- Volume 10 Issue 1
The purpose of this study are the following two: first, to identify success level of elderly's Aging by their household types and second, to analyze the factors affecting successful aging. The results of this study are expected to be used as basic data for policy and program development for the successful life of the elderly. For this purpose, 699 single household, 1,412 couple household and 238 couple/child household data in personal survey and supplementary survey of the 4th Korean Retirement and Income Study. According to the analysis, the level of successful later life of single household is lower than that of couple or couple/children household. Multiple regression analysis was conducted to identify the factors affecting successful aging in single household. The results showed that economic activity, economic independence, housework, neighborhood affairs, family relations, and parent-child relationship were statistically significant. Economic independence, physical health, friendship, and parent-child relationship were found to affect in couple household. Physical health and friendship were found to be significant factors for successful aging in couple/child household.
Elderly;Successful Aging;Factors;Household Type;Single-Person Household
- KOSIS. (2018). Population Census.
- KOSIS. (2018). Population Statistics Based on Resident Resistration.
- M. H. Kim & K. R. S. (2005). The Study on the Development of the 'Successful Aging' Scale for Korean Elderly. Journal of the Korea Gerontological Society, 25(2), 35-52.
- J. W. Row & R. L. Kahn. (1997). Successful Aging. The Gerontologist, 37(4), 433-440. https://doi.org/10.1093/geront/37.4.433
- H. K. Choi. (2011). Perceived Successful Aging and Consumer Needs of Older People in Korean Society. Consumer Policy and Education Review, 7(2), 23-38.
- H. S. Park. (2012). Research on Relationship between the Preparation for the Old age of the Baby Boomer Generation and their Successful Aging. Journal of Welfare for the Aged, 58, 281-302.
- Wong, P. T. (1989). Personal meaning and successful aging. Canadian Psychology, 30(3), 516-525. https://doi.org/10.1037/h0079829
- M. K. Joo & S. H. Song (2012). Implicit Validation of the Concept of Successful Aging for Korean Elderly. Journal of the Korea Contents Association, 12(2), 505-516.
- M. H. Kim et al. (2005). The Factor of Successful Aging types in Korean Elderly. Journal of the Korea Gerontological Society, 26(1), 91-104.
- H. S. Hong & M. J. Kwak. (2015). Improvement of local government administration in accordance with the impact on seniors of leisure satisfaction Successful Aging. Korean journal of local government and administration studies, 29(4), 199-214.
- I. Kang. (2016). Perceptions of Successful Aging and Preparations for the Later Life among the Baby Boom Cohort. Journal of the Korea Contents Association, 16(9), 460-472. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2016.16.09.460
- B. M. Kim. (2018). Perceptions of Successful Aging and The Influencing Factors in Middle-aged Women, Counselling Support Center for Foreigner, 19(9), 91-99.
- K. Y. Song (2018). The Effects of Preparation for Aging of the Elderly with Disability on Successful Aging & Mediating Effects of Life Satisfaction. GRI Review, 20(2).
- J. H. Song, K. S. Chae & J. W. An. (2016). Influencing Factors on Successful Aging in Community-dwelling and Institutionalized Korean Elderly. Journalof the Korean Society of Living Environment System, 23(1), 1-14. https://doi.org/10.21086/ksles.2016.02.23.1.1
- J. H. Park. (2017). A Longitudinal Effects of Integrated Preparation for Latr Life : Economic Activities and Family Relationship Satisfaction among Middle-Aged Male, Journal of the Korean society for Wellness, 12(4), 189-202. https://doi.org/10.21097/ksw.2017.11.12.4.189
- J. B. Joo & G. H. Ju. (2018). Moderating Effects of Social Network on the Relationship Between Preparation for Old Age and Successful Aging of Baby Boom Generation : Focused on Gender Difference, Journal of the Korean society for Wellness, 13(2), 263-276. https://doi.org/10.21097/ksw.2018.05.13.2.263
- S. J. Hong, M. K. Youn, S. W. Lee, H. K. Ahn & S. Y. You (2013). Influencing Factors on Successful Aging of Middle and Old Aged Men, Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, 14(7), 3275-3283 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2013.14.7.3275
- K. Y. Song. (2018). The Effects of Preparation for Aging of the Elderly on Successful Aging & Mediating Effects of Life Satisfaction, Korean Journal of Gerontological Social Welfare 73(1), 469-503
- Rowe, J. W. & Kahn, R.L.(1999). Successful aging. Pantheon Books, New York.
- Torres, S. (2002). Relational values and ideas regarding 'Successful aging'. Journal of Comparative Family Studies, 33(3), 417-432.
- Vaillant, G. E., & Mukamal, K. (2001). Successful aging. The American Journal of Psychiatry, 158(6), 839-847. https://doi.org/10.1176/appi.ajp.158.6.839
- S. D. Chung. (2007). A Comparative Study on the Successful Aging for Korean Elderly Women and Elderly Men. Journal of the Korea Gerontological Society, 27(4), 829-845.
- S. G. Lee et al. (2006). The Relationship among Participation satisfaction, Loneliness, Successful Aging in Leisure Program Type at Welfare Center for Senior. Korean Journal of Soiology of Sport, 19(1), 133-153.
- J. Y. Jeong & J. S. An. (2010). The Effects of Family Relationships on Successful Aging of the Elderly Men. Journal of the Korean Gerontological Society, 30(2), 535-550.
- K. H. Kim & J. H. Kim. (2009). A Structural Analysis of Successful Aging Factors for Korean Elderly. Journal of the Korean Gerontological Society, 29(1), 71-87.
- Larimore, W. L. & Koeing, H.G. (2001). Rowe and Kahn's model of successful aging revisited: positive spirituality-the forgotten factor. Gerontologist, 42(5), 613-620.
- Crosnoe, R. & Elder, G. (2002). Successful adaptation in the later years: A life course approach to aging. Social Psychology Quartery, 65(4), 309-328. https://doi.org/10.2307/3090105
- Ministry of Health and Welfare. (2018). Health and Welfare White Paper.
- H. J. Kim. (2012). Gender Difference of the Influencing Factors on Successful Aging among Rural Community-dwelling Korean Elders. Journal of the Korean Gerontological Society, 32(3), 819-834.
- Chatters, L. M., Taylor, R. J., & Jackson, J. S.(1985). Size and composition of the informal helper networks of elderly Blacks. Journal of Gerontology, 40, 605-614. https://doi.org/10.1093/geronj/40.5.605
- J. E. Paik & H. K. Choi. (2005). Successful Aging according to Korean Elderly: The Definition, Types, and Predicting Variables. Journal of Korean Home Management Association, 23(3), 1-16.
- D. B. Kim et al. (2012). A Study on the Influence of the Previous Preparation for Successful Aging Life of Elderly and the Mediating Effects of the Life Satisfaction. Korean Journal of Gerontological Social Welfare, 58, 325-352.
- G. A. Adams & B. L. Rau. (2011). Putting off tomorrow to do what you want today: planning for retirement. American Psychologist, 66(3), 180. https://doi.org/10.1037/a0022131
- M. R. Kim. (2013). The effect of pre-older adults' successful ageing and the mediating effect of preparation for older life on the life satisfaction. Jounal of Welfare for the Aged 62, 257-287.
- The Effects of Perceived Successful Aging of the Lower-income Middle-aged on Preparation for later time of their lives. Center for Social Welfare Research Yonsei University, 44, 25-52.
- J. Quadagno. (2010). Aging and the Life Course: An Introduction to Social Gerontology, (193-217) McgrawHill New York: Pantheon Books.
- Cosco, T. D., Prina, A. M., Perales. J., Stephan, B. C. M., & Brayne, C. (2014). Operational definitions of successful aging: a systematic review. International Psychogeriatrics, 26(3), 373-381. https://doi.org/10.1017/S1041610213002287
- Jeong, Y. J., & An, J. S. (2012). Mediating effects of attachment to children between marital intimacy and successful aging of the elderly. Journal of the Korean Gerontological Society, 32(1), 185-206.
- Kim, D. (2008). The Study on the development of the Korean elderly's successful aging scale. Korean Journal of Social Welfare, 60(1), 211-231.
- J. D. Kweon. (2017). Age Welfare, Seoul : Hakjisa.
- Parker, M. H. (2011). Optimizing Resilience in the 21st Century. Resilience in Aging:Concepts, Research, and Outcomes (pp.317-330), Edited by Rensnick, B., New York:Springer.