- Volume 19 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Bottlenecks in Building an Online Customer Base: A Experimental Field Study on Viral Marketing
온라인 고객 기반 확보의 장애 요인: 바이럴 마케팅의 현장 실험 연구
Park, Sunju;Chung, Seungwha;Pyo, Na Sung;Hwang, Soonki
- Received : 2018.09.19
- Accepted : 2018.12.26
- Published : 2019.01.28
In recent years, using a connected platform, companies have built and implemented a mobile viral marketing strategy to attract new customers and to have long-term relationships with existing customers. The emergence of interactive Web 2.0 has led to an explosive increase in customer engagement, and practitioners have become interested in connected platform to build close relationships with their customers. However, the study on the effectiveness of various customer influx methods using the connected platform that companies utilize for an increase of customer participation is insufficient. Based on the theoretical study of Sashi (2012), this study analyzes the actual mobile viral promotion of company A's open market shopping mall for the purpose of bringing new customers and having a long-term relationship with the new customers. By analyzing the customer engagement type, the implications for the effectiveness of mobile viral promotion are suggested. First, as a result of the immediate effect of online viral promotion, promotions are partially effective in attracting new customers. Second, as a result of examining the change of customer engagement type in order to find out the long - term effect of online viral promotion, it was found that in most cases, new customers were not become satisfied customers and, Laggard Effect, which takes time to become a satisfied customer, has been confirmed.
Customer Engagement;Viral Marketing;Mobile Viral Promotion
- C. M. Sashi, "Customer Engagement, Buyer-Seller Relationships, and Social Media," Management Decision, Vol.50, No.2, pp.253-272, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1108/00251741211203551
- 디지에코 보고서, 2015년 모바일 트렌드 전망, KT경제경영연구소, 2015.
- C. Pescher, P. Reichhart, and M. Spann, "Consumer Decision-Making process in Mobile Viral Marketing Campaigns," Journal of Interactive Marketing, Vol.28, No.1, pp.43-54, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.intmar.2013.08.001
- C. K. Prahalad and V. Ramaswamy, "Co-Creation Experiences: The Next Practice in Value Ccreation," Journal of Interactive Marketing, Vol.18, No.3, pp.5-14, 2004.
- T. M. Harrison and B. Barthel, "Wielding New Media in Web 2.0: Exploring the History of Engagement with the Collaborative Construction of Media Products," New Media and Society, Vol.11, Issues1-2, pp.155-178, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1177/1461444808099580
- R. Ferguson, "Word of Mouth and Viral Marketing: Taking the Temperature of the Hottest Trends in Marketing," Journal of Consumer marketing, Vol.25, No.3, pp.179-182, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1108/07363760810870671
- P. Patterson, T. Yu, and K. D. Ruyter, "Understanding Customer Engagement in Services," Proceedings of Australian and New Zealand Marketing Academy 2006 Conference: Advancing Theory, Maintaining Relevance, pp.4-6, 2006.
- J. L. H. Bowden, "The Process of Customer Engagement: A Conceptual Framework," Journal of Marketing Theory & Practice, Vol.17, No.1, pp.63-74, 2009. https://doi.org/10.2753/MTP1069-6679170105
- H. L. O'Brien and E. G. Toms, "What is User Engagement? A Conceptual Framework for Defi ning User Engagement with Technology," Journal of the American Society for Information Science and Technology, Vol.59, No.6, pp.938-955, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1002/asi.20801
- H. L. O'Brien and E. G. Toms, "The Development and Evaluation of a Survey to Measure User Engagement," Journal of the American Society for Information Science and Technology, Vol.61, No.1, pp.50-69, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1002/asi.21229
- J. van Doorn, K. N. Lemon, V. Mittal, S. Nass, D. Pick, P. Pirner, and P. C. Verhoef, "Customer Engagement Behavior: Theoretical Foundations and Research Directions," Journal of Service Research, Vol.13, No.3, pp.253-266, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1177/1094670510375599
- A. Mollen and H. Wilson, "Engagement, Telepresence and Interactivity in Online Consumer Experience: Reconciling Scholastic and Managerial Perspectives," Journal of Business Research, Vol.63, Issues9-10, pp.919-925, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusres.2009.05.014
- M. Stone and N. Woodcock, "Social Intelligence in Customer Engagement," Journal of Strategic Marketing, Vol.21, No.5, pp.394-401, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1080/0965254X.2013.801613
- E. Jaakkola and M. Alexander, "The Role of Customer Engagement Behavior in Value Co-Creation: A Service System Perspective," Journal of Service Research, Vol.17, No.3, pp.247-261, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1177/1094670514529187
- T. K. Chan, X. Zheng, C. M. Cheung, M. K. Lee, and Z. W. Lee, "Antecedents and Consequences of Customer Engagement in Online Brand Communities," Journal of Marketing Analytics, Vol.2, No.2, pp.81-97, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1057/jma.2014.9
- S. D. Vivek, S. E. Beatty, V. Dalela, and R. M. Morgan, "A Generalized Multidimensional Scale for Measuring Customer Engagement," Journal of Marketing Theory and Practice, Vol.22, No.4, pp.401-420, 2014. https://doi.org/10.2753/MTP1069-6679220404
- J. Kirby and P. Marsden (Eds.), Connected Marketing: The Viral, Buzz and Word of Mouth Revolution, Elsevier, 2006.
- P. Barwise and C. Strong, "Permission-Based Mobile Advertising," Journal of Interactive Marketing, Vol.16, No.1, pp.14-24, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1002/dir.10000
- K. Pousttchi and D. G. Wiedemann, "A Contribution to Theory Building for Mobile Marketing: Categorizing Mobile Marketing Campaigns through Case Study Research," In Mobile Business, 2006, ICMB'06 International Conference on. IEEE, pp.1-1, 2006.
- L. Porter and G. J. Golan, "From Subservient Chickens to Brawny Men: A Comparison of Viral Advertising to Television Advertising," Journal of Interactive Advertising, Vol.6, No.2, pp.30-38, 2006.
- D. G. Wiedemann, "Exploring the Concept of Mobile Viral Marketing through Case Study Research," Mobile Commerce Working group, Chain of Business informatics and systems Engineering, pp.49-60, 2007.
Supported by : 한국연구재단