- Volume 19 Issue 3
The objective of this study was to explore the elements and effects of integrated care interventions for the elderly, and to describe the roles of social workers on the multidisciplinary teams. A rapid systematic review was conducted through a database-based search and a manual search. The main findings are as follows: First, Key elements of integrated care for the elderly were case management, individual multidisciplinary care plan, service characteristics, centrality of client needs, patient education, and self-management. Second, In terms of care experience and health of the elderly, and economic analysis, although the results were mixed, there were some positive effects on program participants compared to the control groups. Third, social workers have been found to serve as case managers, care managers, care coordinators, and direct service providers. Based on these results, educational and policy implications were suggested.
Integrated Care;Community Care;Clinical Integration;Social Worker
- N. Goodwin, "Understanding Integrated Care," International Journal of Integrated Care, Vol.16, No.4. pp.1-4, 2016.
- S. Shaw, R. Rosen, and B. Rumbold, What is Integrated Care? London: Nuffield Trust, 2011.
- M. de Stampa, I. Vedel, J. F. Buyck, L. Lapointe, H. Bergman, F. Beland, and J. Ankri, "Impact on Hospital Admissions of an Integrated Primary Care Model for Very Frail Elderly Patients," Archives of Gerontology and Geriatrics, Vol.58, pp.350-355, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.archger.2014.01.005
- D. Kodner and C. Spreeuwenberg, "Integrated Care: Meaning, Logic, Applications, and Implications - A Discussion Paper," International Journal of Integrated Care, Vol.2, No.14, pp.1-6, 2002.
- D. Redding, "The Narrative for Person-Centred Coordinated Care," Journal of Integrated Care, Vol.21, No.6, pp.315-325, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1108/JICA-06-2013-0018
- WHO, Integrated Care Models: An Overview, 2016.
- K. V. Stein, Integrated Care around the World Examples to Help Improve (Primary) Health Care in Poland, Warsaw: National Health Fund, Central Office Department of Analysis and Strategy, 2016.
- N. Gruber and U. Holtgrewe, INNOVCare, Austria: Centre for Social Innovation, 2017.
- N. Gruber and U. Holtgrewe, Memo on Existing Integrated Care Practices and Exploration of Possible Application Areas for Rare Disease Patients, https://innovcare.eu/wp-content/uploads-/2017/08/INNOVCare_WP9_Literature-review.pdf, 2018. 10. 15.
- P. Valentijn, S. Schepman, W. Opheij, and M. Bruijnzeels, "Understanding Integrated Care: A Comprehensive Conceptual Framework Based on the Integrative Functions of Primary Care," International Journal of Integrated Care, Vol.13, No.1, 2013.
- E. Fraher, E. L. Richman, L. de Saxe Zerden, and B. Lombardi, "Social Work Student and Practitioner Roles in Integrated Care Settings," American Journal of Preventive Medicine, Vol.5, No.6, pp.281-289, 2018.
- A. Cronqvist and K. Sundh, "On Collaboration between Nurses and Social Workers in the Service of Older People Living at Home. A Critical Literature Review," International Practice Development Journal, Vol.3, No.2, 2013.
- M. Fraser, B. Lombardi, S. Wu, L. de Saxe Zerden, E. Richman, and E. Fraher, "Integrated Primary Care and Social Work: A Systematic Review," Journal of the Society for Social Work and Research, Vol.9, No.2, pp.175-215, 2018. https://doi.org/10.1086/697567
- V. Stanhope, L. Videka, H. Thorning, and M. McKay, "Moving toward Integrated Health: An Opportunity for Social Work," Social Work in Health Care, Vol.54, No.5, pp.383-407, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1080/00981389.2015.1025122
- https://www.health.org.uk/publications/doesclinical-coordination-improve-quality-and-save-money, 2019. 02. 25.
- M. Kirst, J. Im, T. Burns, G. Baker, J. Goldhar, P. O'Campo, A. Wojtak, and W. Wodchis, "What Works in Implementation of Integrated Care Programs for Older Adults with Complex Needs? A Realist Review," International Journal for Quality in Health Care, Vol.29, No.5, pp.612-624, 2017. https://doi.org/10.1093/intqhc/mzx095
- K. Wynia, B. Kremer, S. Spoorenberg, R. Uittenbroek, and S. Reijneveld, "Embrace: A Population Based Integrated Elderly Care model Showed Improved Results and Saves Costs," European Journal of Public Health, Vol.24, No.2, 2014.
- J. Wiener, E. Gould, S. Shuman, R. Kaur, M. Ignaczak, and K. Maslow, Examining Models of Dementia Care: Final Report, Report prepared for the Office of the Assistant Secretary for Planning and Evaluation. Washington, DC: RTI International, 2016.
- F. Ruikes, A. Meys, G. van de Wetering, R. Akkermans, B. van Gaal, S. Zuidema, H. Schers, T. van Achterberg, and R. Koopmans, "The CareWell-Primary Care Program: Design of a Cluster Controlled Trial and Process Evaluation of a Complex Intervention Targeting Community-Dwelling Frail Elderly," BMC Family Practice, Vol.13, No.1, 2012.
- http://www.projectaida.eu/wp-content/themes/thunderbolt/docs/Swedish_Skora.pdf, 2018. 11. 02.
- S. Spoorenberg, Embracing the Perspectives of Older Adults in Organising and Evaluating Person-Centred and Integrated Care, Research Institute SHARE, 2017.
- R. Uittenbroek, H. Kremer, S. Spoorenberg, S. Reijneveld, and K. Wynia, "Integrated Care for Older Adults Improves Perceived Quality of Care: Results of a Randomized Controlled Trial of Embrace," J Gen Intern Med, Vol.32, No.5, pp.516-522, 2016.
- Center for Consumer Management in Health Innovation, Care That Works: Geriatric Resources for Assessment and Care of Elders(GRACE), 2018.
- https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT01283750?term=Maximizing+Independence+at+Home+%28MIND+at+Home%29&rank=1, 2018. 11. 11.
- M. MacAdam, "PRISMA: Program of Research to Integrate the Services for the Maintenance of Autonomy. A system-level integration model in Quebec," International Journal of Integrated Care, Vol.15, No.6, 2015.
- J. M. Evans, G. R. Baker, W. Berta, and J. Barnsley, "The Evolution of Integrated Health Care Strategies," Advances in Health Care Management, Vol.15, pp.125-161, 2013.
- N. Curry and C. Ham, Clinical and Service Integration: The Route to Improved Outcomes, London: King's Fund, 2010.
- F. Ruikes, E. Adang, W. Assendelft, H. Schers, R. Koopmans, and S. Zuidema, "Cost-Effectiveness of a Multicomponent Primary Care Program Targeting Frail Elderly People," BMC Family Practice, Vol.19, No.1, 2018.
- H. Berglund, H. Hasson, K. Kjellgren, and K. Wilhelmson, "Effects of a Continuum of Care Intervention on Frail Older Persons' Life Satisfaction: A Randomized Controlled Study," Journal of Clinical Nursing, Vol.24, No.7-8, pp.1079-1090, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1111/jocn.12699
- S. Spoorenberg, K. Wynia, R. Uittenbroek, H. Kremer, and S. Reijneveld, "Effects of a Population-Based, Person-centred and Integrated Care Service on Health, Wellbeing and Self-Management of Community-Living Older Adults: A Randomised Controlled Trial on Embrace," PloS one, Vol.13, No.1, 2018.
- S. Counsell, C. Callahan, W. Tu, T. Stum, and G. Arling, "Cost Analysis of the Geriatric Resources for Assessment and Care of Elders Care Management Intervention," Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, Vol.57, No.8, pp.1420-1426, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1532-5415.2009.02383.x
- C. Schubert, L. Myers, K. Allen, and S. Counsel, "Implementing Geriatric Resources for Assessment and Care of Elders Team Care in a Veterans Affairs Medical Center: Lessons Learned and Effects Observed," Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, Vol.64, No.7, pp.1503-1509, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1111/jgs.14179
- Q. Samus, D. Johnston, B. Black, E. Hess, C. Lyman, A. Vavilikolanu, J. Pollutra, J. Leoutsakos, L. Gitlin, P. Rabins, and and C. Lyketsos, "A Multidimensional Home-Based Care Coordination Intervention for Elders with Memory Disorders: The Maximizing Independence at Home (MIND) Pilot Randomized Trial," Journal of the American Association for Geriatric Psychiatry, Vol.22, No.4, pp.398-414, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jagp.2013.12.175
- H. Amjad, S. Wong, D. Roth, J. Huang, A. Willink, B. Black, D. Johnston, P. Rabins, L. Gitlin, C. Lyketsos, and Q. Samus, "Health Services Utilization in Older Adults with Dementia Receiving Care Coordination: The MIND at Home Trial," Health Services Research, Vol.53, No.1, pp.556-579, 2018. https://doi.org/10.1111/1475-6773.12647
- R. Hebert, M. Raiche Michel, M. Dubois, N. Gueye, N. Dubuc, M. Tousignant, and PRISMA Group, "Impact of PRISMA, A Coordination - Type Integrated Service Delivery System for Frail Older People in Quebec (Canada): A Quasi-Experimental Study," Journal of Gerontology: Social Sciences, Vol.65, No.1, pp.107-118, 2010.
- P. Valentijn, I. Boesveld, D. van der Klauw, D. Ruwaard, J. Struijs, J. Molema, M. Bruijnzeels, and H. Vrijhoef, "Towards a Taxonomy for Integrated Care: A Mixed-Methods Study," International Journal of Integrated Care, Vol.15, No.4, 2015.
- https://www.health.org.uk/publications/does-clinical-coordination-improve-quality-and-savemoney, 2019. 02. 25.
- https://www.cswe.org/getattachment/Centers-Initiatives/CSWE-Gero-Ed-Center/Teaching-Tools/Gero-Competencies/Practice-Guides/Assignments-Measurments/CI-Sec2-Role-SW.pdf.aspx, 2019. 02. 26.
- 보건복지부, 지역사회 통합 돌봄 선도사업 연계사업 설명자료, 2019. 01. 10.
- 대전광역시 서구보건소 치매안심센터 사례관리 담당자 인터뷰, 2019. 02. 25.
- G. Ellis, M. A. Whitehead, D. O'Neill, P. Langhorne, and D. Robinson, "Comprehensive Geriatric Assessment for Older Adults Admitted to Hospital," Cochrane Database Syst Rev, 2011.
- L. Burns, G. Gimm, and S. Nicholson, "The Financial Performance of Integrated Health Organizations," Journal of Healthcare Management, Vol.50, No.3, pp.191-212, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1097/00115514-200505000-00009
- World Health Organization(WHO). Framework for Action on Interprofessional Education & Collaborative Practice, Geneva, Switzerland: WHO. 2010.
- 김건희, 황은희, 신수진, "간호교육에서의 전문직간 교육에 대한 현황과 발전방향," 의학교육논단, 제19권, 제1호, pp.18-24, 2017.
- https://www.apa.org/education/grad/curriculum-seminar.aspx, 2018. 11. 11.
- https://www.samhsa.gov/about-us/about-cihs, 2018. 12. 11.
- 보건복지부, 지역사회 통합 돌봄[커뮤니티케어] 선도사업 추진계획, 2019. 01. 10.
- https://files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/ED504425.pdf, 2018. 12. 15.
Supported by : 대전대학교