- Volume 24 Issue 1
This study was to objectify differences in the results of odor testing according to the characteristics of panel members that participate in air dilution olfactory method (ADOM) testing. When differences in the results of olfactory testing were reviewed in relation to characteristics of the panelists, the result of entire panels for the site boundary Proficiency Testing Materials (PTMs) showed no difference according to panelist sex, age, smoking status, and past participation in ADOM tests. As for the outlet PTMs, distinct differences appeared in relation to the smoking status and age of panelists. The frequency distribution for all the panelists (Dev(
Odor;Olfactory sense;Olfactory test;Panelists;Proficiency testing materials
- Curren J. Characterization of odor nuisance. California: Univ. of California; 2012.
- Gebicki J. Application of electrochemical sensors and sensor matrixes for measurement of odorous chemical compounds. TrAC Trends Anal. Chem. 2016;77:1-13. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.trac.2015.10.005
- Munoz R, Sivret EC, Parcsi G, et al. Monitoring techniques for odour abatement assessment. Water Res. 2010;44:5129-5149. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.watres.2010.06.013
- Wilson AD, Baietto M. Applications and advances in electronic-nose technologies. Sensors 2009;9:5099-5148. https://doi.org/10.3390/s90705099
- Ministry of Environment. Odor analysis method in South Korea. Korea's Ministry of Environment; 2014.
- Kim JB, Jeong SJ. The relationship between odor unit and odorous compounds in control areas using multiple regression analysis. J. Environ. Health Sci. 2009;35:191-200.
- Kim JB, Jeong SJ, Song IS. The concentrations of sulfur compounds and sensation of odor in the residential area around Banwol-Sihwa industrial complex. J. Korean Soc. Atmos. Environ. 2007;23:147-157. https://doi.org/10.5572/KOSAE.2007.23.2.147
- Gebicki J, Bylinski H, Namiesnik J. Measurement techniques for assessing the olfactory impact of municipal sewage treatment plants. Environ. Monit. Assess. 2016;188:1-15. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10661-015-4999-z
- Kaneda H, Maeshima K, Goto N, Kobayakawa T, Kanamura S, Saito S. Decline in taste and odor discrimination abilities with age, and relationship between gustation and olfaction. Chem. Senses 2000;25:331-337. https://doi.org/10.1093/chemse/25.3.331
- Barkat S, Le Berre E, Coureaud G, Sicard G, Thomas-Danguin T. Perceptual blending in odor mixtures depends on the nature of odorants and human olfactory expertise. Chem. Senses 2012;37:159-166. https://doi.org/10.1093/chemse/bjr086
- Sorokowska A, Sorokowski P, Frackowiak T. Determinants of human olfactory performance: A cross-cultural study. Sci. Total Environ. 2015;506-507:196-200. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2014.11.027
- Sulmont-Rosse C, Maitre I, Amand M, et al. Evidence for different patterns of chemosensory alterations in the elderly population: Impact of age versus dependency. Chem. Senses 2015;40:153-164. https://doi.org/10.1093/chemse/bju112
- European committee for standardization. CSN EN 13725 - Air quality - Determination of odour concentration by dynamic olfactometry; 2003.
- Kim ST, Lee SJ, Hong SY, et al. The study on VOCs PTMs (Proficiency Testing Materials) as a complex malodor sampler for air dilution olfactory method. J. Korean Soc. Odor Res. Eng. 2013;12:59-68. https://doi.org/10.11161/jkosore.2013.12.2.59
- ISO 6142. Gas analysis - Preparation of calibration gas mixtures - Gravimetric method. 2001.
- ISO 6143. Gas analysis - Comparison methods for determining and checking the composition of calibration gas mixtures. 2001.
- Lee SJ, Yim B, Cho SJ, Choi SH, Kim MO, Kim ST. Analysis of error cases induced with regard to the calculation of the dilution factor during the proficiency test of certified odor measurement agencies. J. Odor Indoor Environ. 2014;13:290-296. https://doi.org/10.15250/joie.2014.13.4.290
- Bliss PJ, Schulz TJ, Senger T, Kaye RB. Odour measurement - Factors affecting olfactometry panel performance. Water Sci. Technol. 1996;34:549-556. https://doi.org/10.2166/wst.1996.0475
- Yousem DM, Maldjian JA, Siddiqu F, et al. Gender effects on odor-stimulated functional magnetic resonance imaging. Brain Res. 1999;818:480-487. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0006-8993(98)01276-1
Supported by : Daejeon University