- Volume 10 Issue 1
In Korea, the first-price sealed bid auction and the constrained mean-price sealed bid auction(buchal-je in Korean) have been used alternatively as procurement auctions. In this paper, we characterize the constrained mean-price sealed bid auction in the context of mechanism design. We consider the general ?-bidder case in which each bidder has private information. Under the assumptions of uniformly distributed valuations and linear strategies, we derive the equilibrium of the constrained mean-price sealed bid auction. Furthermore, we analyze the efficiency and the expected revenue of this auction mechanism in comparison with the first-price sealed bid auction. Finally, we conclude with the critical remarks on the practical intention of the government which uses this auction.
constrained mean-price sealed bid;first-price sealed bid auction;efficiency;revenue equivalence theorem
- J. J. Laffont. (1995). Game Theory and Empirical Economics: The Case of Auction Data. IDEI working paper No. 55. Institute of Industrial Economics.
- P. Klemperer. (2004). Auctions: Theory and Practice. Princeton University Press.
- W. Vickrey. (1961). Counterspeculation, Auctions, and Competitive Sealed Tenders. Journal of Finance, 16, 8-37. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1540-6261.1961.tb02789.x
- R. B. Myerson. (1981). Optimal Auction Design. Mathematics of Operation Research, 6, 58-73. https://doi.org/10.1287/moor.6.1.58
- J. Bulow & J. Roberts. (1989). The Simple Economics of Optimal Auctions. Journal of Political Economy, 97, 1060-1090. https://doi.org/10.1086/261643
- P. McAfee & J. McMillan. (1987). Auctions and Bidding. Journal of Economic Literature, 25, 699-738.
- V. Krishna. (2009). Auction Theory. Academic Press.
- R. J. Aumann. (1976). Agreeing to Disagree. Annals of Statistics, 4, 1236-1239. https://doi.org/10.1214/aos/1176343654
- J. Harsanyi. (1967-68). Games of Incomplete Information Played by 'Bayesian' Players, Parts I, II, III. Management Science, 14, 159-182, 320-334, 486-502. https://doi.org/10.1287/mnsc.14.3.159
- A. Mas-Colell, M. D. Whinston & J. R. Green. (1995). Microeconomic Theory, Oxford University Press.
- P. R. Milgrom & R. J. Weber. (1982). A Theory of Auctions and Competitive Bidding. Econometrica, 50, 1089-1122. https://doi.org/10.2307/1911865
- T. Groves & J. Ledyard. (1987). Incentive Compatibility Since 1972. in Information, Incentives, & Economic Mechanisms - Essays in Honor of Leonid Hurwicz, ed. by T. Groves, R. Radner & S. Reiter, University of Minnesota Press.
- L. Hurwicz. (1972). On Informationally Decentralized Systems. in Decision and Organization: A Volume in Honor of Jacob Marschak, ed. by R. Radner & C. B. McGuire, North-Holland Publishing Co.
- R. B. Myerson, Roger. (1985). Bayesian Equilibrium and Incentive Compatibility: An Introduction. in Social Goals and Social Organization, ed. by L. Hurwicz, D. Schmeidler, & H. Sonnenschein, Cambridge University Press.
- D. Fudenberg & J. Tirole. (1991) Game Theory. MIT Press.
- R. B. Myerson & M. A. Satterthwaite. (1983). Efficient Mechanisms for Bilateral Trading. Journal of Economic Theory, 29, 265-281. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-0531(83)90048-0