- Volume 10 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Experience of clinical adaptation of a nurse who obtained a license for a Korean nurse after leaving North Korea
북한이탈 후 한국간호사 면허를 취득한 간호사의 임상적응 경험
Kim, HeeSook;Lee, Do-Young;Seo, Im-sun
- Received : 2018.10.29
- Accepted : 2019.01.20
- Published : 2019.01.28
The purpose of this study is to understand the experience and adaptation of North Korean defector who acquired Korean nurse license and living as a nurse in depth through qualitative data. The study sampled 7 North Korean defector nurses who can express their experiences well, and applied Colaizzi's phenomenological qualitative research method to draw out 5 theme clusters and 14 sub categories. As the result, subjects had proud of becoming nurse in Korea, acknowledged and accepted differences from Korean, wanted to be recognized as the Korean people, and they expected to becoming true Korean nurse by being integrated into Korean society with their passion and challenge toward a new dream. This study has helped to apprehend essence of experience of North Korean defectors as a nurse after acquiring Korean nurse license, and it is expected that it could provided basic data to realistically approach to seeking measures for the subjects to successfully adjust as Korean nurses.
North Korean Defectors;Korean Nurses;Clinical Adaptation;Experience;Qualitative Research
- E. Y. Park & E. J. Lee. (2013). Phenomenology on the Experience of Nursing Students' College Life that have defected from North Korea. The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, 19(3), 351-361. DOI:10.5977/jkasne. 2013.19.3.351 https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2013.19.3.351
- Ministry of unification. (2018), August 10. Status of North Korean defectors. Retreived from : http://www. unikorea.go.kr/unikorea/ business/NKDefectorsPolicy/status/lately/
- Ministry of unification. (2018). Statistics of North Korean defectors. Retreived from :http://www.unikorea. go.kr/unikorea/business/statistics/
- Ministry of unification. (2018c, August 10). Support system of North Korean defectors. Retreived from : http://www.unikorea.go.kr/unikorea/business/NKDefectorsPolicy /settlement/System/
- H. K. Kim. (2010). A Study on the Adaptation of North Korean Defectors. Unpublished master's thesis, Korea University, Seoul, Korea.
- E. M. Park, J. S. Park & Jung, T. Y. (2009). Effects of stresses and potential moderators on school adjustments of undergraduates from North Korea. The Korean Journal of Stress Research, 17(3), 285-293.
- T. D. Kim & S. S. Choi. (2008). The Study of the Academic Maladjustment of Sateomin (North Korean Defectors) College Students. The Study of the Academic Maladjustment of Sateomin (North Korean Defectors) College Students. Korean Association of Youth Welfare, 10(3), 255-276.
- Korea Hana Foundation. (2018a). 2017 North Korean defectors' social integration survey. Seoul: Korea Hana Foundation.
- C. Y. Cha, K. E. Lee, Y. R. Kweon & Jeong, H. J. (2016). The Experience of Setumin College Students' Adaptation to the Nursing Education in South Korea. The Academy of Qualitative Research, 17(1), 22-38. https://doi.org/10.22284/qr.2016.17.1.22
- H. K. Lee (2006). North Korean Students in the South Korean School System, Educational Criticism, 21.
- H. S. Kim, G. O. Noh, D. Y. Lee, J. K. Park, I. S. Seo, & G. I. Jung, et al. (2018). Unification & health in nursing. Seoul: Hyunmoon.
- P. Colaizzi. (1978). Psychological Research as the Phenomenologist Views, Existential Phenomenological Alternatives for Psychology. New York: Oxford University Press.
- Y. S. Lincoln & E. G. Guba. (1985).Naturalistic inquiry. Beverly Hills, CA: SAGE.
- Korea Hana Foundation. (2018-b). 2017 North Korean defectors' settled survey. Seoul: Korea Hana Foundation.
- M. Safi. (2010). Immigrants' life satisfaction in Europe : Between assimilation and discrimination. European Sociological Review, 26(2), 159-176. https://doi.org/10.1093/esr/jcp013
- I. S. Lee. (2017). Factors affecting the attitudes of nursing college students toward North Korean Refugees. Journal Korean Academy Social Home Care Nurse, 24(1), 44-51.
- E. H. Ro. (2016). A narrative inquiry into successful employment experience of North Korean migrant young people who graduated from university in South Korea. Unpublished master's thesis, Ewha University, Seoul, Korea.
- M. Y. Lee. (2015). An integrative Literature Review on Integration Support for North Korean Migrants in South Korea. The Korean Child and Family Welfare Association, 49, 39-69.
- Korea Women's Development Institute. (2018b). A Study on the current status of north korean female defector's adaptation in work places and policy projects.Seoul: Korea Women's Development Institute.
- I. H. Lee & H. J. Choi. (2017). Factors Influencing Social Adaptation of North Korean Defectors. Journal of Korean Public Health Nursing, 31,(2), 341-351. DOI:10.5932/JKPHN. 2017.31.2.341
Supported by : Dongnam Health University