- Volume 19 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Effects of Harassment Experiences in Online Games, Expectation on Organizational Response, and Gender on Coping Strategies
온라인 게임 내 괴롭힘 경험, 조직대응에 대한 기대, 유저의 성별이 대응전략에 미치는 영향
Kim, Min-Chae;Ro, Hea-Kyung
- Received : 2018.12.03
- Accepted : 2019.01.02
- Published : 2019.01.28
This study is an exploratory study on the factors that affect the types of user's coping strategies in online game harassment situations. A survey(N=416) was conducted to investigate the experiences of harassment in online games, expectations on organizational response, and the frequencies of selecting each type of coping strategy. The result shows that the female users usually experience more harassment than the male users, especially in sexual harassment. Female users often choose gender masking, seeking help, avoidance, and mirroring strategies compared to males, while males choose self-blame. The effects of harassment experiences, expectation on organizational response, and gender on each type of coping strategy were analyzed using the structural equation model(SEM). Sexual harassment experiences significantly affect all types of strategies, and the higher the expectation on organizational response, the more likely users to seek help rather than to select gender masking. These results are expected to serve the basis for establishing harassment-related regulations in online games.
Online Game;Harassment Experience;Expectation on Organizational Response;Coping Strategies
- 최수연, 온라인 게임에서 나타나는 여성에 대한 차별 양상 연구 : 오버워치 이용자를 중심으로, 부산대학교, 석사학위논문, 2018.
- 이지훈, "온라인 게임 규제 정책이 게임 산업에 미치는 영향에 관한 연구," 한국엔터테인먼트산업학회논문지, 제12권, 제4호, pp.363-371, 2018.
- J. Suler, "The Online Disinhibition Effect," Cyberpsychology & Behavior, Vol.7, No.3, pp.321-326, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1089/1094931041291295
- J. Fox and W. Y. Tang, "Women's Experiences with General and Sexual Harassment in Online Video Games: Rumination, Organizational Responsiveness, Withdrawal, and Coping Strategies," New Media & Society, Vol.19, No.8, pp.1290-1307, 2017. https://doi.org/10.1177/1461444816635778
- 박현아, "온라인게임 공간의 명예훼손 및 모욕죄에 대한 고찰," 문화정책논총, 제31권, 제2호, pp.193-215, 2017.
- 김경은, 청소년의 사이버폭력에 관련된 생태체계변인 탐색, 충북대학교, 박사학위논문, 2011.
- 이미정, "사이버성폭력과 규제," 사이버커뮤니케이션학보, 제10호, pp.37-73, 2002.
- A. C. Cote, "I Can Defend Myself" Women's Strategies for Coping With Harassment While Gaming Online," Games and Culture, Vol.12, No.2, pp.136-155, 2017. https://doi.org/10.1177/1555412015587603
- M. E. Ballard and K. M. Welch, "Virtual Warfare: Cyberbullying and Cyber-Victimization in MMOG Play," Games and Culture, Vol.12, No.5, pp.466-491, 2017. https://doi.org/10.1177/1555412015592473
- K. L. Gray, "Intersecting Oppressions and Online Communities: Examining the Experiences of Women of Color in Xbox Live," Information, Communication & Society, Vol.15, No.3, pp.411-428, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1080/1369118X.2011.642401
- A. Salter and B. Blodgett, "Hyper Masculinity & Dickwolves: The Contentious Role of Women in the New Gaming Public," J. of Broadcasting & Electronic Media, Vol.56, No.3, pp.401-416, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1080/08838151.2012.705199
- J. H. Kuznekoff and L. M. Rose, "Communication in Multiplayer Gaming: Examining Player Responses to Gender Cues," New Media & Society, Vol.15, No.4, pp.541-556, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1177/1461444812458271
- K. Miner-Rubino and L. M. Cortina, "Beyond Targets: Consequences of Vicarious Exposure to Misogyny at Work," J. of Applied Psychology, Vol.92, No.5, p.1254, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.92.5.1254
- 맹욱재, 김혁, 우준희, 허영진, 이서영, 최지원, 이준환, "온라인 게임 내 성차별 실태 조사 및 제재시스템 디자인 연구," 한국 HCI 학회 학술대회, pp.470-475, 2018.
- A. Eden, E. Maloney, and N. D. Bowman, "Gender Attribution in Online Video Games," J. of Media Psychology, 2010.
- D. E. Knapp, R. H. Faley, S. E. Ekeberg, and C. L. Dubois, "Determinants of Target Responses to Sexual Harassment: A Conceptual Framework," Academy of Management Review, Vol.22, No.3, pp.687-729, 1997. https://doi.org/10.5465/amr.1997.9708210723
- S. E. Larsen and L. F. Fitzgerald, "PTSD Symptoms and Sexual Harassment: The Role of Attributions and Perceived Control," J. of Interpersonal Violence, Vol.26, No.13, pp.2555-2567, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1177/0886260510388284
- C. Diehl, T. Glaser, and G. Bohner, "Face the Consequences: Learning About Victim's Suffering Reduces Sexual Harassment Myth Acceptance and Men's Likelihood to Sexually Harass," Aggressive Behavior, Vol.40, No.6, pp.489-503, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1002/ab.21553
- J. Fox and W. Y. Tang, "Harassment in Online Video Games and Predictors of Video Game Sexism," Annual Conference of the National Communication Association, 2013.
- L. T. Hu and P. M. Bentler, "Cutoff Criteria for Fit Indexes in Covariance Structure Analysis: Conventional Criteria Versus New Alternatives," Structural Equation Modeling: a Multidisciplinary Journal, Vol.6, No.1, pp.1-55, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1080/10705519909540118
- D. W. Russell, J. H. Kahn, R. Spoth, and E. M. Altmaier, "Analyzing Data from Experimental Studies: A Latent Variable Structural Equation Modeling Approach," J. of Counseling Psychology, Vol.45, No.1, p.18, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-0184.108.40.206
- N. Yee, "Motivations for Play in Online Games," CyberPsychology & Behavior, Vol.9, No.6, pp.772-775, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1089/cpb.2006.9.772
- 한국콘텐츠진흥원, 2018 게임이용자 실태조사보고서, pp.21-22, 2018.