- Volume 19 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
A Comparative Analysis on Facial Expression in Advertisements -By Utilising Facial Action Coding System(FACS)
광고 속의 얼굴 표정에 따른 비교 연구 -FACS를 활용하여
An, Kyoung Hee
- Received : 2018.09.19
- Accepted : 2019.02.19
- Published : 2019.03.28
Due to the limit of the time length of advertisement, facial expressions among the types of nonverbal communication are much more expressive and convincing to appeal to costumers. The purpose of this paper is not only to investigate how facial expressions are portrayed but also to examine how facial expressions convey emotion in TV advertisements. Research subjects are TV advertisements of
Advertisement;Nonverbal Communication;Facial Expression;Facial Action Coding System;Emotion
- U. C. E. Segerstrale and P. E. Molnar, Nonverbal communication: Where nature meets culture, Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, 1997.
- G. Cook, The discourse of advertising, Psychology Press, Chicago, 2001.
- D. Strinati, The Frankfurt School and the culture industry, An Introduction to Theories of Popular Culture, Routledge, 2004.
- G. Cook, The discourse of advertising, Psychology Press, 2001.
- J. Fiske, Introduction to communication studies, Routledge, 2010.
- 김우룡, 장소원, 비언어적커뮤니케이션론, 나남, 2004.
- P. Ekman and W. V. Friesen, "Constants across cultures in the face and emotion," Journal of personality and social psychology, Vol.17, No.2, p.124, 1971. https://doi.org/10.1037/h0030377
- M. L. Knapp, J. A Hall, and T. G. Horgan, Nonverbal communication in human interaction, Cengage Learning, 2013.
- 정정승, "의사소통과 비언어적 표현 양상," 영미어문학, 제81호, pp.225-249, 2006.
- C. Darwin, The expression of the emotions in man and animals(Vol.526), University of Chicago press, 1965.
- D. Morris, Manwatching: A field guide to human behaviour, New York: Harry N. Abrams. Inc., pp.1-318, 1977.
- M. S. Remland, Nonverbal communication in everyday life, SAGE Publications, p.178, 2016.
- E. A. Crane, Measures of Emotion: How Feelings are Expressed in the Body and Face During Walking, University of Michigan, 2009.
- M. Heller and V. Haynal, "Depression and suicide faces," What the face reveals, Oxford, pp.398-407, 1997.
- U. Hess and R. E. Kleck, "Differentiating emotion elicited and deliberate emotional facial expressions," European Journal of Social Psychology, Vol.20, No.5, pp.369-385, 1990. https://doi.org/10.1002/ejsp.2420200502
- H. I. Yun, "A Comparative Study on Advertising Appeal of Korean and Japanese Newspaper Advertisement Contents," The Journal of the Korea Contents Association, Vol.9, No.8, pp.219-230, 2009. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2009.9.8.219
- D. A. Hill, U.S. Patent No. 8,326,002, Washington, DC: U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, 2012.
- A. M. Kring and D. M. Sloan, The facial expression coding system: FACES, University of California, Berkeley, 1991.
- P. Ekman and E. L Rosenberg, What the face reveals: Basic and applied studies of spontaneous expression using the Facial Action Coding System (FACS), Oxford University Press, USA, Chicago, 1997.
- J. A. Sanchez, O. Starostenko, P. Medina, O. Cervantes, and W. Wan, "Affordable Development of Animated Avatars for Conveying Emotion in Intelligent Environments," In Intelligent Environments (Workshops), pp.80-91, 2014.
- P. Ekman, W. V. Friesen, and J. C. Hager, FACS manual, A Human Face, 2002.
- KyoungHee An and SeonGi Baek, "School Uniform Advertising, Sexuality, and Cross-Cultural Implication," The Journal of the Korea Contents Association, Vol.17, No.3, pp.609-623, 2017.
- R. Bierstedt, "An analysis of social power," American Sociological Review, Vol.15, No.6, pp.730-738, 1950. https://doi.org/10.2307/2086605