- Volume 19 Issue 2
The purpose of the study was to review the evidence of effects of virtual reality (VR) technology in nursing education. Four databases were searched for articles publised until November 2018 that databases include PubMed, Proquest (nursing and allied health), CINAHL, & RISS. Key word used for search include 'education, nursing', 'simulation', 'skill training', 'virtual reality' and 'VR'. Of 695 papers searched, Seven studies were selected for data analysis. Of seven studies, five studies used quasi-experimental design and two used one group design. There were two studies used VR technology for skill training and five were scenario based VR simulation program. Studies evaluated outcomes including students performance, time spent on practice, self-efficacy and communication ability that most studies reported positive effects while some figures were not statistically significant. The findings of this study provides evidence of nursing education program using VR, however, additional research with rigorously designed studies using systematized measurements for study outcomes are required. In addition, comparison with existing skill training and simulation education should be considered in the future studies.
Virtual Reality;Nursing;Skill Training;Simulation;Systematic Review
- M. S. KIM, J. H. Kang, and M. S. JUN, "Market and Technical Trends of VR Technologies," J. of The Korea Contents Association, Vol.14, No.4, pp.14-16, 2016.
- S. H. Choi and J. S. Woo. "The Nature of Flow in Virtual Reality Education: Based on A Grounded Theory Approach," J. of The Korea Contents Association, Vol.17, No.11, pp.446-460, 2017.
- A. B. Wolf, "The Impact of Web-Based Video Lectures on Learning in Nursing Education: An Integrative Review," J. of Nursing Education Perspectives, Vol.39, No.6, pp.16-20, 2018. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.NEP.0000000000000248
- M. E. Jeong and H. S. Park, "Effects of Case-Based Learning on Clinical Decision Making and Nursing Performance in Undergraduate Nursing Students," J. of the Korean Academy of Fundamentals of Nursing, Vol.22, No.3, pp.308-317, 2015. https://doi.org/10.7739/jkafn.2015.22.3.308
- H. S. Kang, Y. Y. Kim, and H. S. Lee, "Predictive Factors Influencing Clinical Competence in Nursing Students," J. of Korea Academy Industrial Cooperation Society, Vol.19, No.3, pp.389-398, 2018.
- Korean Accreditation Board of Nursing Education, "Nursing Education Accreditation Evaluation Manual(Bachelor's degree of the science of nursing)," 2017. Available from: http://www.kabone.or.kr/HyAdmin/upload/filelinkFile, cited 2019.1.13.
- P. M. Ironside, A. M. McNelis, and P. Ebright, "Clinical Education in Nursing: Rethinking Learning in Practice Settings," Nursing Outlook, Vol.62, No.3, pp.185-191, 2013.
- R. J. Sherwood and G. Francis, "The Effect of Mannequin Fidelity on The Achievement of Learning Outcomes for Nursing, Midwifery and Allied Healthcare Practitioners: Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis," J. of Nurse Education Today, Vol.69, pp.81-94, 2018. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2018.06.025
- C. Basdogan, C. H. Ho, and M. A. Srinivasan, "Virtual Environments for Medical Training: Graphical and Haptic Simulation of Laparoscopic Common Bile Duct Exploration," J. of Transactions on Mechatronics, Vol.6, No.3, pp.269-285, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1109/3516.951365
- C. A. Kilmon, L. Brown, S. Ghosh, and A. Mikitiuk, "Immersive Virtual Reality Simulations in Nursing Education," J. of Nursing Education Perspectives, Vol.31, No.5, pp.314-317, 2010.
- C. E. Jenson and D. M. Forsyth, "Virtual Reality Simulation: Using Three-Dimensional Technology to Teach Nursing Students," J. of CIN: Computers, Informatics, Nursing, Vol.30, No.6, pp.312-318, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1097/NXN.0b013e31824af6ae
- A. L. Butt, S. Kardong-Edgren, and A. Ellertson, "Using Game-Based Virtual Reality with Haptics for Skill Acquisition," J. of Clinical Simulation in Nursing, Vol.16, pp.25-32, 2018. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecns.2017.09.010
- C. Foronda, K. Gattamorta, K. Snowden, and E. B. Bauman, "Use of Virtual Clinical Simulation to Improve Communication Skills of Baccalaureate Nursing Students: A Pilot Study," J. of Nurse Education Today, Vol.34, No.6, pp.53-57, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2013.10.007
- C. L. Foronda, K. W. Hudson, and C. Budhathoki, "Use of Virtual Simulation to Impact Nursing Students Cognitive and Affective Knowledge of Evidence-Based Practice," J. of Worldviews on Evidence-Based Nursing, Vol.14, No.2, pp.168-170, 2017. https://doi.org/10.1111/wvn.12207
- P. C. Smith and B. K. Hamilton, "The Effects of Virtual Reality Simulation as a Teaching Strategy for Skills Preparation in Nursing Students," J. of Clinical Simulation in Nursing, Vol.11, No.1, pp.52-58, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecns.2014.10.001
- I. Dubovi, S. T. Levy, and E. Dagan. "Now I know How! The Learning Process of Medication Administration Among Nursing Students with Non-Immersive Desktop Virtual Reality Simulation," J. of Computers & Education, Vol.113, pp.16-27, 2017. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compedu.2017.05.009
- V. L. Vidal, B. M. Ohaeri, P. John, and D. Helen, "Virtual Reality and The Traditional Method for Phlebotomy Training Among College of Nursing Students in Kuwait: Implications for Nursing Education and Practice," J. of Infusion Nursing, Vol.36, No.5, pp.349-355, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1097/NAN.0b013e318243172f
- M. Verkuyl, D. Romaniuk, L. Atack, and P. Mastrilli, "Virtual Gaming Simulation for Nursing Education: An Experiment," J. of Clinical Simulation in Nursing, Vol.13, No.5, pp.238-244, 2017. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecns.2017.02.004
- R. P. Cant and S. J. Cooper, "Simulation in the Internet Age: The Place of Web-Based Simulation in Nursing Education. An Integrative Review," J. of Nurse Education Today, Vol.34, No.12, pp.1435-1442, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2014.08.001
- K. C. Cho, Y. E. Lee, S. E. Oh, Y. R. Tak, S. M. Chae, E. J. Kim, J. A. Oh, S. H. Kim, N. H. Kim, and Y. M. Ahn, "Trend Analysis of Research Articles Published in Child Health Nursing Research," J. of Child Health Nursing Research, Vol.21, No.4, pp.347-354, 2015. https://doi.org/10.4094/chnr.2015.21.4.347
- D. N. Oh, Y. R. Um, C. M. Kim, S. J. Ju, J. H. Choi, and M. S. Park, "The Coping Experience of Nursing Students in Clinical Practice : Trying to be a Meaningful Presence," J. of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, Vol.22, No.4, pp.430-440, 2016. https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2016.22.4.430
- Y. J. Lee, J. Y. Yeo, and S. K. Lee, "The Reliability and Validity of the Evaluation Tool for the Performance Outcomes in Simulation Practicum," J. of Korea Academy Industrial Cooperation Society, Vol.18, No.4, pp.154-162, 2017.
- N. Lelbold and L. Schwarz, "Virtual Simulations: A Creative, Evidence-Based Approach to Develop and Educate Nurses," J. of Creative Nursing, Vol.23, No.1, pp.29-34, 2017. https://doi.org/10.1891/1078-4522.214.171.124
- M. Verkuyl, D. Romaniuk, and P. Mastrilli, "Virtual Gaming Simulation of a Mental Health Assessment: A Usability Study," J. of Nurse Education in Practice, Vol.31, pp.83-87, 2018. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nepr.2018.05.007
- S. L. Dubovsky, D. Antonius, D. G. Ellis, W. Ceusters, R. C. Sugarman, R. Roberts, S. Kandifer, J. Phillips, E. C. Daurignac, K. E. Leonard, L. D. Butler, J. P. Castner, and G. R. Braen, "A Preliminary Study of a Novel Emergency Department Nursing Triage Simulation for Research Applications," J. of BMC Research Notes, Vol.10, No.15, 2017.
- Y. H. So, "A Comparison Analysis of Usability Evaluation for Simulation Learning based on Web 3D and Virtual Reality," J. of The Korea Contents Association, Vol.16, No.10, pp.719-729, 2016. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2016.16.10.719
- J. T. Park, J. H. Kim, and J. H. Lee, "Development of Educational Content for Dental Extraction Skill Training Using Virtual Reality Technology," J. of the Korea Contents Association, Vol.18, No.12, pp.218-228, 2018.
- M. Molenda, "In search of the elusive ADDIE model," J. of Performance improvement, Vol.42, No.5, pp.34-36, 2003.
- C. G. Brown-Johnson, B. Berrean, and J. K. Cataldo, "Development and Usability Evaluation of the mHealth Tool for Lung Cancer (mHealth TLC): A Virtual World Health Game for Lung Cancer Patients," J. of Patient Education and Counseling, Vol.98, No.4, pp.506-511, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pec.2014.12.006