- Volume 19 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
A Study on the Effect of ADHD-like Behavior and Schema of Youth Generation on the Entrepreneurial Orientation and Entrepreneurial Intention
청년세대의 주의력결핍성향(ADHD성향)과 스키마(Schema)가 기업가지향성과 창업의도에 미치는 영향에 관한 연구
Kim, Young-Su;Jeong, Hoi-Do
- Received : 2019.03.08
- Accepted : 2019.03.19
- Published : 2019.03.28
Many studies of entrepreneurship have focused on positive characteristics such as self-efficacy and self-leadership. However, recent studies are being conducted to find out effects of negative characteristics on entrepreneurship, such as ADHD-like behavior. This study investigated the impact of ADHD-like behavior on Entrepreneurial Orientation(EO) and Entrepreneurial Intention(EI). In addition, this study investigated the impact of schema related to opportunity recognition and entrepreneurial alertness on EO and EI. Data were collected from youth generation in Korea through online survey. The results show that the ADHD isn't significant for both risk-taking and innovativeness, but it has negative impact on pro-activeness. On the other hand, Schema has positive impact on all EO and EO has positive impact on EI. As a results, The higher ADHD-like behavior, the lower pro-activeness. Therefore ADHD-like behavior could lower EI through pro-activeness. However, Schema has positive impact on all EO, which has positive impact on EI.
Youth Generation;ADHD;Schema;Entrepreneurial Orientation;Entrepreneurial Intention
- https://www.forbes.com/sites/dalearcher/2014/05/14/adhd-the-entrepreneurs-superpower/#66d9dccc59e9, 2018.10.5
- N. Dimic and V. Orlov, "Entrepreneurial tendencies among people with ADHD," International Review of Entrepreneurship, Vol.13, pp.187-204, 2014.
- I. Verheul, J. Block, K. Burmeister-Lamp, R. Thurik, H. Tiemeier, and R. Turturea, "ADHD-like behavior and entrepreneurial intentions," Small Business Economics, Vol.45, pp.85-101, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11187-015-9642-4
- L. E. Knouse, L. Traeger, C. O'Cleirigh, and S. A. Safren, "Adult attention deficit hyperactivity disorder symptoms and five-factor model traits in a clinical sample: A structural equation modeling approach," Journal of Nervous and Mental Disease, Vol.201, No.1, pp.848-854, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1097/NMD.0b013e3182a5bf33
- J. R. Halbesleben, A. R. Wheeler, and K. K. Shanine, "The moderating role of attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder in the work engagement-performance process," Journal of Occupational Health Psychology, Vol.18, No.2, pp.132-143, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1037/a0031978
- J. Wiklund, H. Patzelt, and D. Dimov, "Entrepreneurship and psychological disorders: How ADHD can be productively harnessed," Journal of Business Venturing Insights, Vol.6, pp.14-20, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbvi.2016.07.001
- https://news.kotra.or.kr/user/globalBbs/kotranews/3/globalBbsDataView.do?setIdx=242&dataIdx=145580, 2018.12.5.
- Z. Kunda, Social Cognition: Making Sense of People, MIT Press, 1999.
- G. T. Lumpkin and G. G. Dess, "Clarifying the entrepreneurial orientation construct and linking it to performance," The Academy of Management Review, Vol.21, No.1, pp.135-172, 1996. https://doi.org/10.5465/amr.1996.9602161568
- D. L. Bolton and M. D. Lane, "Individual entrepreneurial orientation. Development of a measurement instrument," Education + Training, Vol.54, No.2/3, pp.219-233, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1108/00400911211210314
- American Psychiatric Association, Diagnostic Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders(5th ed.), American Psychiatric Publishing, 2013.
- R. A. Barkley, M. Fischer, L. Smallish, and K. Fletcher, "The persistence of ADHD into young adulthood as a functioning of reporting source and definition of disorder," Journal of Abnormal Psychology, Vol.111, No.2, pp.279-289, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-843X.111.2.279
- C. Advokat, S. M. Lane, and C. Luo, "College students with and without ADHD: Comparison of self-report of medication usage, study habits, andacademic achievement," Journal of Attention Disorders, Vol.15, No.8, pp.656-666, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1177/1087054710371168
- L. M. Garnier-Dykstra, G. M. Pinchevsky, K. M. Caldeira, K. B. Vincent, and A. M. Arria, "Self-reported adult Attention-Deficit / Hyperactivity Disorder symptoms among college students," Journal of American College Health, Vol.59, No.2, pp.133-136, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1080/07448481.2010.483718
- 장문선, 곽호완, "성인 ADHD 성향 집단의 하위 군집 탐색: 우울증상, 자존감, 및 대인관계 문제를 중심으로," 한국심리학회지:임상, 제26권, 제4호, pp.827-843, 2007.
- 홍승희, 이승연, "성인기 ADHD 성향과 부적응적 분노행동의 관계: 외적 권태성향과 지각된 사회적 지지의 매개효과," 상담학연구, 제15권, 제3호, pp.1215-1233, 2014.
- R. C. Kessler, L. A. Adler, M. J. Gruber, C. A. Sarawate, T. Spencer, and D. L. Van Brunt, "Validity of the World Health Organization Adult AD/HD Self-Report Scale (ASRS) in a representative sample of health plan members," International Journal of Methods in Psychiatric Research, Vol.16, No.2, pp.52-65, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1002/mpr.208
- R. A. Barkley, "Behavioral inhibition, sustained attention, and executive functions: Constructing a unifying theory of ADHD," Psychological Bulletin, Vol.121, No.1, pp.65-94, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-2909.121.1.65
- R. A. Barkley and K. Murphy, "Impairment in occupational functioning and adult ADHD: The predictive utility of executive function (EF) ratings versus EF tests," Archives of Clinical Neuropsychology, Vol.25, pp.157-173, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1093/arclin/acq014
- S. Mannuzza, R. G. Klein, A. Bessler, P. Malloy, and M. LaPadula, "Adult outcome of hyperactive boys: Education achievement, occupational rank, and psychiatric status," Archives of General Psychiatry, Vol.49, pp.565-576, 1993.
- S. Shane, L. Kolvereid, and P. Westhead, "An exploratory examination of the reasons leading to new firm formation across country and gender," Journal of Business Venturing, Vol.6, pp.431-446, 1991. https://doi.org/10.1016/0883-9026(91)90029-D
- N. Breslau, H. D. Chilcoat, R. C. Kessler, and G. C. Davis, "Previous exposure to trauma and PTSD effects of subsequent trauma: Results from the Detroit Area Survey of Trauma," American Journal of Psychiatry, Vol.156, pp.902-907, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1176/ajp.156.6.902
- R. J. Turner and D. A. Lloyd, "Lifetime traumas and mental health: The significance of cumulative adversity," Journal of Health and Social Behavior, Vol.36, pp.360-376, 1995. https://doi.org/10.2307/2137325
- M. D. Seery, R. J. Leo, S. P. Lupien, C. L. Kondrak, and J. L. Almonte, "An upside to adversity? Moderate cumulative lifetime adversity is associated with resilientresponses in the face of controlled stressors," Psychological Science, Vol.24, No.7, pp.1181-1189, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1177/0956797612469210
- L. Wilmshurst, M. Peele, and L. Wilmshurst, "Resilience and well-being in college students with and without a diagnosis of ADHD," Journal of Attention Disorders, Vol.15, No.1, pp.11-17, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1177/1087054709347261
- S. Young, "Coping strategies used by adults with ADHD," Personality and Individual Differences, Vol.38, pp.809-816, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.paid.2004.06.005
- G. D. Markman, R. A. Baron, and D. B. Balkin, "Are perseverance and self-efficacy costless? Assessing entrepreneurs' regretful thinking," Journal of Organizational Behavior, Vol.26, pp.1-19, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1002/job.305
- W. Roberts, J. R. Peters, Z. W. Adams, D. R. Lynam, and R. Milich, "Identifying the facets of impulsivity that explain the relation between ADHD symptoms and substance use in a nonclinical sample," Addictive Behaviors, Vol.39, No.8, pp.1272-1277, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.addbeh.2014.04.005
- N. Nicolaou, S. Shane, L. Cherkas, and T. D. Spector, "The influence of sensation seeking in the heritability of entrepreneurship," Strategic Entrepreneurship Journal, Vol.2, No.1, pp.7-21, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1002/sej.37
- C. J. Jackson, "How sensation seeking provides a common basis for functional and dysfunctional outcomes," Journal of Research in Personality, Vol.45, No.1, pp.29-36, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jrp.2010.11.005
- P. J. O'Connor and C. Jackson, "Learning to be saints or sinners: the indirect pathway from sensation seeking to behavior through mastery orientation," Journal of Personality, Vol.76, No.4, pp.733-752, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-6494.2008.00502.x
- H. A. White and P. Shah, "Uninhibited imaginations: Creativity in adults with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder," Personality and Individual Differences, Vol.40, pp.1121-1131, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.paid.2005.11.007
- H. A. White and P. Shah, "Creative style and achievement in adults with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder," Personality and Individual Differences, Vol.50, pp.673-677, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.paid.2010.12.015
- I. Marx, G. Domes, C. Havenstein, C. Berger, L. Schulze, and S. C. Herpertz, "Enhanced emotional interference on workingmemory performance in adultswith ADHD," The World Journal of Biological Psychiatry, Vol.12, No.1, pp.70-75, 2011. https://doi.org/10.3109/15622975.2011.599213
- J. S. McMullen and D. A. Shepherd, "Entrepreneurial action and the role of uncertainty in the theory of the entrepreneur," Academy of Management Review, Vol.31, No.1, pp.132-152, 2006. https://doi.org/10.5465/amr.2006.19379628
- A. Bechara and M. Van Der Linden, "Decision-making and impulse control after frontal lobe injuries," Current Opinion in Neurology, Vol.18, No.6, pp.734-739, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.wco.0000194141.56429.3c
- M. P. Paulus, "Decision-making dysfunctions in psychiatry-altered homeostatic processing?," Science, Vol.318, No.5850, pp.602-606, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.1142997
- P. Reynolds and B. Miller, "New firm gestation: conception, birth, and implications for research," Journal of Business Venturing, Vol.7, No.5, pp.405-417, 1992. https://doi.org/10.1016/0883-9026(92)90016-K
- F. Delmar and S. Shane, "Does business planning facilitate the development of new ventures?," Strategic Management Journal, Vol.24, No.12, pp.1165-1185, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1002/smj.349
- C. Gaglio and J. Katz, "The psychological basis of opportunity identification: entrepreneurial alertness," Small Business Economics, Vol.16, pp.95-111, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1011132102464
- E. Ozgen and R. A. Baron, "Social sources of information in opportunity recognition: Effects of mentors, industry networks, and professional forums," Journal of Business Venturing, Vol.22, pp.174-192, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusvent.2005.12.001
- V. Fernandez-Perez, A. J. VerdJover, and J. Benitez-Amado, "Managerial socialnetworks and strategic flexibility: the role of strategic orientation," Personnel Review, Vol.42, No.2, pp.134-153, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1108/00483481311309357
- B. Rehder, "Categorization as causal reasoning," Cognitive Science, Vol.27, No.5, pp.709-748, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1207/s15516709cog2705_2
- M. A. Lyles and C. R. Schwenk, "Top management, strategy and organizational knowledge structures," Journal of Management Studies, Vol.29, pp.155-174, 1992. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-6486.1992.tb00658.x
- J. L. Dutton, L. Fahey, and V. K. Narayanan, "Toward understanding strategic issue diagnosis," Strategic Management Journal, Vol.4, No.4, pp.307-323, 1983. https://doi.org/10.1002/smj.4250040403
- J. B. Thomas, S. M. Clark, and D. A. Gioia, "Strategic sensemaking and organizational performance: linkages among scanning, interpretation, action and outcomes," Academy of Management Journal, Vol.36, pp.239-270, 1993.
- C. M. Fiol and E. J. O'Connor, "Waking up! mindfulness in the face of bandwagons," Academy of Management Review, Vol.28, pp.54-70, 2003. https://doi.org/10.5465/amr.2003.8925227
- S. Nadkarni and V. K. Narayanan, "Strategic schemas, strategic flexibility, and firm performance: the moderating role of industry clockspeed," Strategic Management Journal, Vol.28, pp.243-270, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1002/smj.576
- J. Kickul, L. K. Gundry, S. D. Barbosa, and L. Whitcanack, "Intuition versus analysis? Testing differential models of cognitive style on entrepreneurial selfefficacy and the new venture creation process," Entrepreneurship: Theory and Practice, Vol.33, No.2, pp.439-453, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1540-6520.2009.00298.x
- V. Fernandez-Perez, P. E. Alonso-Galicia, L. Rodruez-Ariza, and M. Fuentes-Fuentes, "Professional and personal social networks: a bridge to entrepreneurship for academics?," European Management Journal, Vol.33, pp.37-47, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.emj.2014.07.003
- R. L. Daft and K. E. Weick, "Toward a model of organizations as interpretation systems," Academy of Management Review, Vol.9, pp.284-295, 1984. https://doi.org/10.5465/amr.1984.4277657
- V. Fernandez-Perez, V. J. Garcia-Morales, and D. C. Pulles, "Entrepreneurial Decision-Making, External Social Networks and Strategic Flexibility: The Role of Ceos' Cognition," European Management Journal, Vol.34, No.3, pp.296-309, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.emj.2015.12.002
- M. Tubbs and S. Ekegerg, "The Role of Intentions in Work Motivation: Implications for Goal-setting Theory and Research," Academy of Management Review, Vol.16, pp.180-199, 1991. https://doi.org/10.5465/amr.1991.4279004
- I. Ajzen, "The theory of planned behavior," Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, Vol.50, No.2, pp.179-211, 1991. https://doi.org/10.1016/0749-5978(91)90020-T
- N. Krueger, M. Reilly, and A. Carsrud, "Competing Models of Entrepreneurial Intentions," Journal of Business Venturing, Vol.15, No.5-6, pp.411-432, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0883-9026(98)00033-0
- B. Bird, "Implementing entrepreneurial ideas: The case for intention," Academy of Management Review, Vol.13, No.3, pp.442-453, 1988. https://doi.org/10.5465/amr.1988.4306970
- Norman R. Smith and B. John, "Type of Entrepreneur, Type of Firm, and Managerial Motivation: Implications for Organizational Life Cycle Theory," Strategic Management Journal, Vol.4, No.4, pp.325-340, 1983. https://doi.org/10.1002/smj.4250040404
- William R. Sandberg and Charles W. Hofer, "Improving new venture performance: The role of strategy, industry structure, and the entrepreneur," Journal of Business Venturing, Vol.2, No.1, pp.5-28, 1987. https://doi.org/10.1016/0883-9026(87)90016-4
- R. Thurik, A. Khedhaouria, O. Torr'es, and I. Verheul, "ADHD symptoms and entrepreneurial orientation of small firm owners," Applied Psychology, Vol.65, pp.568-586, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1111/apps.12062
- J. M. Crant, "Proactive behavior in organizations," Journal of Management, Vol.26, No.3, pp.435-462, 2000.
- W. Whitely, T. M. Doughterty, and G. F. Dreher, "Relationship of career mentoring and socioeconomic origins to managers' and professionals' early career progress," Academy of Management Journal, Vol.34, pp.331-351, 1991.
- Deakin Julia, Aitken, Michael Robbins, Trevor Sahakian, and J. Barbara, "Risk taking during decision-making in normal volunteers changes with age," Journal of the International Neuropsychological Society, Vol.10, No.4, pp.590-598, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1017/S1355617704104104