- Volume 19 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
The Influence of Self-conscious Negative Emotions on the Non-suicidal Self-injury: Focused on the Mediating Effects of Emotion Regulation Strategies
자의식적 부정정서가 비자살적 자해에 미치는 영향: 정서조절전략의 매개효과를 중심으로
Baek, Bo-Gyeom;Kim, Ji-In;Kwon, Ho-In
- Received : 2018.12.20
- Accepted : 2019.02.19
- Published : 2019.03.28
The purpose of this study was to investigate the mediating pathways of emotional regulators in relation to self-conscious negative emotions, including non-suicidal self-harm, guilt, shame, shyness, and internal hostility, further examining the gender difference in the mechanisms. The study subjects of were 652 college students from three universities in J district. Self-report questionnaires on self-harm, self-conscious negative emotions, and emotional control were administered to them. An analysis performed using model 4 of the process macro indicated that self-conscious negative emotions had a significant correlation with self-harming behavior and that this correlation was mediated by the emotional regulation of brooding. These results suggest that negative self-conscious emotions have a significant influence on self-harming behaviors, and brooding reinforces negative emotions then the risk of self-harming behaviors is amplified.
Non-suicidal Self-injury;Self-conscious Negative Emotion;Emotion Regulation Strategies
- M. K. Nock and A. R. Favazza, "Non-suicidal self-infury: Definition and classification. In M. K. Nock(Ed.), Understanding non-suicidal self injury: Origins, assessment and treatmen," American Psychological Association, pp.65-78, 2009.
- American Psychiatric Association, Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders (5th ed.), Washington, DC: American Psychiatric Association, 2015.
- J. Briere and E. Gil, "Self-mutilation in clinical and general population samples: Prevalence, Correlates, and Functions," American Journal of Othopsychiatry, Vol.68, No.4, pp.609-620, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1037/h0080369
- S. Ross and N. Heath, A study of the frequency of self-mutilation mental health foundation, Truth Hurts Report, 2002.
- 중앙일보, ""자해 사진이 유행" 구멍 뚫린 SNS...청소년 극단적 시도 증가," https://news.joins.com/article/23033871, 2018.10.10.
- M. K. Nock, "Self-injury," Annual Review of Clinical Psychology, Vol.6, No.1, pp.339-363, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.clinpsy.121208.131258
- J. Berman and P. H. Wallance, Cutting and the Pedagogy of self-disclosure, University of Massachusetts Press, 2007.
- J. J. Muehlenkamp and P. M. Gutierrez, "An investigation of differences between self-injurious behavior and suicide attempts in a sample of adolescents," Suicide Life Threat Behavior, Vol.24, No.1, pp.12-23, 2004.
- B. W. Walsh, Treating self-injury: A Practical guide, New York: Guilford Press, 2012.
- C. A. Hamza, S. L. Stewart, and T. Willoughby, "Examining the link between nonsuicidal self-injury and suicidal behavior: A review of the literature and an integrated model," Clinical Psychology Review, Vol.32, No.6, pp.482-495, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cpr.2012.05.003
- K. L. Gratz, "Measurement of deliberate self harm: Preliminary data on the deliberate self harm inventory," Journal of Psychopathology and Behavioral Assessment, Vol.23, No.4, pp.253-263, 2011.
- A. Laye-Gindhu and K. A. Schonert-Reichl, "Non suicidal self-harm among community adolescents: understanding the 'whats' and 'whys' of self-harm," Journal of Youth and Adolescence, Vol.34, No.5, pp.447-457, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10964-005-7262-z
- E. D. Klonsky, "Non-suicidal self-injury in United States adults: Prevalence, sociodemographics, topography and functions," Psychological medicine, Vol.41, No.9, pp.1981-1986, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0033291710002497
- 신다원, 남녀 청소년의 수치심경향성 및 죄책감 경향성이 학교생활 적응에 미치는 영향: 내부초점적 반응양식의 매개효과를 중심으로, 이화여자대학교 대학원, 석사학위논문, 2015.
- 김화정, 청소년의 비자살적 자해와 수치심경향성, 죄책감경향성의 관계, 서울여자대학교 대학원, 석사학위논문, 2017.
- W. R. Crozier and M. Burnham, "Age-related differences in children's understanding of shyness," British Journal of Developmental Psychology, Vol.8, No.2, pp.179-185, 1990. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.2044-835X.1990.tb00832.x
- A. L. Champman, K. L. Gratz, and M. Z. Brown, "Solving the puzzle of deliberate self-harm: The experiential avoidance model," Behavior Research and Therapy, Vol.44, No.3, pp.371-394, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.brat.2005.03.005
- M. Schoenleber, H. Berenbaum, and R Motl, "Shame-Related Functions of and Motivations for Self-Injurious Behavior," Personality Disorders: Theory, Research, and Treatment, Vol.5, No.2, pp.204-211, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1037/per0000035
- S. VanDerhei, J. Rojahn, J. Stuewig, and P. E. McKnight, "The effect of shame-proneness, guilt-proneness, and internalizing tendencies on nonsuicidal self-injury," Suicide and Life-threatening Behavior, Vol.33, No.3, pp.317-330, 2014.
- A. D. Brittlebank, A. Cole, F. Hassany, M. Keeny, D. Simpson, and J. Scott, "Hostility, hopelessness and deliberate self-harm: a prospective follow-up study," Acta Psychiatrica Scandinavica, Vol.81, No.3, pp.280-283, 1990. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0447.1990.tb06497.x
- 김근명, 차선경, "간호대학신입생의 정서인식, 정서표현, 정서표현양면성이 대학생활적응에 미치는 영향," 한국콘텐츠학회논문지, 제13권, 제1호, pp.322-332, 2013.
- 정구철, "대학생의 부정적 정서가 자살생각에 미치는 영향: 성별을 통한 폭발적 행동이 매개된 조절효과," 한국콘텐츠학회논문지, 제14권, 제12호, pp.775-784, 2014.
- D. M. Tice, E. Bratslavsky, and R. F. Baumeister, "Emotional distress regulation takes precedence over impulse control: If you fell bad, do it!," Journal of personality and social psychology, Vol.80, No.1, pp.53-67, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35188.8.131.52
- E. D. Klonsky and T. M. Olino, "Identifying clinically distinct subgroups of self-injurers among young adults: a latent class analysis," Journal of consulting and Clinical Psychology, Vol.76, No.1, pp.22-27, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-006X.76.1.22
- W. Treynor, R. Gonzalez, and S. Nolen-Hoeksema, "Rumination reconsidered: A psychometric analysis," Cognitive Therapy and Research, Vol.27, No.3, pp.247-259, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1023910315561
- E. A. Selby, L. D. Connell, and T. E. Joiner, "The pernicious blend of rumination and fearlessness in non-suicidal self-injury," Cognitive and Therapy Research, Vol.34, No.5, pp.421-428, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10608-009-9260-z
- J. Whitlock and K. L. Knox, "The relationship between self-injurious behavior and suicide in a young adult population," Archives of pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine, Vol.161, No.7, pp.634-640, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1001/archpedi.161.7.634
- Y. J. Lin and F. W. Wicker, "A comparison of the effects of thought suppression, distraction and concentration," Behavioural Research and Therapy, Vol.45, No.12, pp.2924-2937, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.brat.2007.08.004
- N. Koerner and M. J. Dugas, A cognitive model of generalized anxiety disorder: The role of intolerance of uncertainty, In G. C. L. Davey & A. Wells(Eds.), Worry and its psychological disorders: Theory, assessment and treatment, Hoboken, NJ, US: Wiley Publishing, pp.201-216, 2006.
- J. J. Gross and L. F. Barrett, "Emotion Generation and Emotion Regulation: One or Two Depends on Your Point of View," Emotion Review, Vol.3, No.1, pp.8-16, 2011 https://doi.org/10.1177/1754073910380974
- 서윤아, 비자살적 자해에 영향을 미치는 복합외상 및 복합외상증후군의 탐색, 충북대학교 대학원, 석사학위논문, 2014.
- C. E. Lzard, D. Z. Libero, P. Putnam, and O. M. Haynes, "Stability of emotion experiences and their relations to traits of personality," Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, Vol.64, No.5, pp.847-860, 1993. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35184.108.40.2067
- 이선화, 김보미, 유성은, "차별적 정서척도(DES-IV)의 타당화," 한국심리학회지: 일반, 제31권, 제1호, pp.147-167, 2012.
- S. Nolen-Hoeksema and J. Morrow, "Effects of responses to depression on the remediation of depressive affect," Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, Vol.58, No.3, pp.519-527, 1991.
- 김은정, 오경자, "우울증상의 지속에 영향을 주는 인지 및 행동 요인들: 3개월간 추적연구," 한국심리학회지: 임상, 제13권, 제1호, pp.1-19, 1994.
- N. Garnefski, V. Kraiij, and P. Spinhvben, Manual for the use of the cognitive emotion regulation questionnaire, The Netherlands: DATEC, Leiderdorp, 2002.
- 안현의, 이나빈, 주혜선, "한국판 인지적 정서조절전략 척도(K-DERQ)의 타당화," 한국상담학회, 제14권, 제3호, pp.1773-1794, 2013.
- E. H. Wertheim and J. C. Schwartz, "Depression, guilt, and self-management of pleasant and unpleasant events," Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, Vol.45, No.4, pp.884-889, 1983. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35220.127.116.114
- 권혁진, 비자살적 자해에 영향을 미치는 정서적.인지적 요인의 탐색, 서울대학교 대학원, 석사학위논문, 2013.
- 김수진, 비자살적 자해의 시작과 중단에 대한 내러티브 탐구, 숙명여자대학교 대학원, 박사학위논문, 2016.
- 오가혜, 안창일, "수줍음과 우울의 관계: 관계지향성과 사회적 지지를 중심으로," 한국심리학회, 제25권, 제3호, pp.657-673, 2006.
- 안영신, 청소년의 비자살적 자해에 관한 연구, 서울여자대학교 대학원, 석사학위논문, 2015.
- S. Nolen-Hoeksema, "Reciprocal Relations Between Rumination and Bulimic, Substance Abuse, and Depressive Symptoms in Female Adolescents," American Psychological Association, Vol.116, No.1, pp.198-207, 2007.
- 박현순, 원호택, "공황장애 환자의 인지특성에 관한 실험연구 1: 신체감각 정보에 대한 지각적 민감성과 파국적 해석과정," 한국심리학회지: 임상, Vol.15, No.1, pp.1-16, 1996.
- S. Nolen-Hoeksema, "Responses to depression and their effects on the duration of depressive episode," Journal of Abnormal Psychology, Vol.100, No.4, pp.569-582, 1991. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-843X.100.4.569