- Volume 19 Issue 2
Dengue virus is a typical mosquito-borne virus, and the half of the world's population is exposed to infection. Dengue virus causes relatively mild symptoms such as dengue fever. However, when not treated properly, it is known to cause severe symptoms such as dengue hemorrhagic fever and dengue shock syndrome with a mortality rate of over 20%. Development of dengue virus detection technology is very important because it is reported that early diagnosis of dengue fever can lower the mortality rate to less than 1%. In this study, patent search related to dengue virus detection technology was conducted in Korea, USA, Europe, Japan, and China. The quantitative analysis of 69 validated patents from the searched patents was conducted by country, year, and patent holder. In addition, in-depth analysis was carried out by classifying into three categories: molecular diagnostics, immuno-diagnostics, and cell culture-based diagnostics from all validated patents. From these results, we analyzed the patent trend related to dengue virus detection and dengue fever diagnosis technology and discussed the features and limitations of molecular diagnostics and immuno-diagnostics at present level. Furthermore, we discussed the direction of technology development and future prospects to overcome limitations.
Dengue Virus;Dengue Fever;Detection;Diagnosis;Patent Trend
- R. J. Kuhn, W. Zhang, M. G. Rossmann, S. V. Pletnev, J. Corver, E. Lenches, C. T. Jones, S. Mukhopadhyay, P. R. Chipman, E. G. Strauss, T. S. Baker, and J. H. Strauss, "Structure of Dengue Virus: Implications for Flavivirus Organization, Maturation, and Fusion," Cell, Vol.108, No.8, pp.717-725, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0092-8674(02)00660-8
- Y. Modis, S. Ogata, D. Clements, and S. C. Harrison, "Structure of the Dengue Virus Envelope Protein after Membrane Fusion," Nature, Vol.427, No.6972, pp.313-319, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1038/nature02165
- J. N. Conde, E. M. Silva, A. S. Barbosa, and R. Mohana-Borges, "The Complement System in Flavivirus Infections," Front. Microbiol., Vol.8, p.213, 2017.
- W. C. Ng, R. Soto-Acosta, S. S. Bradrick, M. A. Garcia-Blanco, and E. E. Ooi, "The 5' and 3' Untranslated Regions of the Flaviviral Genome," Viruses, Vol.9, No.6, p.137, 2017. https://doi.org/10.3390/v9060137
- J. D. Zeidler, L. O. Fernandes-Siqueira, G. M. Barbosa, and A. T. Da Poian, "Non-Canonical Roles of Dengue Virus Non-Structural Proteins," Viruses, Vol.9, No.3, p.42, 2017. https://doi.org/10.3390/v9030042
- S. Leta, T. J. Beyene, E. M. De Clercq, K. Amenu, M. U. G. Kraemer, and C. W. Revie, "Global Risk Mapping for Major Diseases Transmitted by Aedes aegypti and Aedes albopictus," Int. J. Infect. Dis., Vol.67, pp.25-35, 2018. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijid.2017.11.026
- 조승희, 이동한, "2016년 동남아시아 지역 뎅기열발생 현황," 주간 건강과 질병, 제9권, 제8호, pp.139-143, 2016.
- T. M. Ross, "Dengue Virus," Clin. Lab. Med., Vol.30, No.1, pp.149-160, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cll.2009.10.007
- M. G. Guzman, D. J. Gubler, A. Izquierdo, E. Martinez, and S. B. Halstead, "Dengue Infection," Nat. Rev. Dis. Primers, Vol.2, p.16055, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1038/nrdp.2016.55
- 김백남, "한국에서 뎅기열을 어떻게 진단할 것인가," J. Korean Med. Assoc., 제57권, 제7호, pp.624-626, 2014. https://doi.org/10.5124/jkma.2014.57.7.624
- 이재갑, "뎅기열," 대한내과학회지, 제86권, 제3 호, pp.277-281, 2014.
- V. Wiwanitkit, "Dengue Fever: Diagnosis and Treatment," Expert Rev. Anti Infect. Ther., Vol.8, No.7, pp.841-845, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1586/eri.10.53
- 정문현, "뎅기열," 대한내과학회지, 제77권, 제2호, pp.165-170, 2009.
- 염준섭, "국내 모기매개 질환의 현황과 전망," J. Korean Med. Assoc., 제60권, 제6호, pp.468-474, 2017. https://doi.org/10.5124/jkma.2017.60.6.468
- M. Aguiar and N. Stollenwerk, "Dengvaxia Efficacy Dependency on Serostatus: A Closer Look at More Recent Data," Clin. Infect. Dis., Vol.66, No.4, pp.641-642, 2018. https://doi.org/10.1093/cid/cix882
- K. Fatima and N. I. Syed, "Dengvaxia Controversy: Impact on Vaccine Hesitancy," J. Glob. Health, Vol.8, No.2, p.010312, 2018. https://doi.org/10.7189/jogh.08.020312
- 정영의, 이은주, "국내 뎅기열 진단실험실의 현황," 주간 건강과 질병, 제6권, 제38호, pp.761-765, 2013.
- D. A. Muller, A. C. Depelsenaire, and P. R. Young, "Clinical and Laboratory Diagnosis of Dengue Virus Infection," J. Infect. Dis., Vol.215, pp.S89-S95, 2017. https://doi.org/10.1093/infdis/jiw649
- 체외진단 시장(연구개발특구기술 글로벌 시장동향 보고서), 연구개발특구진흥재단, 2017.
- H. J. Ho, J. G. X. Wong, W. Mar Kyaw, D. C. Lye, Y. S. Leo, and A. Chow, "Diagnostic Accuracy of Parameters for Zika and Dengue Virus Infections, Singapore," Emerg. Infect. Dis., Vol.23, No.12, pp.2085-2088, 2017. https://doi.org/10.3201/eid2312.171224
- 이상호, 정석, 이정훈, 강지윤, "디지털 진단 기술 및 동향 분석," KEIT PD Issue Report, 제18권, 제7호, pp.19-32, 2018.
Supported by : 한국연구재단