- Volume 10 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
A Convergence Study of the Influence of Empathy and Prosocial Behavior on School Life Happiness of Multicultural and Korean Adolescents through Sports Activity
스포츠 활동을 통한 다문화 청소년과 한국 청소년의 공감과 친사회적 행동이 학교생활행복에 미치는 영향의 융합적 연구
An, Jung-Hun;Cheon, Hang-Uk
- Received : 2018.10.04
- Accepted : 2019.01.20
- Published : 2019.01.28
The study is aimed at examining the influence of empathy and pro-social behavior on school life happiness of multicultural and Korean adolescents through sports activities. The results of the analysis of total 461 adolescents participating in sports activities and not participating in sports activities are as follows. Adolescents participating in sports activities have higher levels of empathy, pro-social behavior and school life happiness than those who do not participate. And the more experience involved in sports activities, the higher the level of empathy, the level of pro-social behavior and the level of school life happiness. There is a significant correlation between empathy and pro-social behavior and school life happiness. Empathy and pro-social behavior factors affecting school life happiness are statistically influencing factors such as "relationship formation", "communication", "cooperation", "assistance", "emotional expression", and "comfort". The results of this study suggest the importance of dealing with empathy and pro-social behavior through sports activities in the school life happiness of multicultural families and Korean adolescents.
Sports Activity;Empathy;Prosocial Behavior;School Life Happiness;Multicultural and Korean Family Adolescents
- Statistics Korea. (2018). http://kostat.go.kr/portal/korea/index.action.
- Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism. (2018). http://www.korea.kr/main.do.
- S. M. Yang. (2014). The Effect of the Family Volunteering Activity on Adolescents' Family Strengths and School Adjustment, The International Journal of Creativity & Problem Solving, 10(3), 155-178.
- C. S. Lee, J. Y. Park & H. Y. Jang. (2017). The Mediating Effect of Self-esteem between School Violence Victimization and Happiness of Adolescents, Journal of Digital Convergence, 15(1), 35-43.
- J. B. Kim & T. E. Kim. (2008). The Development and Validation of Korean School Happiness Scale, Korean Educational Psychology Association, 22(1), 259-279.
- G. Y. Pi. (2012). The Causal Relationship among Physical Self-concept Psychological Happiness and Satisfaction of School Life among Youth Participating in School Sports Activities, Doctoral Degree, Cho Sun University.
- Y. K. Hwang & E. Y. Hong. (2018). The Current Status of Life and Happiness of Out of School Youth, Journal of Digital Convergence, 16(2), 57-64.
- S. H. Park & J. H. Yoo. (2017). The Effects of Multicultural Experience on Empathy in Adolescents : Focused on Mediating Effect of Multicultural Acceptance and Cultural Empathy, Journal of Digital Convergence, 15(4), 499-510. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2017.15.4.499
- M. S. Ko & E. C. Kwak. (2015). Relationship between Sex, Sport Character, Empathy and Pro-social Behavior among Elementary School Student who experienced School Sport Club, The Korean Society of the Elementary Physical Education, 21(3), 17-33.
- J. U. Lee. (2016). Developmental Trajectories of Youth's Prosocial and Antisocial Behaviors, Focusing on the School Domain Predictor Variables, Doctoral Degree, Ewha Womans University.
- E. K. Bae. (2015). The Effect of Empathic Ability on School Adjustment Mediated by Self-esteem, The Journal of the Korean Association of Psychotherapy, 3(1), 85-100.
- S. H. Jang, H. S. Yoon, S. J. Kim & Y. J. Park. (2010). Learning Motivation, Social Skills and Academic Self-Efficacy Scale as Predictors of Elementary School Adjustment, The Journal of Educational Research, 8(2), 140-157.
- Y. S. Kang & K. Park. (2014). The mediating effect of emotional expressiveness on empathy in middle school student and the quality of their peer relationships, Studies on Korean Youth, 25(2), 5-45.
- Y. H. Kim & T. S. Ko. (2014). Relationships among Hope, Empathy and Happiness of Middle School Students, The Korea Contents Society, 14(10), 330-338.
- H. I. Cho & M. H. Lee. (2010). The Mediating Effect of Prosocial Behavior in the Relation between Empathic Ability and Psychological Well-being, Studies on Korean Youth, 17(11), 139-158.
- J. Y. Lee, I. J. Jung & J. L. Back. (2014). A Meta-Analysis on the Predictor Variables of the School Adjustment of Youth, Korean Journal of Child Studies, 35(2), 1226-1688.
- H. J. Cho & N. H. Sohn. (2006). Empathy and Altruistic Behavior, The Korea Journal of Counseling, 7, 1-9.
- J. H. Yang & J. H. Lee. (2010). Relationship between Peer Relationship, School Life Adjustment and Pro-social Behavior according to Adolescents' Participation in Sports Activities, Journal of Sport and Leisure Studies, 39, 343-350.
- E. Y. Lee & K. H. Kim. (2005). The Relationships Between Mother's Child-Rearing Attitudes Perceived by their Children and Children's Prosocial Behavior, Adjustment in School Life, Korean Journal of Family Welfare, 10(1), 105-119.
- S. C. Shin. (2015). The dual mediation effect of self-worth and resilience with respect to effects of school happinessof elementary schoolchildren on school life adjustment, The Journal of Child Education, 24(2), 266-280.
- J. S. Do. (2011). The Effects of Youth Voluntary Service on Subjective Happiness, Journal of Adolescent Welfare, 13(4), 21-45.
- Y. O. Park & H. M. H. (2008). An Analysis on Monetary Value of Physical,Mental Health Effect and Psychological Happiness Followed by Participation Variables of Sports Activities, Korean Journal of Sociology of Sport, 21(2), 443-461. https://doi.org/10.22173/jksss.2008.21.2.443
- M. M. Kim. (2011). A Study on the Effects of School Sports Club Activities on the Students' Physical Fitness, Physical Self-description and Attitude toward PE, Doctoral Degree, Catholic University.of Daegu.
- R. L. Reniers, R. Corcoran, R. Drake, N. M. Shryane & B. A. Vollm. (2011). The QCAE: A questionnaire of cognitive and affective empathy. Journal of personality assessment , 93(1), 84-95. https://doi.org/10.1080/00223891.2010.528484
- S. H. Hur. (2017). Development of Scale and Program for Empathy Capability, Doctoral Degree, Daejeon University.
- S. K. Park & S. Y. Yang. (2017). Relationships between Multi-cultural Acceptance and Pro-social Behavior, and Empathy as a Mediator, The Korea Contents Society, 17(6), 142-152.
- S. Y. Hwang & M. S. Yoon. (2018). Structural Relationship among Empathy, Prosocial Behavior, and School happiness, The Korea Educational Review, 24(1), 173-197. https://doi.org/10.29318/KER.24.1.7
- N. Eisenberg & P. H. Mussen. (1989). The roots of prosocial behavior in children, Cambridge University Press.
- S. H. Song & K. H. Jang. (2015). The Relationship between a Child's Affective Empathy, a Mother's Empathy, and the Child`s Prosocial Behavior, Korean Journal of Child Studies, 36(3), 59-75.
- K. H. Kim. (2015). The Causal Relationship among Social Support, Ego-resilience, School Adjustment and School Happiness of School Sports Club Participants, Doctoral Degree, Sungkyunkwan University.
- S. Y. Kim. (2013). The Effect of Academic Failure Tolerance, Psychological Growth Environment, and Social Support of Junior High School Students on Their School Happiness, Doctoral Degree, Dong-A University.
- Y. J. Noh. (2017). The Relations between the Determinants of Middle and High School Students' Self-esteem and Feeling of School Happiness, Doctoral Degree, Gachon University.
- C. K. Ha & K. H. Lee. (2002). Differences in Physical Self-Description According to Physical Activity Pattern for Middle and High School Students, Korean Society of Sport Psychology, 13(3), 185-202.
- E. J. Cha, Y. J. Kim & J. H. Huh. (2013). Validation of the Personality Evaluation Questionnaire for School Sport Participation Adolescent, The Korea Journal of Sports Science, 22(2), 361-373.
- S. J. Park, Y. J. Kim & E. J. Cha. (2015). Correlation between Character and Empathy of Middle School Students depending on School Sports Club Involvement, Korean Journal of Sport Pedagogy, 22(3), 135-152.
- S. J. Han. (2016). A Study on the Influence of Participation Type & Degree of an Adolescent's Recreational Activity on Emotional Empathy and Sociality Development, Doctoral Degree, Jeon Ju University.
- S. S. Shin & J. Kim. (2017). An Influence of Personality and Empathy of Participants in High School Sports Club on Resilience and Pro-social Behavior, Journal of Korean Society for the Study of Physical Education, 22(1), 95-110.
- M. W. Hwang & J. H. Do. (2014). The relationship to study of Middle School Sports Club on School Life Satisfaction and Pro-social Behavior, The Korea Journal of Sports Science, 23(5), 45-54.
- S. T. Kim. (2016). Relationship between Emotional Empathy and Multicultural Acceptability of Adolescents Participating in Sports Activity with Multicultural Family Students, Journal of the Korea Entertainment Industry Association, 10(6), 281-290. https://doi.org/10.21184/jkeia.2016.12.10.6.281
- S. A. Seo. (2007). Relationship between empathy ability and leadership life skills of elementary school students, Doctoral Degree, Cheongju National University.
- C. J. Lee & J. H. Huh. (2010). The Effects of Empathy on Self-Esteem and Subjective Well-Being, The Journal of the Acoustical Society of Korea, 29(5), 332-338.
- S. W. Chung. (2014). Affecting Factors on the Multicultural Acceptance of Adolescents, Doctoral Degree, Gong Ju University.