- Volume 13 Issue 2
BACKGROUND/OBJECTIVES: This study examined the association between refined grain consumption by subtype and the incidence of hypertension from the Korean Genome and Epidemiology Study data. SUBJECTS/METHODS: In total, 5,018 participants (2,439 men and 2,579 women) from 40 to 69 years without hypertension were recruited at the beginning (2001-2002). Blood pressure and antihypertensive medication use were assessed biennially for the incidence of hypertension during the 8-year follow-up period (2009-2010). Hypertension was diagnosed as systolic blood pressure
- Sarafidis PA, Georgianos PI, Zebekakis PE. Comparative epidemiology of resistant hypertension in chronic kidney disease and the general hypertensive population. Semin Nephrol 2014;34:483-91. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.semnephrol.2014.08.001
- GBD 2015 Risk Factors Collaborators. Global, regional, and national comparative risk assessment of 79 behavioural, environmental and occupational, and metabolic risks or clusters of risks, 1990-2015: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2015. Lancet 2016;388:1659-724. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(16)31679-8
- Hardy ST, Loehr LR, Butler KR, Chakladar S, Chang PP, Folsom AR, Heiss G, MacLehose RF, Matsushita K, Avery CL. Reducing the blood pressure-related burden of cardiovascular disease: impact of achievable improvements in blood pressure prevention and control. J Am Heart Assoc 2015;4:e002276.
- Benjamin EJ, Blaha MJ, Chiuve SE, Cushman M, Das SR, Deo R, de Ferranti SD, Floyd J, Fornage M, Gillespie C, Isasi CR, Jimenez MC, Jordan LC, Judd SE, Lackland D, Lichtman JH, Lisabeth L, Liu S, Longenecker CT, Mackey RH, Matsushita K, Mozaffarian D, Mussolino ME, Nasir K, Neumar RW, Palaniappan L, Pandey DK, Thiagarajan RR, Reeves MJ, Ritchey M, Rodriguez CJ, Roth GA, Rosamond WD, Sasson C, Towfighi A, Tsao CW, Turner MB, Virani SS, Voeks JH, Willey JZ, Wilkins JT, Wu JH, Alger HM, Wong SS, Muntner P; American Heart Association Statistics Committee and Stroke Statistics Subcommittee. Heart disease and stroke statistics-2017 update: a report from the American Heart Association. Circulation 2017;135:e146-603.
- Kim HC, Cho MC; The Korean Society Hypertension; Hypertension Epidemiology Research Working Group. Korea hypertension fact sheet 2018. Clin Hypertens 2018;24:13. https://doi.org/10.1186/s40885-018-0098-0
- Harrington JM, Fitzgerald AP, Kearney PM, McCarthy VJ, Madden J, Browne G, Dolan E, Perry IJ. DASH diet score and distribution of blood pressure in middle-aged men and women. Am J Hypertens 2013;26:1311-20. https://doi.org/10.1093/ajh/hpt106
- Saneei P, Salehi-Abargouei A, Esmaillzadeh A, Azadbakht L. Influence of Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension (DASH) diet on blood pressure: a systematic review and meta-analysis on randomized controlled trials. Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis 2014;24:1253-61. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.numecd.2014.06.008
- Tighe P, Duthie G, Vaughan N, Brittenden J, Simpson WG, Duthie S, Mutch W, Wahle K, Horgan G, Thies F. Effect of increased consumption of whole-grain foods on blood pressure and other cardiovascular risk markers in healthy middle-aged persons: a randomized controlled trial. Am J Clin Nutr 2010;92:733-40. https://doi.org/10.3945/ajcn.2010.29417
- Bahadoran Z, Mirmiran P, Delshad H, Azizi F. White rice consumption is a risk factor for metabolic syndrome in Tehrani adults: a prospective approach in Tehran lipid and glucose study. Arch Iran Med 2014;17:435-40.
- Wang L, Gaziano JM, Liu S, Manson JE, Buring JE, Sesso HD. Wholeand refined-grain intakes and the risk of hypertension in women. Am J Clin Nutr 2007;86:472-9. https://doi.org/10.1093/ajcn/86.2.472
- Behall KM, Scholfield DJ, Hallfrisch J. Whole-grain diets reduce blood pressure in mildly hypercholesterolemic men and women. J Am Diet Assoc 2006;106:1445-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jada.2006.06.010
- Flint AJ, Hu FB, Glynn RJ, Jensen MK, Franz M, Sampson L, Rimm EB. Whole grains and incident hypertension in men. Am J Clin Nutr 2009;90:493-8. https://doi.org/10.3945/ajcn.2009.27460
- Shin HJ, Cho E, Lee HJ, Fung TT, Rimm E, Rosner B, Manson JE, Wheelan K, Hu FB. Instant noodle intake and dietary patterns are associated with distinct cardiometabolic risk factors in Korea. J Nutr 2014;144:1247-55. https://doi.org/10.3945/jn.113.188441
- Huh IS, Kim H, Jo HK, Lim CS, Kim JS, Kim SJ, Kwon O, Oh B, Chang N. Instant noodle consumption is associated with cardiometabolic risk factors among college students in Seoul. Nutr Res Pract 2017;11:232-9. https://doi.org/10.4162/nrp.2017.11.3.232
- Kim S, Moon S, Popkin BM. The nutrition transition in South Korea. Am J Clin Nutr 2000;71:44-53. https://doi.org/10.1093/ajcn/71.1.44
- Yoneyama S, Sakurai M, Nakamura K, Morikawa Y, Miura K, Nakashima M, Yoshita K, Ishizaki M, Kido T, Naruse Y, Nogawa K, Suwazono Y, Sasaki S, Nakagawa H. Associations between rice, noodle, and bread intake and sleep quality in Japanese men and women. PLoS One 2014;9:e105198. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0105198
- Korea Health Industry Development Institute. National Food & Nutrition Statistics II: based on 2014 Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. Cheongju: Korea Health Industry Development Institute; 2016.
- Baek TH, Lee HY, Lim NK, Park HY. Gender differences in the association between socioeconomic status and hypertension incidence: the Korean Genome and Epidemiology Study (KoGES). BMC Public Health 2015;15:852. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12889-015-2175-6
- Willett W. Nutritional Epidemiology. New York (NY): Oxford University Press; 2013.
- Ahn Y, Kwon E, Shim JE, Park MK, Joo Y, Kimm K, Park C, Kim DH. Validation and reproducibility of food frequency questionnaire for Korean genome epidemiologic study. Eur J Clin Nutr 2007;61:1435-41. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.ejcn.1602657
- The Korean Nutrition Society. Recommended Dietary Allowances for Koreans. Seoul: The Korean Nutrition Society; 2000.
- Chalmers J, MacMahon S, Mancia G, Whitworth J, Beilin L, Hansson L, Neal B, Rodgers A, Ni Mhurchu C, Clark T. 1999 World Health Organization-International Society of Hypertension guidelines for the management of hypertension. Guidelines sub-committee of the World Health Organization. Clin Exp Hypertens 1999;21:1009-60. https://doi.org/10.3109/10641969909061028
- Ainsworth BE, Haskell WL, Whitt MC, Irwin ML, Swartz AM, Strath SJ, O'Brien WL, Bassett DR Jr, Schmitz KH, Emplaincourt PO, Jacobs DR Jr, Leon AS. Compendium of physical activities: an update of activity codes and MET intensities. Med Sci Sports Exerc 2000;32:S498-504. https://doi.org/10.1097/00005768-200009001-00009
- SAS Institute. SAS software. Cary (NC): SAS Institute; 2013.
- Hernan MA, Hernandez-Diaz S, Werler MM, Mitchell AA. Causal knowledge as a prerequisite for confounding evaluation: an application to birth defects epidemiology. Am J Epidemiol 2002;155:176-84. https://doi.org/10.1093/aje/155.2.176
- Hess KR. Graphical methods for assessing violations of the proportional hazards assumption in Cox regression. Stat Med 1995;14:1707-23. https://doi.org/10.1002/sim.4780141510
- Schoenfeld D. Partial residuals for the proportional hazards regression model. Biometrika 1982;69:239-41. https://doi.org/10.1093/biomet/69.1.239
- Esmaillzadeh A, Mirmiran P, Azizi F. Whole-grain consumption and the metabolic syndrome: a favorable association in Tehranian adults. Eur J Clin Nutr 2005;59:353-62. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.ejcn.1602080
- Radhika G, Van Dam RM, Sudha V, Ganesan A, Mohan V. Refined grain consumption and the metabolic syndrome in urban Asian Indians (Chennai urban rural epidemiology study 57). Metabolism 2009;58:675-81. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.metabol.2009.01.008
- Bai G, Zhang J, Zhao C, Wang Y, Qi Y, Zhang B. Adherence to a healthy lifestyle and a DASH-style diet and risk of hypertension in Chinese individuals. Hypertens Res 2017;40:196-202. https://doi.org/10.1038/hr.2016.119
- Nissensohn M, Roman-Vinas B, Sanchez-Villegas A, Piscopo S, Serra-Majem L. The effect of the Mediterranean diet on hypertension: a systematic review and meta-analysis. J Nutr Educ Behav 2016;48:42-53.e1. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jneb.2015.08.023
- Sacks FM, Svetkey LP, Vollmer WM, Appel LJ, Bray GA, Harsha D, Obarzanek E, Conlin PR, Miller ER 3rd, Simons-Morton DG, Karanja N, Lin PH, Aickin M, Most-Windhauser MM, Moore TJ, Proschan MA, Cutler JA; DASH-Sodium Collaborative Research Group. Effects on blood pressure of reduced dietary sodium and the Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension (DASH) diet. N Engl J Med 2001;344:3-10. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJM200101043440101
- Lee JW, Lee YH. Frequency of instant noodle (Ramyeon) intake and food value recognition and their relationship to blood lipid levels of male adolescents in rural area. Korean J Community Nutr 2003;8:485-94.
- Hartley L, May MD, Loveman E, Colquitt JL, Rees K. Dietary fibre for the primary prevention of cardiovascular disease. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2016;CD011472.
- Ong KL, Tso AW, Lam KS, Cheung BM. Gender difference in blood pressure control and cardiovascular risk factors in Americans with diagnosed hypertension. Hypertension 2008;51:1142-8. https://doi.org/10.1161/HYPERTENSIONAHA.107.105205
- Reckelhoff JF. Sex steroids, cardiovascular disease, and hypertension: unanswered questions and some speculations. Hypertension 2005;45:170-4. https://doi.org/10.1161/01.HYP.0000151825.36598.36
- Orshal JM, Khalil RA. Gender, sex hormones, and vascular tone. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 2004;286:R233-49. https://doi.org/10.1152/ajpregu.00338.2003
- Balan H, Popescu L. "Gender specific medicine": a focus on genderdifferences in hypertension. Rom J Intern Med 2014;52:129-41.
- Doumas M, Papademetriou V, Faselis C, Kokkinos P. Gender differences in hypertension: myths and reality. Curr Hypertens Rep 2013;15:321-30. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11906-013-0359-y
- Wang L, Szklo M, Folsom AR, Cook NR, Gapstur SM, Ouyang P. Endogenous sex hormones, blood pressure change, and risk of hypertension in postmenopausal women: the multi-ethnic study of atherosclerosis. Atherosclerosis 2012;224:228-34. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.atherosclerosis.2012.07.005
- Pechere-Bertschi A, Burnier M. Female sex hormones, salt, and blood pressure regulation. Am J Hypertens 2004;17:994-1001. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amjhyper.2004.08.009
- Nowson CA, Morgan TO, Gibbons C. Decreasing dietary sodium while following a self-selected potassium-rich diet reduces blood pressure. J Nutr 2003;133:4118-23. https://doi.org/10.1093/jn/133.12.4118
- Kang Y, Kim J. Association between fried food consumption and hypertension in Korean adults. Br J Nutr 2016;115:87-94. https://doi.org/10.1017/S000711451500402X
- Kloner RA, Sowers JR, DiBona GF, Gaffney M, Wein M. Sex- and age-related antihypertensive effects of amlodipine. The amlodipine cardiovascular community trial study group. Am J Cardiol 1996;77:713-22. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0002-9149(97)89205-3
- Saunders E, Cable G, Neutel J. Predictors of blood pressure response to angiotensin receptor blocker/diuretic combination therapy: a secondary analysis of the irbesartan/hydrochlorothiazide blood pressure reductions in diverse patient populations (INCLUSIVE) study. J Clin Hypertens (Greenwich) 2008;10:27-33.
- Song S, Young Paik H, Song WO, Song Y. Metabolic syndrome risk factors are associated with white rice intake in Korean adolescent girls and boys. Br J Nutr 2015;113:479-87. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0007114514003845
- Ahn Y, Park SJ, Kwack HK, Kim MK, Ko KP, Kim SS. Rice-eating pattern and the risk of metabolic syndrome especially waist circumference in Korean Genome and Epidemiology Study (KoGES). BMC Public Health 2013;13:61. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2458-13-61
- Shi Z, Taylor AW, Hu G, Gill T, Wittert GA. Rice intake, weight change and risk of the metabolic syndrome development among Chinese adults: the Jiangsu Nutrition Study (JIN). Asia Pac J Clin Nutr 2012;21:35-43.
- Htun NC, Suga H, Imai S, Shimizu W, Ishikawa-Takata K, Takimoto H. Dietary pattern and its association with blood pressure and blood lipid profiles among Japanese adults in the 2012 Japan National Health and Nutrition Survey. Asia Pac J Clin Nutr 2018;27:1048-61
Supported by : National Research Foundation of Korea (NRF)