (2010). Sex offending and serious mental illness: Directions for policy and research. Criminal Justice and Behavior, 37(5), 596-605. https://doi.org/10.1177/0093854810363773
- Larochelle, S., Diguer, L., Laverdiere, O., & Greenman, P. S. (2011). Predictors of psychological treatment noncompletion among sexual offenders. Clinical Psychology Review, 31(4), 554-562. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cpr.2010.12.004
- Reardon, J. D. (1995). Sexual predators: Mental Illness or abnormality? A psychiatrist’s perspective. University of Puget Sound Law Review, 15, 849-853.
- Stanislaus, A., & Reid, W. H. (2015). Sex offender commitment in illinois. Journal of Psychiatric Practice, 11(4), 262-267.
- Moher, D., A., Tetzlaff, J., Altman, D. G., & PRISMA Group. (2010). Preferred reporting items for systematic reviews and mata-analyses:The PRISMA statement. International Journal of Surgery, 8(5), 336-341. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijsu.2010.02.007
- Leue, A., Borchard, B., & Hoyer J. (2004). Mental disorders in a forensic sample of sexual offenders. European Psychiatry, 19(3), 123-130. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eurpsy.2003.08.001
- Levenson, J.S. (2004). Sexual predator civil commitment: A comparison of selected and released offenders. International Journal of Offender Therapy and Comparative Criminology, 48(6), 638-648. https://doi.org/10.1177/0306624X04265089
- Bogaerts, S., Daalder, A., Vanheule, S., Desmet, M., & Leeuw, F. (2008). Personality disorders in a sample of paraphilic and nonparaphilic child molesters: A comparative study. International Journal of Offender Therapy and Comparative Criminology, 52(1), 21-30. https://doi.org/10.1177/0306624X07308261
- American Psychiatric Association. (1994). Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders. (4thEdition). Washington,DC:Author.
- McElroy, S. L., Soutullo, C. A., Taylor, P., Nelson, E. B., Beckman, D. A., Brusman, L. A.,. Keck, P. E. (1999). Psychiatric features of 36 men convicted of sexual offenses. Journal of Clinical Psychiatry, 60(6), 414-420. https://doi.org/10.4088/JCP.v60n0613
- Dunsieth, N. W., Nelson, E. B., Brusman-Lovins, L. A., Holcomb, J. L., Beckman, D., Welge, J. A. McElroy, S. L. (2004). Psychiatric and legal features of 113 men convicted of sexual offenses. Journal of Clinical Psychiatry, 65(3), 293-300. https://doi.org/10.4088/JCP.v65n0302
- DeClue, G. (2006). Paraphilia NOS (nonconsenting) and antisocial personality disorder. Journal of Psychiatry & Law, 34(4), 495-495-514,433. https://doi.org/10.1177/009318530603400404
- Saleh, F. M., Malin, H. M., Grudzinskas, A. J., & Vitacco, M. J. (2010). Paraphilias with co-morbid psychopathy: The clinical and legal significance to sex offender assessments. Behavioral Sciences & the Law, 28(2), 211-223.
- Personality disorders. (2010). In Encyclopedia of Mental Disorders. Retrieved from http://www.minddisorders.com/Ob-Ps/Personality-disorders.html
- Raymond, N. C., Coleman, E., Ohlerking, F., Christenson, G. A., & Miner, M. (2009). Psychiatric comorbidity in pedophilic sex offenders. The American Journal of Psychiatry, 156(5), 786-788.
- Stinson, J. D., & Becker J. V. (2011). Sexual offenders with serious mental illness: Prevention, risk, and clinical concerns. International Journal of Law and Psychiatry, 34, 239-245. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijlp.2011.04.011
- Janssen, D.F. (2014). How to Ascertain Paraphilia?, Archives of Sexual Behavior. 43(7), 1245-1246. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10508-013-0251-5
- S. J. Lee & H. J. Wee. (2015). Paraphilas as Recidivism Predictors of Korean Sex Offenders. Korean Police Studies Review, Korean Police Studies Association, 14(4), 403-428.
- S. G. Kim & H. J. Kang. (2012). Evaluations and Suggestions of the Programs for Sexual Crime Prevention:Based on Prevention Programs for Child Sexual Abuse. Corrections Review, Korean Society for Corrections Service, 24(1), 237-259.
- S. H. Cho & J.S. Jung. (2008). Study on Psychological Characteristics of Sex Offenders Based upon Their Recidivism and Diagnosis upon Pre-trial Evaluation. Korean Journal of Social and Personality, The Korean Social and Personality Psychology Association, 22(4). 15-26.
- I.H.Cho & G.H. Kwon. (2011). The analysis of the effectiveness of Sexual Crime prevention policy by intervention time-series: Focusing on general deterrence effect of Sexual Crime of Electronic Monitoring System. The Korean Journal of Public Administration, The Korea Institute of Public Administration, 20(1).225-253.
- J.S.Cheong & J.H.Park. (2015). Macro-Level Factors of Sex Crime Depending on Its Type and Community Size: Negative Binomial Regression Analysis Using Nation-Wide Eup.Myeon.Dong Data. Journal of Korean Official Statistics, Statistics Korea, 20(2). 70-92.