- Volume 19 Issue 2
Utilizing fit theory in strategic human resource management, this study examines the impact of two HR practices on newcomer turnover rates. While there is a growing body of research identifying the linkage between high-performance work systems(HPWS) and improved organizational performance through higer employee commitment, little research addresses how specific mechanisms among the systems deliver different performances to organizations. Using management by objective(MBO) and job rotation in HPWS, we found a strong main effect of each practice-it decreases newcomer turnover rates. This main effect becomes stronger when one practice combined with another, showing synergy exists. Linking HPWS research to turnover, this study provides insightful evidence of interactions between MBO and job rotation for organizational performance.
Turnover;Management by Objective;Job Rotation;High-Performance Work System;New Employee
- J. E. Delery and D. H. Doty, "Modes of Theorizing in Strategic Human Resource Management: Tests of Universalistic, Contingency, and Configurational Performance Predictions," Academy of Management Journal, Vol.39, No.4, pp.802-835, 1996.
- D. P. Lepak and J. Shaw, "Strategic HRM in North America: Looking to the Future," International Journal of Human Resource Management, Vol.19, No.8, pp.1486-1499, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1080/09585190802200272
- G. G. Dess and J. D. Shaw, "Voluntary Turnover, Social Capital, and Organizational Performance," Academy of Management Review, Vol.26, No.4, pp.446-456, 2001. https://doi.org/10.5465/amr.2001.4845830
- L. Dyer and T. Reeves, "Human Resource Strategies and Firm Performance: What Do We Know and Where Do We Need to Go?," International Journal of Human Resource Management, Vol.6, No.3, pp.656-670, 1995. https://doi.org/10.1080/09585199500000041
- M. A. Huselid, "The Impact of Human Resource Management Practices on Turnover, Productivity, and Corporate Financial Performance," Academy of Management Journal, Vol.38, No.3, pp.635-672, 1995.
- M. Subramony, "A Meta-analytic Investigation of the Relationship Between HRM Bundles and Firm Performance. Human Resource Management, Vol.48, No.5, pp.745-768, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1002/hrm.20315
- G. Messersmith, P. Patel, and D. Lepak, "Unlocking the Black Box: Exploring the Link Between High-Performance Work Systems and Performance," Journal of Applied Psychology, Vol.96, No.6, pp.1105-1118, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1037/a0024710
- I. H. S. Chow, "The Roles of Implementation and Organizational Culture in the HR-Performance Link," International Journal of Human Resource Management, Vol.23, No.15, pp.3114-3132, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1080/09585192.2011.639553
- J. Park and S. Kim, "Team Manager's Implementation, High Performance Work Systems Intensity, and Performance: A Multilevel Investigation. J. of Management, Vol.44, No.7, pp.2690-2715, 2016.
- P. Mali, MBO updated: A Handbook of Practices and Techniques for Managing by Objectives, John Wiley & Sons, 1986.
- C. Chadwick, "Theoretic Insights on the Nature of Performance Synergies in Human Resource Systems: Toward Greater Precision. Human Resource Management Review, Vol.20, No.2, pp.85-101, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.hrmr.2009.06.001
- 조봉순, 이경환, 이명주, "인사제도의 실행의 일관성이 조직성과에 미치는 영향: 신뢰의 조절효과," 인적자본기업패널 학술대회, pp.27-50, 2016.
- H. Lee, S. Werner, and T. Y. Kim, "High Performance Work Systems and Organization Attraction: The Moderating Effects of Vocational Interests," Employee Relations, Vol.38, No.5, pp.682-702, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1108/ER-08-2015-0165
- P. M. Wright and G. C. McMahan, "Theoretical Perspectives for Strategic Human Resource Management," J. of Management, Vol.18, No.2, pp.295-320, 1992.
- N. Venkatraman, "The Concept of Fit in Strategy Research: Toward Verbal and Statistical Correspondence," Academy of Management Review, Vol.14, No.3, pp.423-436, 1989. https://doi.org/10.5465/amr.1989.4279078
- P. Cappelli and D. Neumark, "Do "High-Performance" Work Practices Improve Establishment-Level Outcomes?", Industrial and Labor Relations Review, Vol.54, No.4, pp.737-775, 2001.
- K. Jiang, D. Lepak, J. Hu, and J. Baer, "How Does Human Resource Management Influence Organizational Outcomes? A Meta-Analytic Investigation of Mediating Mechanisms," Academy of Management Journal, Vol.5, No.6, pp.1264-1294, 2012.
- R. A. Posthuma, M. C. Campion, M. Masimova, and M. Campion, "A High Performance Work Practices Taxonomy: Integrating the Literature and Directing Future Research." J. of Management, Vol.39, No.5, pp.1184-1220. 2013.
- D. K. Datta, J. Guthrie, and P. Wright, "Human Resource Management and Labor Productivity: Does Industry Matter?," Academy of Management Journal, Vol.48, No.1, pp.135-145, 2005. https://doi.org/10.5465/amj.2005.15993158
- G. N. Theriou and P. Chatzoglou, "The Impact of Best HRM Practices on Performance-Identifying Enabling Factors," Employee Relations, Vol.36, No.5, pp.535-561, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1108/ER-02-2013-0025
- A. S. Tsui J. L. Pearce, L. W. Porter, and A. M. Tripoli, "Alternative Approaches to the Employee-Organization Relationship Does Investment in Employees Pay Off?," Academy of Management Journal, Vol.40, No.5, pp.1089-1997, 1997. https://doi.org/10.5465/256928
- 우정희, 김중화, "목표관리과정이 조직유효성에 미치는 영향 연구: 상호작용공정성 조절효과 중심으로," 한국기업경영학회, 제28권, 제1호, pp.89-107, 2008.
- 신철우, "한국기업의 연봉제 실패요인에 관한 실증적 연구." 대한경영학회지, 제43권, 제1호, pp.751-771, 2004.
- D. McGregor, The Human Side of Enterprise, McGraw-Hill Pub, 1960.
- E. Locke, G. Latham, and M. Erez, "The Determinants of Goal Commitment," Academy of Management Review, Vol.13, No.1, pp.23-25, 1988. https://doi.org/10.5465/amr.1988.4306771
- 권나경, 김혜린, "직무순환이 주관적 경력만족에 미치는 영향: 고용경쟁력 매개효과를 중심으로," 한국콘텐츠학회, 제14권, 제8호, pp.431-441, 2018.
- Hewitt Associate, How the TOP 20 Companies Grow Great Leaders, Hewitt Research Insitute, 2005.
- J. Nonaka and T. Hirotaka, The Knowledge-Creating Company, 장은영 역 (1998), 지식창조기업, 세종서적(주), 1995.
- B. Fredrickson, "The Role of Positive Emotions in Positive Psychology," American Psychologist, Vol.56, No.3, pp.218-226. https://doi.org/10.1037/0003-066X.56.3.218
- L. Cheraskin and M. A. Champion, "Study Clarifies Job Rotation Benefits," Personnel Journal, Vol.75, No.11, pp.31-36, 2006.
- P. C. Morrow, J. C. McElroy, K. S. Laczniak, and J. B. Fenton, "Using Absenteeism and Performance to Predict Employee Turnover: Early Detection Through Company Records," J. of Vocational Behavior, Vol.55, No.3, pp.358-374, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1006/jvbe.1999.1687
- J. D. Shaw, J. E. Delery, D. Jenkins, and N. Gupta, "An Organizational-Level Analysis of Voluntary and Involuntary Turnover," Academy of Management Journal, Vol.41, No.5, pp.511-525, 1998.
- J. B. Arthur, "Effects of Human Resource Systems on Manufacturing Performance and Turnover," Academy of Management Journal, Vol.37, No.1, pp.670-687, 1994.
- J. Jensen, P. Patel, and J. Messersmith, "High-Performance Work Systems and Job Control: Consequences for Anxiety, Roled Overload, and Turnover Intentions," Journal of Management, Vol.39, No.6, pp.1699-1724, 2013.
- T. Ng and D. C. Feldman, "Re-examining the Relationship between Age and Voluntary Turnover," J. of Vocational Behavior, Vol.74, No.2, pp.283-294, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvb.2009.01.004
- 김초롱, 오세일, "대기업 청년 퇴사자의 진정성과 자기계발: 신자유주의 시대, '개인화된 자아' 구성을 중심으로," 사회이론, 제51권, 제1호, pp.103-139, 2017.
- 이한나, 김정민, 한정원, "간호사의 직무순환 스트레스가 심리적 안녕감에 미치는 영향: 도적적 평가와 방해적 평가의 매개효과 중심으로," 한국산업기술학회, 제18권, 제10호, pp.373-381, 2017.
- 문동원, 라세림, 김윤호, "첨단기업 근로자 직무순환 경험특성이 주관적 경력성공에 미치는 영향: 직무순환 인식의 매개효과를 중심으로," 한국콘텐츠학회, 제18권, 제4호, pp.357-368, 2018.
- C. Vandenberghe and M. Tremblay, "The Role of Pay Satisfaction Organizational Commitment in Turnover Intentions: A Two-Sample Study," J. of Business and Psychology, Vol.22, No.2, pp.275-286, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10869-008-9063-3
- 전인, 안성인, 오선희, "고성과 작업시스템과 운영성과 간 관계: 다수준분석을 통한 종업원성과의 매개역할을 중심으로," 산업노동연구, 제19권, 제1호, pp.65-104, 2013.