- Volume 15 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
SOx and NOx removal performance by a wet-pulse discharge complex system
습식-펄스방전 복합시스템의 황산화물 및 질소산화물 제거성능 특성
Park, Hyunjin;Lee, Whanyoung;Park, Munlye;Noh, Hakjae;You, Junggu;Han, Bangwoo;Hong, Keejung
- Received : 2019.03.04
- Accepted : 2019.03.26
- Published : 2019.03.31
Current desulfurization and denitrification technologies have reached a considerable level in terms of reduction efficiency. However, when compared with the simultaneous reduction technology, the individual reduction technologies have issues such as economic disadvantages due to the difficulty to scale-up apparatus, secondary pollution from wastewater/waste during the treatment process, requirement of large facilities for post-treatment, and increased installation costs. Therefore, it is necessary to enable practical application of simultaneous SOx and NOx treatment technologies to remove two or more contaminants in one process. The present study analyzes a technology capable of maintaining simultaneous treatment of SOx and NOx even at low temperatures due to the electrochemically generated strong oxidation of the wet-pulse complex system. This system also reduces unreacted residual gas and secondary products through the wet scrubbing process. It addresses common problems of the existing fuel gas treatment methods such as SDR, SCR, and activated carbon adsorption (i.e., low treatment efficiency, expensive maintenance cost, large installation area, and energy loss). Experiments were performed with varying variables such as pulse voltage, reaction temperature, chemicals and additives ratios, liquid/gas ratio, structure of the aeration cleaning nozzle, and gas inlet concentration. The performance of individual and complex processes using the wet-pulse discharge reaction were analyzed and compared.
Desulfurization;Denitrification;Precursor;Pulse plasma;Wet-scrubber;Low-back pressure nozzle
- Tseng, S., Smith, K., Lani, B., Carson, W., Berisko, D., and Schultz, C. (1992). Enhanced NOx removal in wet scrubbers using metal chelates-testing at miami fort pilot plant, In Proceedings of eighth annual coal preparation, utilization, Environmental Control Contractors Conference, Pittsburgh, PA.
- Tsuji, K., and Shiraishi, I. (1997). Combined desulfurization, denitrification and reduction of air toxics using activates coke, Fuel, 76, 549-553. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0016-2361(97)00010-0
Walker, R.J., Garr-Peters, J.M., and Perry, M.B. (1992). High removal wet scrubbing of
$SO_2$and NOx using electrodialysis and chemical reduction for regeneration, In Proceedings of eighth annual coal preparation, utilization, Environmental Control Contractors Conference, Pittsburgh, PA.
- Weast, R.C. (1987). CRC Handbook of chemistry and physics, 68th ed., p2464, CRC Press, Boca Raton, Fla.
Yamamoto, T., Okubo, M., Nakao, T., and Hayakawa, K. (2002). Simultaneous removal of NOx,
$SO_2$, and $CO_2$at elevated temperature using a plasma-chemical hybrid process, IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, 38, 1168-1173. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.2002.802911
- Chang, C.S., and Rochelle, G.T. (1982). Mass transfer enhanced by equilibrium reactions, Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Fundamentals, 21, 379-385. https://doi.org/10.1021/i100008a011
Chang, S.G., Littlejohn, D., and Liu, D.K. (1988). Use of ferrous chelates of SH-containing amino acids and peptides for the removal of NOx and
$SO_2$from flue gas, Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research, 27, 2156-2161. https://doi.org/10.1021/ie00083a033
- Kawamura, K., and Shui, V.H. (1984). Pilot plant experience in electron-beam treatment of iron-oer sintering flue gas and its application to coal boiler, Radiation Physics & Chemistry, 24, 117-127.
- Chang, S.G., and Liu, D.K. (1990). Removal of nitrogen and sulphur oxides from waste gas using a phosphorous/alkali emulsion, Nature, 343, 151-153. https://doi.org/10.1038/343151a0
Chang, S.G., and Lee, G.C. (1992). LBL PhoSNOX process of combined removal of
$SO_2$and NOx from flue gas, Environmental Progress, 11, 66-73. https://doi.org/10.1002/ep.670110120
- Lee, Y.H., Jung, W.S., Choi, Y.R., Oh, J.S., Jang, S.D., Son, Y.G., Cho, M.H., Namkung, W., Koh, D.J., Mok, Y.S., and Chung, J.W. (2003). Application of pulsed corona induced plasma chemical process to an industrial incinerator, Environmental Science & Technology, 37, 2563-2567. https://doi.org/10.1021/es0261123
- Lin, D.K., and Chang, S.G. (1988). Removal of nitric oxide from flue gas using water-soluble iron(II) dithiocarbamates, Environmental Science & Technology, 22, 1196-1200. https://doi.org/10.1021/es00175a012
Liu, D.K., Frick, L.P., and Chang, S.G. (1988). A ferrous cysteine based recycleable processes for the combined removal of NOx and
$SO_2$from flue gas, Environmental Science & Technology, 22, 219-223. https://doi.org/10.1021/es00167a015
Stouffer, M.R., Wiyhum, J.A., and Rosenhoover, W.A. (1992). Advanced induct sorbent injection for
$SO_2$control, In Proceedings of eighth annual coal preparation, utilization, Environmental Control Contractors Conference, Pittsburgh, PA.
Shimizu, T., Asazuma, J., Shinkai, M., Matsunaga, S., Yamagiwa, K., and Fujiwara, N. (2003). Simultaneous reduction of NOx,
$N_2O$, $SO_2$emissions from a fluidized bed coal combustor using alternative bed material, Journal of Chemical Engineering of Japan, 36, 782-787. https://doi.org/10.1252/jcej.36.782
Tu, M.D., and Chang, S.D. (1987). Chemistry of a flue gas combined NOx and
$SO_2$scrubber employing ferrous cysteine additives, Environmental Progress, 6, 51-56. https://doi.org/10.1002/ep.670060124
Grant : 중소 산업공정의 황산화물, 질소산화물 및 2차생성물 처리를 위한 습식 펄스 복합공정 개발
Supported by : 환경부