- Volume 10 Issue 1
The purpose of this study is to obtain a comprehensive understanding of shift nurses' mealtime experience on duty. This study was explored by hermeneutic phenomenological analytic method suggested by van Manen. The participants were shift nurses at two general hospitals in Korea. Six participants were interviewed until information reached saturation point. Data was collected through individual in-depth interviews. The results of study were emerged 7 themes. Each theme was :'Forgetting hunger.', 'Fatigue takes precedence over hunger.', 'Feeling sorry and becoming conscious of other colleagues.', 'Inhale the meal in a short time.', 'Conflicting between responsibility for the patient body and my body', 'They want look for freedom and right through their mealtime.', 'Hope that mealtime is a precious time.' The results of this study are significant in providing a convergence understanding of the working environment of the shift nurses.
- Korea Health Industry Development Institute. (2013). Mid-to-long-term estimation results of 2013 healthcare manpower supply and demand
- S. H. Cho, J. Y. Lee, K. J. June, K. J. Hong & Y. M. Kim. (2016). Nurse Staffing Levels and Proportion of Hospitals and Clinics Meeting the Legal Standard for Nurse Staffing for 1996-2013. Journal of Korean Acad Nurs Adm, 22(3), 209-219, https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2016.22.3.209
- S. Y. Lee & H. J. Kim. (2008). A Study on the improvement of Hospital Staff Structure to Improve the Quality of Medical Service - Centered on nursing personnel. 12.
- J. S. Kook. (2011). Crisis Labor, Crisis Nursing: Labor Nurse Labor Analysis. Research Series, 2011(5), 1-118.
- "Overtime and rest breaks: working to protect nurse & patient safety," 2008;
- A. B. Parsons, J. Knutson. (2013). Frequently Asked Questions About Nurses Meal Breaks. Stat: Bulletin of the Wisconsin Nurses Association, 82(5), 13.
- A. E. Rogers, W. T. Hwang, L. D. Scott. (2004). The effects of work breaks on staff nurse performance. Journal of Nurse Adm, 34(11), 512-519. https://doi.org/10.1097/00005110-200411000-00007
- A. M. Trinkoff, R. Le, J. Geiger-Brown, J. Lipscomb, G. Lang. (2006). Longitudinal relationship of work hours, mandatory overtime, and on-call to musculoskeletal problems in nurses. Am J ind Med, 49(11), 964-971. https://doi.org/10.1002/ajim.20330
- A. Witkoski, V. V. Dickson. (2010). Hospital staff nurses' work hours, meal periods, and rest breaks. A review from an occupational health nurse perspective. Aaohn J. 58(11), 489-497.
- van Manen, M. (1997). Researching lived experience: Human science for an action sensitive pedagogy. London, Ont: Althouse Press.
- J. W. Creswell, D. L. Miller. (2000). Determining validity in qualitative inquiry. Theory into practice, 39(3), 124-130. https://doi.org/10.1207/s15430421tip3903_2
- H. W. Kim. (2017). Mealtime experiences and nursing policy issues during the working hours of nurses working shifts. Master's dissertion. Ewha Womans University, Seoul.
- H. K. Kim, T. Y. Lee & K. H. Kim. (2010). The Effects of Health Promotion Behavior of Shifing Nurses' on the Health Conditions. Journal of the Korea Academia- Industrial cooperation Society. 11(3), 1126-1132. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2010.11.3.1126
- L. P. Phiri, C. E. Draper, E. V. Lambert, T. L. Kolbe-Alexander. (2014). Nurses' lifestyle ehaviours, health priorities and barriers to living a healthy lifestyle: a qualitative descriptive study. Biomedcental Nursing, 13(38), 10.1186/s12912-014-0038-6
- Y. N. Park, H. K. Yang, H. L. Kim & Y. C. Cho. (2007). Relationship between Shift Work, and Sleep Problems and Fatigue Symptoms of Nurses for General Hospitals. Korean Journal of Occupational Health Nursing. 16(1), 37-47.
- D. J. Kim. (1999). Irregular, guick meal is associated with non-ulcer dyspepsia. Korean Academy of Family Medicine. 20(2), 176-185.
- E. Y. Jeon, S. R. Choi & S. S. Han. (2007). Influencing Factors on Health-Promotion Lifestyle of Nurses. Journal of East-West Nursing Research.. 13(1), 40-47.
- J. H. Park. (2017). Turnover Reduction Strategy of New Graduate Nurses. Asia-pacific Journal of Multimedia Services Convergent with Art, Humanities, and Sociology. 7(8), 833-842.
- S. Y. Lee, E. J. Oh, K. M, Sung. (2013). The Experiences of Turnover Intention in Early Stage Nurses. Journal of East-West Nursing Research, 19(2), 168-176. https://doi.org/10.14370/jewnr.2013.19.2.168
- H. Y. Lee. (2014). A study on health behaviors and nutrient intake by dining with family of office workers : using data Korean National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. Master's dissertation. Ewha Womans University, Seoul.
- C. P. Herman. (2015). The social facilitation of eating. A review. Appetite; Social Influences on Eating, 86, 61-73.
- M. S. Jung, H. Y. Song & W. J. Kim. (2018). Convergence study of eating together and mental health 20-30's : Using 6th(2013-2015) Korea National Health ExaminationSurvey(KNHANES VI). Journal of the Korea Convergence Society. 9(6). 287-298.