- Volume 10 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
A study on the Structural Equation Modeling of Interpersonal problem, Stress coping strategy, Mental health of University students at risk of Smartphone addiction
스마트폰중독 위험군 대학생의 대인관계문제, 스트레스 대처방식, 정신건강의 구조모형분석
Lee, Yu-ri;Park, Jeong-Sook
- Received : 2018.12.31
- Accepted : 2019.02.20
- Published : 2019.02.28
This study aimed to analyze the relationship between interpersonal problem, stress coping strategies and mental health for university students at risk of smartphone addiction using a structural equation modeling. Key results of the analysis were as follows. The interpersonal problem increased the severity of mental health. Stress coping strategies had partial mediating effects in the relationship between interpersonal problem and mental health. Passive coping strategy was risk factor and Active coping strategy was protective factor. Based on these results, various interventions for improving mental health for university students at risk of smartphone addiction were suggested.
University students at risk of smartphone addiction;Interpersonal problem;Stress coping strategies;Mental health;Structural equation modeling
- National Information Society Agency. (2016). The Survey for the status of mobile phone addiction, National Information Society Agency, Daegu.
- H. S. An. (2017). The effects of personal, environmental, smartphone characteristics factors on the smartphone addiction degrees and daily life of university students, The Journal of Digital Convergence, 15(6): 39-50. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2017.15.3.39
- H. S. Jeon. & S. O. Jang. (2014). A Study on the Influence of Depression and Stress on Smartphone addiction among University Students: focused on Moderating Effect of Gender, Korean Journal of Youth Studies, 21(8): 103-129.
- H. J. Kim, E. & H. Kim. (2016). The relationship between anxious attachment and smartphone addiction: The mediating effects of loneliness and college adjustment, Korean Journal of Counseling, 17(2): 157-179.
- H. S. Choi, H. K. Lee, J. C. Ha. (2012). The influence of smartphone addiction on mental health, campus life and personal relations -Focusing on K university students, Journal of the Korean Data & Information Science Society, 23(5): 1005-1015. https://doi.org/10.7465/jkdi.2012.23.5.1005
- O. S. Lee & M. J. Kim(2017). The relationship among smartphone addiction, emotional intelligence, critical thinking disposition and communication skill for nursing students, The Journal of Digital Convergence, 15(7): 319-328.
- Meena, P. S., Soni, R., Jain, M., Paliwal, S. (2015). Social networking sites addiction and associated psychological problems among young adults: a study from North India, Sri Lanka Journal of Psychiatry, 6(1): 14-16. https://doi.org/10.4038/sljpsyc.v6i1.8055
- Donelly, E. & Kuss, D. J. (2016). Depression among users of social networking sites(SNSs): the role of SNS addiction and increased usage, Journal of Addiction and Preventive Medicine, 1(2): 107
- T. E. Choi. & Y. R. Lee. (2015). Latent means analysis among stress of college life, avoidance-oriented coping and mental health according to gender, Journal of Future Social Work Research, 6(2): 63-88.
- Coffman. L. I. & Gilligan, T. D. (2002). Social support, stress and self-efficacy: Effect on student's satisfacation. Journal of College Student Retention, 4(1): 53-66. https://doi.org/10.2190/BV7X-F87X-2MXL-2B3L
- Lazarus, R. S. & Folkman, S. (1984). Stress appraisal and coping. New York: Springer.
- D. H. Kim. (2016). The Moderating Effects of the Way of Coping in between Perceived Stress and Smartphone Use in Adolescent, Korean Journal of Stress Research, 24(2): 57-64. https://doi.org/10.17547/kjsr.2016.24.2.57
- Y. M. Kim. (2015). Impact of parent-child relationship and stress-coping on smartphone addiction in adolescents: mediating effects of self-control, Korean journal of local government and administration studies 29(1): 223-242. https://doi.org/10.18398/kjlgas.2015.29.1.223
- W. O. Oh & H. J. Shin. (2016). Impact of depression, ego-resilience, and active stress coping on internet addiction tendency among college students, Journal of Korean Public Health Nursing, 30(1): 56-69. https://doi.org/10.5932/JKPHN.2016.30.1.56
- Y. M. Baek. (2017). A Study on sense of self-efficacy and stress encountering strategy of smartphone addicted university students, Journal of the Korea Society of Digital Industry and Information Management, 13(1): 173-183. https://doi.org/10.17662/ksdim.2017.13.1.173
- H. J. Jang. & Y. K. Kwag. (2015). Comparison of factors associated with smartphone overuse: focusing on self-control, mental health and interrelationship, Journal of the Korean Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, 6(1): 146-154.
- S. J. Gong. & E. H. Lee. (2006). Mediation Effect of Coping Between Life Stress and Depression in Female College Students, The Korean Journal of Woman Psychology, 11(1): 21-40.
- National Information Society Agency. (2011). Development of Korean Smartphone Addiction Proneness Scale for Youth and Adults, National Information Society Agency, Daegu.
- Horowitz, L. M., Rosenberg, S. E., Baer, B. A., Ureno, G., & Villasenor, V. S. (1988). Inventory of Interpersonal Problems: Psychometric properties and clinical applications, Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 56(1): 885-892. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-006X.56.6.885
- S. H. Hong, E. Y. Park, Y. H. Kim, J. H. Kwan, Y. R. Cho, Y. K. Jin. (2002). Short form of the Korean Inventory of Interpersonal Problems Circumplex scales(KIIP-SC), Korean Journal of Clinical Psychology, 21(4): 923-940.
- J. H. Kim. (1995). Relationship of the stress appraisal and coping strategies with emotional experiences, The Korean Journal of Counseling and Psychotherapy, 7(1): 44-69.
- Mahmut, M. K. & Menictas, C. (2011). Validating the factor structure of the self-report psychopathy scale in a community sample, Psychological Assessment, 23(3): 670-678. https://doi.org/10.1037/a0023090
- Zigmond A. S. & Snaith R. P. (1983). The hospital anxiety and depression scale, Acta Psychiatrica Scandinavica, 67(1): 361-370. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0447.1983.tb09716.x
- Oh S. M., Min K. J., Park D. B. (1999). A study on the standardization of the hospital anxiety and depression scale for Koreans: A comparison of normal, depressed and anxious groups, Journal of Korean Neuropsychiatric Association, 38(1): 289-296.
- Curran, P. J. et al. (1996). The robustness of test statistics to non-normality and specification error in confirmatory factor analysis, Psychological Methods, 1(1): 16-29. https://doi.org/10.1037/1082-989X.1.1.16
- S. H. Hong. (2000). The Criteria for Selecting Appropriate Fit Indices in Structural Equation Modeling and Their Rationales, The Korean Journal of Clinical Psychology, 19(1): 161-177.