- Volume 10 Issue 2
The purpose of this study is to explore and deeply understand the essence and meaning of the bullying experiences of school bullies. Data were collected through in-depth dividual interviews and analyzed using Colaizzi phenomenological analysis methodology. Participants of this study were 16 adolescents with compulsory education due to school bullying. Data collection was conducted through in-depth interviews from May to August, 2018. The results of the analysis were derived from 13 theme clusters and 5 categories, focusing on causes of school bullying, factors contributing bullying, and experiences after bullying. Bullying experienced by school bullies were categorized as followed: 'Difficult to empathize with others', 'Uncontrolled anger behavior', 'No hope for the future'. 'Gain from bullying', and 'Difficulty of daily life'. The results of this study are significant in providing basic data to provide practical help and support to school bullies.
- B. Coloroso. (2008). The bully, the bullied and the bystander. From pre-school to high school: How parents and educators can help break the cycle of violence. Updated ed. New York, NY: Collins Living.
- The Foundation for Preventing Youth Violence. (2015). A survey of the nationwide school bullying in 2014. The Foundation for Preventing Youth Violence.
- T. R. Nansel, W. Craig, M. D. Overpeck, G. Saluja & W. J. Ruan. (2004). Cross-national consistency in the relationship between bullying behaviors and psychosocial adjustment. Archives of pediatrics & adolescent medicine, 158(8), 730-736. https://doi.org/10.1016/s0084-3970(08)70012-4 https://doi.org/10.1001/archpedi.158.8.730
- G. M. Glew, M. Y. Fan, W. Katon & F. P. Rivara. (2008). Bullying and school safety. The Journal of pediatrics, 152(1), 123-128. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpeds.2007.05.045 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpeds.2007.05.045
- M. Eslea, E. Menesini, Y. Morita, M. O'Moore, J. A. Merchan, B. Pereira & P. K. Smith. (2004). Friendship and loneliness among bullies and victims: Data from seven countries. Aggressive behavior, 30(1), 71-83. https://doi.org/10.1002/ab.20006 https://doi.org/10.1002/ab.20006
- K. Kumpulainen, E. Rasanen & K. Puura. (2001). Psychiatric disorders and the use of mental health services among children involved in bullying. Aggressive behavior, 27(2), 102-110. https://doi.org/10.1002/ab.3 https://doi.org/10.1002/ab.3
- K. Kumpulainen, E. Rasanen & I. Henttonen. (1999). Children involved in bullying: Psychological disturbance and the persistence of the involvement. Child abuse & neglect, 23(12), 1253-1262. https://doi.org/10.1016/s0145-2134(99)00098-8 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0145-2134(99)00098-8
- D. Olweus. (1994). Bullying at school: Basic facts and effects of a school based intervention program. Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry. 35(7), 1171-1190. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1469-7610.1994.tb01229.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1469-7610.1994.tb01229.x
- D. Alvarez-Garcia, T. Garcia & J. C. Nunez. (2015). Predictors of school bullying perpetration in adolescence: A systematic review. Aggression and Violent Behavior, 23, 126-136. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.avb.2015.05.007 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.avb.2015.05.007
- H. Y. Kwon & H. M. Kim. (2009). The qualitative analysis on psycho-social factors of bullying adolescent at school violence. The Korean Journal of East West Science, 12(1), 1-12.
- C. B. Cho. (2010). A study on the effect of family violence and parent-child interaction on adolescents' violence delinquency and the verification of the mediating effect of internet game addiction. Journal of Adolescent Welfare, 12(1), 93-121.
- H. K. Shin. (2006). A study on the continual development of aggressive victims, passive victims, and bullies. Studies on Korean Youth, 17(1), 297-323.
- S. G. Lee. (2005). Effects of eco-systemic factors on peer violence at middle schools. Journal of Korean Society of Child Welfare(19), 141-170.
- M. Kljakovic & C. Hunt. (2016). A meta-analysis of predictors of bullying and victimization in adolescence. Journal of adolescence, 49, 134-145. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.adolescence.2016.03.002 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.adolescence.2016.03.002
- Y. S. Han. (2012). Study for the school bully's target-selection in school setting. Journal of Korean ciminological association, 6(1), 131-164.
- M. Y. Lee & E. J. Chang (2015). A qualitative study on the context of school violence experienced by school violence perpetrators. The Korean Journal of Developmental Psychology, 28(3), 115-140.
- P. F. Colaizzi. (1978). Psychological research as the phenomenologist views it. In R. Vaile & M. King (Eds.), Existential phenomenological alternatives for psychology. New York: Oxford University Press.
- E. G. Guba & Y. S. Lincoln (1981). Effective evaluation: Improving the usefulness of evaluation results through responsive and naturalistic approaches. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Based.
- Y. K. Lim & K. J. Oh. (2010). Comparative study of delinquent and non-delinquent adolescents with respect to thresholds for the recognition of facial expressions. Korean Journal of Clinical Psychology, 29(4), 1029-1046. https://doi.org/10.15842/kjcp.2010.29.4.007 https://doi.org/10.15842/kjcp.2010.29.4.007
- B. H. Smith & S. Low. (2013). The role of social-emotional learning in bullying prevention efforts. Theory Into Practice, 52(4), 280-287. https://doi.org/10.1080/00405841.2013.829731 https://doi.org/10.1080/00405841.2013.829731
- S. Kim, J. I. Kim, J. W. Choi, J. Lim & B. N. Kim. (2017). Effects of cognitive behavioral therapy-based program for the adolescent perpetrators of school violence. Journal of Korean Neuropsychiatric Association, 56, 118-126. https://doi.org/10.4306/jknpa.2017.56.3.118 https://doi.org/10.4306/jknpa.2017.56.3.118
- S. Shakoor, S. R. Jaffee, L. Bowes, I. Ouellet-Morin, P. Andreou, F. Happe, T. E. Moffitt & L. Arseneault. (2012). A prospective longitudinal study of children's theory of mind and adolescent involvement in bullying. Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry, 53(3), 254-261 http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1469-7610.2011.02488.x. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1469-7610.2011.02488.x
- M. T. Baker, V. B. Van Hasselt & A. H. Sellers. (2008). Validation of the novaco anger scale in an incarcerated offender population. Criminal Justice and behavior, 35(6), 741-754. https://doi.org/10.1177/0093854808316275 https://doi.org/10.1177/0093854808316275
- E. L. Feindler, S. A. Marriott & M. Iwata. (1984). Group anger control training for junior high school delinquents. Cognitive therapy and research, 8(3), 299-311. https://doi.org/10.1007/bf01173000 https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01173000
- M. Eisner & D. Ribeaud. (2003). Erklarung von jugendgewalt: Eeine ubersicht uber zentrale forschungsbefunde. In Kriminalitat und Gewalt im Jugendalter: Hell-und Dunkelfeldbefunde im Vergleich: Juventa.
- H. J. Park, M. K. Jung & J. H. Park. (2007). Study on the validation of the supporting system for prevention and intervention of school bullying and violence. Korean Education Development Institute.
- S. H. Park. (2015). Gewaltpravention an schulen mittels biographieforschung jugendlicher gewalttater. Theory and Practice of Education, 20(1), 33-57.
- D. P. Farrington. (1993). Understanding and preventing bullying. Crime and justice, 17, 381-458. https://doi.org/10.1086/449217 https://doi.org/10.1086/449217
- Y. S. Kim, B. L. Leventhal, Y. J. Koh, A. Hubbard & W. T. Boyce. (2006). School bullying and youth violence: causes or consequences of psychopathologic behavior? Archives of general psychiatry, 63(9), 1035-1041. https://doi.org/10.1001/archpsyc.63.9.1035 https://doi.org/10.1001/archpsyc.63.9.1035
- D. W. Foy, R. M. Eisler & S. Pinkston. (1975). Modeled assertion in a case of explosive rages. Journal of Behavior Therapy and Experimental Psychiatry, 6(2), 135-137. https://doi.org/10.1016/0005-7916(75)90038-5 https://doi.org/10.1016/0005-7916(75)90038-5