- Volume 19 Issue 1
The purpose of this study is to investigate the perception of pre-service secondary English teachers on peer feedback in English composition. For this purpose, a total of 37 students who took the English composition class for 15 weeks participated in the survey. After completing the survey, data were analyzed to find out the students' perception on peer feedback performed in their English composition class through frequency analysis and descriptive statistics. The findings of this study are as follows: First, the students showed positive attitudes towards on peer feedback activities. Second, the participants had received considerable help in the content, ideas and organization of their composition. Third, noticing that they all have made similar mistakes in their writing, the subjects were relieved to know that they are not falling behind their other colleagues. Fourth, the subjects did not trust the feedback contents among the peers, which were found in both the feedback giver and receiver. In particular, feedback from peers who had low English proficiency was rarely helpful. Fifth, the students were afraid that their relationship might become uncomfortable with peers when they pointed out peer's writing errors or made specific suggestions about their peer's writing. Finally, pedagogical implications were discussed based on the research findings.
Peer Feedback;Teacher Feedback;Error Correction;Process-Oriented Writing;English Writing
- V. Zamel, "The Composing Process of Advacned ESL Students," TESOL Quarterly, Vol.17, No.2, pp.156-187, 1983.
- J. Harmer, How to Teach Writing, Pearson Longman, 2004.
- 전영주, "예비 영어교사를 위한 영어 쓰기능력 향상 방안," 영어교과교육, 제9권, 제3호, pp.251-273, 2010.
- R. Badger and G. White, "A Process Genre Approach to Teaching Writing," ELT Journal, Vol.54, No.2, pp.153-160, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1093/elt/54.2.153
- J. Muncie, "Process Writing and Vocabulary Development: Comparing Lexical Frequency Profiles across Drafts," System, Vol.30, No.2, pp.225-235, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0346-251X(02)00006-4
- A. Seow, "Writing Process and Process Writing," In J. C. Richards and W. A. Renandya (Eds.), Methodology in Language Teaching, Cambridge University Press, 2002.
- K. Bruffee, "The Brooklyn Plan: Attaining Intellectual Growth through Peer-group Tutoring," Liberal Education, Vol.64, No.4, pp.447-468, 1978.
- C. Lockhart and P. Ng, "Analyzing Talk in ESL Peer Response Groups: Stances, Functions, and Content," Language Learning, Vol.45, No.4, pp.605-655, 1995. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-1770.1995.tb00456.x
- H. T. Min, "The Effects of Trained Peer Review on EFL Students' Revision Types and Writing Quality," Journal of Second Language Writing, Vol.15, No.2, pp.118-141, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jslw.2006.01.003
- T. M. Paulus, "The Effect of Peer and Teacher Feedback on Student Writing," Journal of Second Language Writing, Vol.8, No.3, pp.265-289, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1060-3743(99)80117-9
- J. Liu and J. G. Hansen, Peer Response in Second Language Writing Classrooms, University of Michigan Press, 2002.
- M. Yang, R. Badger, and Z. Yu, "A Comparative Study of Peer and Teacher Feedback in a Chinese EFL Writing Class," Journal of Second Language Writing, Vol.15, No.3, pp.179-200, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jslw.2006.09.004
- K. Bruffee, "Collaborative Learning and the 'Conversation of Mankind'," College English, Vol.46, No.7, pp.635-652, 1984. https://doi.org/10.2307/376924
- U. Connor and K. Asenavage, "Peer Response Group in ESL Writing Classes: How Much Impact on Revision?," Journal of Second Language Writing, Vol.3, No.3, pp.257-276, 1994. https://doi.org/10.1016/1060-3743(94)90019-1
- I. Leki, "Potential Problems with Peer Responding in ESL Writing Classes," CATESOL Journal, Vol.3, No.1, pp.5-19, 1990.
- R. Mittan, "The Peer Review Process: Harnessing Students' Communicative Power," In D. Johnson and D. Roen (Eds.), Richness in Writing: Empowering ESL Students, Longman, 1989.
- S. Zhang, "Reexamining the Affective Advantage of Peer Feedback in the ESL Writing Class," Journal of Second Language Writing, Vol.4, No.3, pp.209-222, 1995. https://doi.org/10.1016/1060-3743(95)90010-1
- 문영인, "한국대학 영작문에 나타나는 동료 수정의 성격," 영어교육, 제55권, 제1호, pp.119-140, 2000.
- M. J. Amores, "A New Perspective on Peer-editing," Foreign Language Annals, Vol.30, No.4, pp.513-522, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1944-9720.1997.tb00858.x
- M. H. Huh and J. H. Lee, "Feedback on Peer Feedback in EFL Composing: Four Stories," The Journal of English Language and Literature, Vol.57, No.6, pp.977-998, 2011. https://doi.org/10.15794/jell.2011.57.6.004
- 정영철, "통합적 접근 : 영어 글쓰기 수업에서의 피드백주기 방식에 대한 대학생들의 인식," 현대영어영문학, 제32권, 제1호, pp.79-101, 2014.
- 황성연, 동료의 작문 수준에 따른 피드백 제공활동이 피드백 제공자의 영어 쓰기 능력 및 태도에 미치는 영향, 이화여자대학교 대학원, 석사학위논문, 2011.
- C. Keh, "Feedback in the Writing Process: A Model and Methods for Implementation," ELT Journal, Vol.44, No.4, pp.294-304, 1990. https://doi.org/10.1093/elt/44.4.294
- K. Lundstrom and W. Baker, "To Give is Better Than to Receive: The Benefits of Peer Review to the Reviewers' Own Writing," Journal of Second Language Writing, Vol.18, No.1, pp.30-43, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jslw.2008.06.002
- K. Cho and C. MacArthur, "Student Revision with Peer and Expert Reviewing," Learning and Instruction, Vol.20, No.4, pp.328-338, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.learninstruc.2009.08.006