- Volume 19 Issue 2
The purpose of this study is to reanalyze the impact of college education in the Korean economic growth during the period 1971-2017. The study estimates the impacts of monthly average income per worker without college education with respects to the ratio of workers with college education to worker without college education, capital per worker without college education, and the number of patients per worker with college education. The results showed that the effect of the ratio of workers who had college education was 0.433 at 5% of significant level. In addition, it was estimated that the effect of the capital for each worker who didn't have college education was 0.45646 at 1% of significant level. These findings are similar to the results in the previous study of Kim and Lim. Finally, the number of patents per worker who had college education was estimated. Unfortunately, the coefficients on these were not statistically significant except for one period. Therefore, it is concluded that there is a positive spillover effect from the college education in the Korean economic growth.
Economic Growth;College Education;Spillover Effect;Economic Return
- T. Schultz, Economic Value of Education, Columbia University Press, New York, 1963.
- OECD Factbook, 2010. (Kim, C. and Lim(2012)에서 재인용).
- C. Kim and G. Lim, "Social return to college education: evidence from South Korean college education," Applied Economics Letters, Vol.19, pp.1537-1541, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1080/13504851.2012.654907
- 김선재, 이영화, 임광혁, "인적자본형성으로서의 교육투자와 경제성장과의 관계: OECD 비영어권 국가들을 중심으로," 한국콘텐츠학회논문지, 제10권, 제3호, pp.315-325, 2010.
- R. E. Lucas, "On the mechanics of economic development," Journal of Monetary Economics, Vol.22, pp.3-42, 1988. https://doi.org/10.1016/0304-3932(88)90168-7
- E. Canton, "Social returns to education; macro-evidence," De Economist, Vol.155, pp.449-68, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10645-007-9072-z
- S. J. Yamarik, "Estimating returns to schooling from state-level data: a macro-Mincerian approach," The B. E. Journal of Macroeconomics, Vol.8, Article 23, 2008.
- E. Moretti, "Estimating the social return to higher education: evidence from longitudinal and repeated cross-sectional data," Journal of Econometrics, Vol.121, pp.175-212, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jeconom.2003.10.015
- 최기성, "대학 교육의 비용 및 편익 분석을 통한 투자수익률 추정," 이슈분석, 한국교용정보원, 2015.
- P. Romer, "Endogenous technological change," Journal of Political economy, Vol.98, No.5, pp.71-103, 1990. https://doi.org/10.1086/261725
- C. Jones, "R&D-Based Models of the Economics of Religion," Journal of Economic Literature, Vol.36, pp.1465-1496, Sep. 1995.
- 김선재, "뉴 노멀 시대하 한국의 인적자본이 영구적 국민경제성장에 미치는 영향," 한국콘텐츠학회논문지, 제17권, 제6호, pp.55-62, 2017.
Supported by : 한국연구재단