- Volume 15 Issue 1
The influences of corona charging parameters on collection efficiency and surface potential of air filters were investigated. A polypropylene filter medium was electrically charged using a corona charger, and the resulting surface potential and filtration efficiency against neutralized KCl particles were measured. The filter media was charged under different conditions of applied voltage, voltage polarity, charging time, and distance between electrodes. In addition, we considered charging both sides of the filter as well as charging one side of the filter. As a result, electrical force obtained by charged fiber affected filtration efficiency when the apply voltage strength was higher than 7 kV. Negatively charged filter had higher filtration efficiency than positively charged filter while the surface potential of the negatively charged filter was slightly lower than those of positively charged filter. Moreover, the filtration efficiency increased as the charging time of filter fiber increased and the distance between electrodes decreased. The filtration efficiency was more sensitive to changes of charging time than to those of electrode distance, and the efficiency of both sides charged filter was higher than that of single side charged filter.
Air filter;Corona charging;Applied voltage;Charging time;Filtration efficiency
- Agranovski, I.E., Huang, R., Pyankov, O.V., Altman, I.S., and Grinshpun, S.A. (2006). Enhancement of the performance of low-efficiency HVAC filters due to continuous unipolar ion emission, Aerosol Science and Technology, 40, 963-968. https://doi.org/10.1080/02786820600833203
- Ahn, Y.C., Park, S.K., Kim, G.T., Hwang, Y.J., Lee, C.G., Shin, H.S., and Lee, J.K. (2006). Development of high efficiency nanofilters made of nanofibers, Current Applied Physics, 6, 1030-1035. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cap.2005.07.013
- Boelter, K.J., and Davidson, J.H. (1997). Ozone generation by indoor, electrostatic air cleaners, Aerosol Science and Technology, 27, 689-708. https://doi.org/10.1080/02786829708965505
- Chang, J.S., Lawless, P.A., and Yamamoto, T. (1991). Corona discharge processes, IEEE Transactions on Plasma Science, 19, 1152-1166. https://doi.org/10.1109/27.125038
- Chazelet, S., Bemer, D., and Grippari, F. (2011). Effect of the test aerosol charge on the penetration through electret filter, Separation and Purification Technology, 79, 352-356. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.seppur.2011.03.021
- Chen, J., and Davidson, J.H. (2003). Model of the negative DC corona plasma: Comparison to the positive DC corona plasma, Plasma Chemistry and Plasma Processing, 23, 83-102. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1022468803203
- Chuaybamroong, P., Chotigawin, R., Supothina, S., Sribenjalux, P., Larpkiattaworn, S., and Wu, C.Y. (2010). Efficacy of photocatalytic HEPA filter on microorganism removal, Indoor Air, 20, 246-254. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0668.2010.00651.x
- Donovan, R.P. (1985). Fabric filtration for combustion sources: Fundamentals and basic technology, New York and Basel, Marcel Dekker, Inc.
- Emets, E.P., Kascheev, V.A., and Poluektov, P.P. (1991). Simultaneous measurement of aerosol particle charge and size distributions, Journal of Aerosol Science, 22, 389-394. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0021-8502(05)80015-1
- EN 779 (2012). Particulate air filters for general ventilation: Determination of the filtration performance, European Standard.
- Fisk, W.J., Faulkner, D., Palonen, J., and Seppanen, O. (2002). Performance and costs of particle air filtration technologies, Indoor Air, 12, 223-234. https://doi.org/10.1034/j.1600-0668.2002.01136.x
- Grass, N., Hartmann, W., and Klockner, M. (2004). Application of different types of high-voltage supplies on industrial electrostatic precipitators, IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, 40, 1513-1520. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.2004.836298
- Gu, Z., and Schill, R.A. (1997). Novel quasi-electrostatic air filter: A single-particle study, Journal of Electrostatics, 39, 203-230. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0304-3886(97)00006-5
- Hinds, W.C. (1999). Aerosol Technology: Properties, Behavior, and Measurement of Airborne Particles, 2nd Ed., New York, John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Intra, P., and Tippayawong, N. (2010). Effect of needle cone angle and air flow rate on electrostatic discharge characteristics of a corona-needle ionizer, Journal of Electrostatics, 68, 254-260. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.elstat.2010.01.008
- Johnston, A.M., Vincent, J.H., and Jones, A.D. (1987). Electrical charge characteristics of dry aerosols produced by a number of laboratory mechanical dispensers, Aerosol Science and Technology, 6, 115-127. https://doi.org/10.1080/02786828708959125
- Kim, S.C., Harrington, M.S., and Pui, D.Y. (2007). Experimental study of nanoparticles penetration through commercial filter media, Journal of Nanoparticle Research, 9, 117-125.
- Kuffel, E., Zaengl, W.S., and Kuffel, J. (2000). High voltage engineering: Fundamentals, 2nd Ed., Amsterdam, Newnes.
- Lee, B.U., Yermakov, M., and Grinshpun, S.A. (2004). Unipolar ion emission enhances respiratory protection against fine and ultrafine particles, Journal of Aerosol Science, 35, 1359-1368. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jaerosci.2004.05.006
- Li, K., and Jo, Y.M. (2010). Dust collection by a fiber bundle electret filter in an MVAC system, Aerosol Science and Technology, 44, 578-587. https://doi.org/10.1080/02786826.2010.481227
- Lin, J.H., Lou, C.W., and Yang, Z.Z. (2004). Novel process for manufacturing electret from polypropylene nonwoven fabrics, Journal of the Textile Institute, 95, 95-105. https://doi.org/10.1533/joti.2002.0004
- Nifuku, M., Zhou, Y., Kisiel, A., Kobayashi, T., and Katoh, H. (2001). Charging characteristics for electret filter materials, Journal of Electrostatics, 51, 200-205.
- Park, H.S., and Park, Y.O. (2005). Simulation of particle deposition on filter fiber in an external electric field, Korean Journal of Chemical Engineering, 22, 303-314. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02701502
- Park, J.H., Yoon, K.Y., and Hwang, J. (2011). Removal of submicron particles using a carbon fiber ionizer- assisted medium air filter in a heating, ventilation, and air-conditioning (HVAC) system, Building and Environment, 46, 1699-1708. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.buildenv.2011.02.010
- Park, J.H., Yoon, K.Y., Kim, Y.S., Byeon, J.H., and Hwang, J. (2009). Removal of submicron aerosol particles and bioaerosols using carbon fiber ionizer assisted fibrous medium filter media, Journal of Mechanical Science and Technology, 23, 1846-1851. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12206-009-0613-z
- Plopeanu, M.C., Notingher, P.V., Dumitran, L.M., Tabti, B., Antoniu, A., and Dascalescu, L. (2011). Surface potential decay characterization of non-woven electret filter media, IEEE Transactions on Dielectrics and Electrical Insulation, 18, 1393-1400. https://doi.org/10.1109/TDEI.2011.6032807
- Rengasamy, S., Miller, A., Vo, E., and Eimer, B.C. (2013). Filter performance degradation of electrostatic N95 and P100 filtering facepiece respirators by dioctyl phthalate aerosol loading, Journal of Engineered Fibers and Fabrics, 8, 62-69.
- Romay, F.J., Liu, B.Y., and Chae, S.J. (1998). Experimental study of electrostatic capture mechanisms in commercial electret filters, Aerosol Science and Technology, 28, 224-234. https://doi.org/10.1080/02786829808965523
- Sim, K.M., Park, H.S., Bae, G.N., and Jung, J.H. (2015). Antimicrobial nanoparticle-coated electrostatic air filter with high filtration efficiency and low pressure drop, Science of The Total Environment, 533, 266-274. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2015.07.003
- Tabti, B., Dascalescu, L., Plopeanu, M., Antoniu, A., and Mekideche, M. (2009). Factors that influence the corona charging of fibrous dielectric materials, Journal of Electrostatics, 67, 193-197. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.elstat.2009.01.047
- Tabti, B., Mekideche, M.R., Plopeanu, M.C., Dumitran, L.M., Antoniu, A., and Dascalescu, L. (2010). Factors that influence the decay rate of the potential at the surface of nonwoven fabrics after negative corona discharge deposition, IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, 46, 1586-1592. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.2010.2049626
- Tabti, B., Mekideche, M.R., Plopeanu, M.C., Dumitran, L.M., Herous, L., and Dascalescu, L. (2010a). Corona-charging and charge-decay characteristics of nonwoven filter media, IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, 46, 634-640. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.2010.2041090
- Thorpe, A., and Brown, R.C. (2003). Performance of electrically augmented fibrous filters, measured with monodisperse aerosols, Aerosol Science and Technology, 37, 231-245. https://doi.org/10.1080/02786820300944
- Tsai, P.P., Schreuder-Gibson, H., and Gibson, P. (2002). Different electrostatic methods for making electret filters, Journal of Electrostatics, 54, 333-341. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0304-3886(01)00160-7
- Yang, S., Lee, W.M.G., Huang, H.L., Huang, Y.C., Luo, C.H., Wu, C.C., and Yu, K.P. (2007). Aerosol penetration properties of an electret filter with submicron aerosols with various operating factors, Journal of Environmental Science and Health Part A, 42, 51-57. https://doi.org/10.1080/10934520601015651
- Yeh, H.C., Carpenter, R.L., and Cheng, Y.S. (1988). Electrostatic charge of aerosol particles from a fluidized bed aerosol generator, Journal of Aerosol Science, 19, 147-151. https://doi.org/10.1016/0021-8502(88)90263-7
Supported by : National Research Council of Science & Technology (NST)