- Volume 22 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Renoprotective Effect of Plantago major Against Proteinuria and Apoptosis Induced by Adriamycin in Rat
Yazd, Zohreh Naji Ebrahimi;Noshahr, Zahra Samadi;Hosseinian, Sara;Shafei, Mohammad Naser;Bideskan, Alireza Ebrahimzadeh;Mohebbati, Reza;Heravi, Nazanin Entezari;Shahraki, Samira;Mahzari, Somayeh;Rad, Abolfazl Khajavi
- Received : 2018.10.17
- Accepted : 2019.02.11
- Published : 2019.03.31
Objective: Adriamycin (ADR) is an important anti-cancer drug which can cause renal toxicity. Given the known anti-inflammatory and antioxidant effects of Plantago major (P. major), the aim of this study was to determine the effects of hydroalcoholic extract of P. major on ADR- induced nephropathy in rats. Methods: Fifty male Wistar albino rats were randomly divided into 5 groups including: control, ADR (5 mg/kg), ADR + P. major (600 and 1200 mg/kg) and P. major (1200 mg/kg). The animals were treated with P. major extract for 5 consecutive weeks and ADR was intravenously injected on the 7th day of the study. Urine and serum samples were collected on days 0, 14, 21, 28, and 35 for the measurement of serum cholesterol and albumin levels and urine protein excretion rate. At the end of the study, the left kidneys were removed for apoptosis assessment. Results: Administration of ADR significantly decreased serum albumin level and increased serum cholesterol and urine protein excretion rate as well as, apoptotic cell numbers compared to the control group (P < 0.001) while had no effect on glomerular filtration rate (P > 0.05). Treatment with P. major, in both 600 and 1200 mg/kg doses, increased serum albumin level and decreased serum cholesterol concentration, urine protein excretion rate and as well as the number of apoptotic cell compared to the ADR group (P < 0.001). Conclusion: Our results showed that the P. major extract effectively protects against ADR- induced nephropathy by reducing kidney apoptosis and improving renal functioning in rats.
adriamycin;nephrotic syndrome;Plantago major;apoptosis;rat;extract
- Ayla S, Seckin I, Tanriverdi G, Cengiz M, Eser M, Soner B, et al. Doxorubicin induced nephrotoxicity: protective effect of nicotinamide. Int J cell biol. 2011;2011:1-9.
- Kaneko Y, Narita I. Nephritis and nephrotic syndrome. Jpn J Nephrol. 2013;55(1):35-41.
- El-Sayed ESM, Mansour AM, El-Sawy WS. Alpha lipoic acid prevents doxorubicin-induced nephrotoxicity by mitigation of oxidative stress, inflammation, and apoptosis in rats. J Biochem Mol Toxicol. 2017;31(9):e21940. https://doi.org/10.1002/jbt.21940
- Mohebbati R, Shafei MN, Beheshti F, Soukhtanloo M, Roshan NM, Anaeigoudari A, et al. Mixed hydroalcoholic extracts of Nigella sativa and Curcuma longa improves adriamycin-induced renal injury in rat. Saudi J Kidney Dis Transpl. 2017;28(6):1270. https://doi.org/10.4103/1319-2442.220880
- Heravi NE, Hosseinian S, Yazd ZNE, Shafei MN, Bideskan AE, Shahraki S, et al. Doxorubicin- induced renal inflammation in rats: Protective role of Plantago major. Avicenna J phytomed. 2018;8(2):179.
- Khazdair MR, Mohebbati R, Karimi S, Abbasnezhad A, Haghshenas M. The protective effects of Curcuma longa extract on oxidative stress markers in the liver induced by Adriamycin in rat. Physiol Pharmacol. 2016;20(1):31-7.
- Lou H, Kaur K, Sharma AK, Singal PK. Adriamycin-induced oxidative stress, activation of MAP kinases and apoptosis in isolated cardiomyocytes. Pathophysiology. 2006;13(2):103-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pathophys.2006.02.004
- Berthiaume JM, Wallace KB. Adriamycin-induced oxidative mitochondrial cardiotoxicity. Cell Biology and Toxicology. 2007;23(1):15-25. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10565-006-0140-y
- Yilmaz S, Atessahin A, Sahna E, Karahan I, Ozer S. Protective effect of lycopene on adriamycin- induced cardiotoxicity and nephrotoxicity. Toxicology. 2006;218(2):164-71. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tox.2005.10.015
- Haddadian K, Zahmatkash M. A review of Plantago plant. Indian J Trad Know. 2014;13(4):681-5.
- Samuelsen AB. The traditional uses, chemical constituents and biological activities of Plantago major L. A review. J ethnopharmacol. 2000;71(1):1-21. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0378-8741(00)00212-9
- Gomez-Flores R, Calderon C, Scheibel L, Tamez Guerra P, Rodriguez-Padilla C, Tamez-Guerra R, et al. Immunoenhancing properties of Plantago major leaf extract. Phytother Res. 2000;14(8):617-22. https://doi.org/10.1002/1099-1573(200012)14:8<617::AID-PTR674>3.0.CO;2-N
- Nunez Guillen ME, da Silva Emim JA, Souccar C, Lapa AJ. Analgesic and Anti-inflammatory Activities of the Aqueous Extract of Plantago major L. Int J Pharmacog. 1997;35(2):99-104. https://doi.org/10.1076/phbi.18.104.22.16888
- Parhizgar S, Hosseinian S, Hadjzadeh M-A-R, Soukhtanloo M, Ebrahimzadeh A, Mohebbati R, et al. Renoprotective Effect of Plantago Major Against Nephrotoxicity and Oxidative Stress Induced by Cisplatin. Iran J kidney dis. 2016;10(4).
- Mohebbati R, Shafei MN, Soukhtanloo M, Roshan NM, Rad AK, Anaeigoudari A, et al. Adriamycin-induced oxidative stress is prevented by mixed hydro-alcoholic extract of Nigella sativa and Curcuma longa in rat kidney. Avicenna J phytomed. 2016;6(1):86. https://doi.org/10.4103/2231-0770.184069
- Olson BJSC, Markwell J. Assays for Determination of Protein Concentration. Current Protocols in Protein Science: John Wiley & Sons, Inc.; 2001.
- Abdel-Wahab A, Mahmoud W, Al-Harizy R. Comparative Renal Protective Effects of Canagliflozin and Telmisartan in a Rat Model of Diabetic Nephropathy. J Nephrol Renal Ther. 2016;2(10):2-8.
- de Fatima Pereira W, Brito-Melo GEA, de Almeida CAS, Moreira LL, Cordeiro CW, Carvalho TGR, et al. The experimental model of nephrotic syndrome induced by Doxorubicin in rodents: an update. Inflammation Res. 2015;64(5):287-301. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00011-015-0813-1
- Espinosa C, Lopez-Jimenez JA, Perez-Llamas F, Guardiola FA, Esteban MA, Arnao MB, et al. Long-term intake of white tea prevents oxidative damage caused by adriamycin in kidney of rats. J Sci Food Agric. 2016;96(9):3079-87. https://doi.org/10.1002/jsfa.7483
- You H, Lu Y, Gui D, Peng A, Chen J, Gu Y. Aqueous extract of Astragali Radix ameliorates proteinuria in adriamycin nephropathy rats through inhibition of oxidative stress and endothelial nitric oxide synthaseJ Ethnopharmacol. 2011;134(1):176-82. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jep.2010.11.064
- Diez R, Garcia JJ, Diez MJ, Sierra M, Sahagun AM, Calle AP, et al. Hypoglycemic and hypolipidemic potential of a high fiber diet in healthy versus diabetic rabbits. BioMed res int. 2013;2013:1-8.
- Yang Q, Qi M, Tong R, Wang D, Ding L, Li Z, et al. Plantago asiatica L. Seed Extract Improves Lipid Accumulation and Hyperglycemia in High-Fat Diet-Induced Obese Mice. Int J mol sci. 2017;18(7):1393. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijms18071393
- Egorov TA, Galkina T, Balashova T, Arsen'ev A, Nikonorova A, Babakov A, et al. Phenolic glycoside isolated from seeds of the greater plantain (Plantago major L.). Doklady Biochem Biophys. 2004;396(1-6):132-5. https://doi.org/10.1023/B:DOBI.0000033510.77794.a8
- Kho MC, Park JH, Han BH, Tan R, Yoon JJ, Kim HY, et al. Plantago asiatica L. Ameliorates Puromycin Aminonucleoside-Induced Nephrotic Syndrome by Suppressing Inflammation and Apoptosis. Nutr. 2017;9(4):386.
Supported by : Mashhad University of Medical Sciences