- Volume 24 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Risk assessment of heavy metals in soil based on the geographic information system-Kriging technique in Anka, Nigeria
Johnbull, Onisoya;Abbassi, Bassim;Zytner, Richard G.
- Received : 2018.03.31
- Accepted : 2018.07.12
- Published : 2019.03.31
Soil contaminated with heavy metals from artisanal gold mining in Anka Local Government Area in Northwestern Nigeria was investigated to evaluate the human health risk as a result of heavy metals. Measured concentration of heavy metals and exposure parameters were used to estimate human carcinogenic and non-carcinogenic risk. GIS-based Kriging method was utilized to create a prediction maps of human health risks and probability maps of heavy metals concentrations exceeding their threshold limits. Hazard index calculation showed that 21 out of 23 locations are posing non-cancer risk for children. Adults and children are at high cancer risk in all locations as the total cancer risk exceeded
Carcinogenic;Heavy metals;Human risk assessment;Kriging;Non-carcinogenic
- Uriah L, Kenneth T, Rhoda G, Ayuba M. Lead and mercury contamination associated with artisanal gold mining in Anka, Zamfara State, North Western Nigeria: The continued unabated Zamfara lead poisoning. J. Earth Sci. Eng. 2013;3:764-775.
- Zhao L, Xu Y, Hou H, Shangguan Y, Li F. Source identification and health risk assessment of metals in urban soils around the Tanggu chemical industrial district, Tianjin. China Sci. Total Environ. 2014;468-469:654-662. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2013.08.094
- Wei B, Yang L. A review of heavy metal contaminations in urban soils, urban road dusts and agricultural soils from China. Microchem. J. 2010;94:99-107. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.microc.2009.09.014
- Olujimi O, Oputu O, Fatoki O, Opatoyinbo E, Aroyewun A, Baruani J. Heavy metals speciation and human health risk assessment at an illegal gold mining site in Igun, Osun State, Nigeria. J. Health Pollut. 2015;5:19-32. https://doi.org/10.5696/i2156-9614-5-8.19
- Doctors Without Borders. Lead poisoning crisis in Zamfara State, Northern Nigeria. c2012. [Cited 30 November 2017]. Available from: http://www.doctorswithoutborders.org/newsstories/briefing-document/lead-poisoning-crisis-zamfarastate-northern-nigeria.
- Bartrem C, Tirima S, von Lindern I, et al. Unknown risk: Co-exposure to lead and other heavy metals among children living in small-scale mining communities in Zamfara State, Nigeria. Int. J. Environ. Health Res. 2014;24:304-319. https://doi.org/10.1080/09603123.2013.835028
- Tech ET. Determination of some heavy metals in wastewater and sediment of artisanal gold local mining site of Abare Area in Nigeria. J. Environ. Treat. Tech. 2013;1:174-182.
- Abdu N, Yusuf A. Human health risk characterization of lead pollution in contaminated farmlands of Abare village, Zamfara State, Nigeria. Afr. J. Environ. Sci. Technol. 2013;7:911-916.
- Mohammed I, Abdu N. Horizontal and vertical distribution of lead, cadmium, and zinc in farmlands around a lead-contaminated goldmine in Zamfara, Northern Nigeria. Arch. Environ. Contam. Toxicol. 2014;66:295-302. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00244-013-9968-3
- Acosta JA, Faz A, Martinez-Martinez S, Zornoza R, Carmona DM, Kabas S. Multivariate statistical and GIS-based approach to evaluate heavy metals behavior in mine sites for future reclamation. J. Geochem. Explor. 2011;109:8-17. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gexplo.2011.01.004
- Antunes IM, Albuquerque MT. Using indicator kriging for the evaluation of arsenic potential contamination in an abandoned mining area (Portugal). Sci. Total Environ. 2013;442:545-552. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2012.10.010
- Acosta JA, Faz A, Martinez P, et al. Environmental risk assessment of tailings ponds using geophysical and geochemical techniques. In: Assessment, restoration and reclamation of mining influenced soils. 2017. p. 135-148.
- Liang CP, Chen JS, Chien YC, Chen CF. Spatial analysis of the risk to human health from exposure to arsenic contaminated groundwater: A kriging approach. Sci. Total Environ. 2018;627:1048-1057. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2018.01.294
- Largueche FZ. Estimating soil contamination with Kriging interpolation method. Am. J. Appl. Sci. 2006;3:1894-1898. https://doi.org/10.3844/ajassp.2006.1894.1898
- Jia G, Taflanidis AA. Kriging metamodeling for approximation of high-dimensional wave and surge responses in real-time storm/hurricane risk assessment. Comput. Methods Appl. Mech. Eng. 2013;261:24-38.
- Goovaerts P. Geostatistical approaches for incorporating elevation into the spatial interpolation of rainfall. J. hydrol. 2000;228:113-129. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-1694(00)00144-X
- Lin YP, Chang TK, Teng TP. Characterization of soil lead by comparing sequential Gaussian simulation, simulated annealing simulation and kriging methods. Environ. Geol. 2001;41:189-199. https://doi.org/10.1007/s002540100382
- McGrath D, Zhang C, Carton OT. Geostatistical analyses and hazard assessment on soil lead in Silvermines area, Ireland. Environ. Pollut. 2004;127:239-248. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.envpol.2003.07.002
- Tobler WR. A computer movie simulating urban growth in the Detroit region. Econ. Geogr. 1970;46:234-240. https://doi.org/10.2307/143141
- Salati LK, Mireku-Gyimah D, Eshun PA. Evaluation of stakeholders' roles in the management of artisanal and small-scale gold mining in Anka, Zamfara State, Nigeria. Evaluation 2014;4:19.
- Nigeria National Census. National Population Commission. 2006. Abuja, Nigeria.
- USEPA. Exposure factors handbook. Office of Research and Development, Washington, DC, USA. 1997.
- Man YB, Sun XL, Zhao YG, et al. Health risk assessment of abandoned agricultural soils based on heavy metal contents in Hong Kong, the world's most populated city. Environ. Int. 2010;36:570-576. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.envint.2010.04.014
- Wang Z, Chai L, Yang Z, Wang Y, Wang H. Identifying sources and assessing potential risk of heavy metals in soils from direct exposure to children in a mine-impacted city, Changsha, China. J. Environ. Qual. 2010;39:1616-1623. https://doi.org/10.2134/jeq2010.0007
- Health Canada. Federal contaminated site risk assessment in Canada, Part V: Guidance on human health detailed quantitative risk assessment for chemicals (DQRAChem). c2010. [Cited 30 November 2017]. Available from: http://publications.gc.ca/collections/collection_2011/sc-hc/H128-1-11-639-eng.pdf.
- USEPA. Supplemental guidance for developing soil screening levels for Superfund sites. Office of Solid Waste and Emergency Response, Washington D.C. 2002. OSWER 9355.4-24,
- Yuswir NS, Praveena SM, Aris AZ, Ismail SNS, Hashim Z. Health risk assessment of heavy metal in urban surface soil (Klang District, Malaysia). Bull. Environ. Contam. Toxicol. 2015;95:80-89 https://doi.org/10.1007/s00128-015-1544-2
- Chiroma TM, Ebewele RO, Hymore FK. Comparative assessment of heavy metal levels in soil, vegetables and urban grey waste water used for irrigation in Yola and Kano. Int. Refereed J. Eng. Sci. 2014;3:1-9.
- Canadian Ministry of the Environment. Soil, ground water and sediment standards for use under Part XV.1 of the environmental protection act. Canadian Ministry of the Environment: Toronto, ON, Canada; 2009.
- USEPA. Exposure factors handbook 2011 edition (Final report). U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Washington D.C. EPA/600/R-09/052F, 2011.
- USEPA. Screening Levels (RSL) for chemical contaminants at superfund sites. U.S. Environmental Protection Agency; 2011.
- USDOE. The Risk Assessment Information System (RAIS). U.S. Department of Energy's Oak Ridge Operations Office (ORO); 2011.
- USEPA. Risk-based Concentration Table. Philadelphia PA: United States Environmental Protection Agency, Washington D.C., USA; 2009.
- USEPA. Integrated risk information system (IRIS). United States Environmental Protection Agency, Washington D.C., USA; 2010.