- Volume 19 Issue 1
In this study, we examined the antimicroboal effect against Actinobacillus actinomycetemcomitans and Prevotella intermedia which were the bacteria causing the Periodontopathic by using 34 types of natural plant extracts. Therefore, this study measures growth inhibition activity and Minimum Inhibition Concentration (MIC) of a sample extract with the use of organic solvent extracts in order to analyze the antibacterial effect of natural plant extracts on periodontopathic bacteria. Each of the 34 types of natural plant extracts were extracted by using the ethanol, and subsequently, the size of growth inhibition zone(clear zone, ㎜) of respective extracts were measured through the disk diffusion method. As a result, it was found that the growth inhibitory activity was found for A. actinomycetemcomitans, which is the bacteria causing the Periodontitis, in 13 types of natural plant extracts such as Raphanus sativus, Akebia quinata, Paeonia lactiflora, Belamcanda chinensis, Inula britannics, Houttuynia cordata, Forsythia saxatilis, Gentiana macrophylla, Melia azedarach, Scutellaria baicalensis, Coptis chinensis, Phellodendron amurense, Kalopanax Pictus, etc. In the case of P. intermedia, the growth inhibitory activity was found in 13 types of natural plant extracts such as Raphanus sativus, Angelica acutiloba, Akebia quinata, Belamcanda chinensis, Inula britannics, Houttuynia cordata, Cinnamomum cassia, Aster tataricus, Melia azedarach, Scutellaria baicalensis, Coptis chinensis, Phellodendron amurense, Kalopanax Pictus etc. For A. actinomycetemcomitans, anti-bacterial effect was exhibited in Belamcanda chinensis, Cinnamomum cassia, Kalopanax Pictus, Phellodendron amurense, Coptis chinensis. The Coptis chinensis showed the most excellent growth inhibitory activity in all organic solvent fragment, while P. intermedia showed the growth inhibitory activity in Belamcanda chinensis, Cinnamomum cassia, Meliaazedarach, Phellodendron amurense, and Coptis chinensis.
A. Actinomycetemcomitans;Prevotella Intermedia;Antimicrobial Effect;Coptis Chinensis;Natural Plant
- Fermin A. Carranza and Michael G. Newman, Clinical Periodontology, 8th Edition, Vol.60, Ji seong publish company, pp.546-554, 1997.
- WEC Moor, "Microbiology of periodontal disease," Journal of Dental Research, Vol.22, p.335, 1987.
- A. D. Manganiello, S. S. Socransky, C. Smith, D. Propas, V. Oram, and IL Dogon, "Attempts to increase viablecount recovery oh human supragingival dental plaque," Journal of Periodont Res, Vol.12, p.107, 1977. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0765.1977.tb00113.x
- P. Brandtzaeg, "The significance of oral hygiene in the prevention of dental diseases," OdontT, Vol.72, p.460, 1964.
- J. H. Kim, C. S. Ji, B. M. Jung, B. O. Kim, and S. J. Yu, "Effect of mouthwash containing sun-dried salt on gingivitis and halitosis," Oral Biology Research, Vol.39 pp.120-126, 2015. https://doi.org/10.21851/obr.39.2.201509.120
- R. P. Darveau, A. Tanner, and R. C. Page, "The microbial challenge in periodontitis," Periodontol 2000, Vol.14, pp.12-32, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0757.1997.tb00190.x
- R. Gendron, D. Grenier, and L. Maheu Robert, "The oral cavity as a reservoir of bacterial pathogens for fforcal infection," Microbes Infec, Vol.2, pp.897-906, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1286-4579(00)00391-9
- J. Kim, Y. M. Park, S. H. Ok, P. J. You, and B. K. Choi, Oral Microbiology, Gun Ja publish company, p.237, 2001.
- J. Slots and T. E. Rams, "Microbiology of periodental disease," In Slots J. Taubman Ma, eds., Contemporary Oral Microbiology and Immunology, St Louis, CV Mosby, 1992.
- M. G. Newman, S. S. Socransky, and E. D. Savitt, "Studies of the microbiology of periodontosi," Journal of Periodontics Research, Vol.47, p.373, 1976.
- W. J. Loesche, S. A. Syed, E. Schmidt, and E. C. Morrison, "Bacterial profiles of subgingival plaques in periodontitis," Periodontol, Vol.56, p.447, 1985. https://doi.org/10.1902/jop.19188.8.131.527
- S. M. Wahl, "Mononuclear cell-mediated alterations inconnective tissue," In R. J. Genco and S. E. Mergejagen, eds., Host-Parasite Interactions in Periodontal Disease, Washington, DC, Amercian Society for Microbiology, p.132, 1982.
- H. J. Jin, E. K. Kim, S. Y. An, S. U. Im, K. B. Song, and Y. H. Choi, "Relationship between periodontal status and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease," Journal of Korean Academy of Oral Health September, Vol.37, No.3, pp.147-153, 2013. https://doi.org/10.11149/jkaoh.2013.37.3.147
- J. Slots and T. E. Rams, "Antibiotics andperiodontal therapy: Advantages and disadvanyages," Journal of Clin Periodontol, Vol.17, p.479, 1990. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2710.1992.tb01220.x
- H. Loe, "Does chlorhexidine have a place in the prophylaxis of dental disease," Journal of Periodontics Research, Vol.8, No.12, p.93, 1973. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0765.1973.tb02171.x
- M. A. Botelho, N. A. Nogueira, G. M. Bastos, S. G. Fonseca, T. L. Lemos, F. J. Matos, D. Montenegro, J. Heukelbach, V. S. Rao, and G. A Brito, "Antimicrobial activity of the essential oil from Lippia sidoides, carvacrol and thymol against oral pathogens," Journal of Medical and Biological Research Braz., Vol.40, pp.349-356, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1590/S0100-879X2007000300010
- J. H. Jang, Y. D. Park, and D. Y. Ryu, "The effect of garlic extract on antibacterial activity of periopathogens," The Journal Korean Society of Dental Hygiene, Vol.12, No.3, pp.631-640, 2012. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2012.12.3.631
- A. D. Haffajee and S. S. Socransky, "Microbial etiological agents of destructive periodontal diseases," Periodontol, Vol.5, pp.78-111, 2000.
- J. H. Jang, S. Y. You, and T. J. Oh, "Antimicrobial activity of jaborandi extract and sorbitol to oral microbes," The Journal Korean Society of Dental Hygiene, Vol.13, No.3, pp.517-523, 2013. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2013.13.3.517
- J. G. Kim, Library of Primary color natural medicines, The first volume, Nam Sam Dang, Seoul, 1997.
- S. K. Kang, M. K. Shin, Q. S. Auh, Y. H. Chun, and J. P. Hong, "Antibacterial Effecct on Oral Pathogenic Bacteria of Phytoncide from Chamecyparis Obtus," The Journal of Korean academy of oral medicine, Vol.35, No.1, pp.45-55, 2007.
- Y. G. Jang, H. W. Park, I. S. Shin, J. H. Lee, and H. W. Seo, "The antimicorbial effect of horseradish(Armoracia Rusticana) root extracts against anaerobes isolated from oral cavity," The Journal Korean Acad Pediatr Dent, Vol.37, No.2, pp.168-178, 2010.
- Y. Kana, T. Sakurai, and O. Yukihiro, "Pharmacological properties of galenical preparation," The Korean Society of Pharmacognosy, Vol.43, p.199, 1989.
- E. G. Min, Y. H. Kim, S. I. Kum, and Y. H. Han, "Inhibition of Grotth and Collagenase Activity if the Extract from Salvia miltiorrhiza against Microorganism Causing Periodontal Diseases," Kor. Journal of Microbiology, Vol.40, No.2, pp.111-114, 2004.
- U. Y. Park, S. C. Dong, and H. R. Cho, "Screening of Antimicrobial Activity for Medicinal Herb Extracts," Journal of Korean Soc. Food Nutr., Vol.21, No.1, pp.91-96, 1992.
- H. S. Choi, Y. C. Kim, J. S. Lee, M. R. Jo, C. H. Soo, and S. I. Park, "Antibacterial Activities of Hot-Water and Ethyl Alcohol Extracts of Medicinal Herbs on Fish Pathogenic Bacteria," Journal of Fish Pathol, Vol.17, No.1, pp.39-55, 2004.
- D. J. Kwak "Antibacterial Activity of Phellodendri Cortex on the Streptocpccus mutans," Journal of Kprean Soc. Hygienic Sciences, Vol.10, No.2, pp.99-107, 2004.
- J. H. Kim, "Anti-bacterial Action of Onion(Allium cepa L)Extracts Oral Pathogenic Bateria," Journal of Nihon Univ.Sch.Dent, Vol.39, No.3, pp.136-141, 1997. https://doi.org/10.2334/josnusd1959.39.136
- H. K. Kim, Deodorizing Effect of Several Antibacterial Medicinal Herbs on Oral Malodor, Department of Dentistry Graduate School Dan-Kook University, Ph. D Thesis, 2010.
- H. S. Yang, Y. B. Lee, and B. J. Yo, "Antioxidant Activity of Water-soluble Extracts from Kalopanacis cortex, Journal of the Korea Socity Food Science Nutral," Vol.42, No.4, pp.527-533, 2013. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2013.42.4.527
- D. W. Kim, K. W. Yu, E. A. Bae, H. J. Park, and J. W. Choi, "Metabolism of kalopanaxsaponin B and H by human intestinal bacteria and antidiabetic activity of their metabolites," Biol Pharm Bull, Vol.21, pp.360-365, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1248/bpb.21.360