- Volume 27 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
The Relationship between Pilot's Calling and Turnover Intention : The mediating effect of Role Conflict
공군 조종사의 소명의식과 이직의도의 관계 : 역할갈등의 매개효과
Ham, Seongsoo;Sohn, Young Woo
- Received : 2018.12.25
- Accepted : 2019.03.12
- Published : 2019.03.31
The purpose of this study was to investigate the relationship among Calling, Role conflict, and Turnover intention of Republic of Korea Air force pilot. Specifically, we examined the mediating effect of Role conflict on the relationship between Calling and Turnover intention. Survey data from 211 Pilots in R.O.K. Air force bases were analyzed with Structural equation model, using AMOS 21.0. Results are as follows. First, Calling had negative relationships with Role conflict and Turnover intention. Second, Role conflict had a positive relationship with Turnover intention. Third, Role conflict partially mediated on the relationship between Calling and Turnover intention. These findings suggest that Calling may play a critical role in Turnover intention and Role conflict of R.O.K. Air force pilot. Finally, we discussed the implications of these results, limitations, and research suggestions for the future research.
Calling;Turnover intention;Role conflict;Air force pilot;R.O.K. Air force
- Park, K. J., Noh, Y. S., & Shin, J. H., "A study about The ROKAF Pilots' Job Satisfaction Level and Intention of Turnover: Focused on The Factor Analysis of Job Stress", The Korean Society for Aviation and Aeronautics, 20(1), 2012, pp. 1-11.
- Yoon, S. C., Lee, J. H., & Sohn, Y. W., & Ha, Y. J., "The Effect of Calling on Organizational Commitment and Turnover Intention -The Mediated Effect of Psychological Capital and Organizational Identification and the Moderating Effect of Transformational Leadership and Perceived Supervisor Support", Journal of Human Resource Management Research , 20(4), 2013, pp. 61-86. https://doi.org/10.14396/jhrmr.2013.20.4.61
- Ham, S. S., "Calling and organizational behaviors among R.O.K. air force officers : moral duty and organizational identification as mediators, group as a moderator", Ph. D. Thesis. Yonsei University, Seoul, Aug. 2014.
- Hong, S. P., " Relationship between calling, subjective well-being, job satisfaction, and the turnover intention of air forces pilots", M. A. Thesis, Seoul Cyber University, Seoul, Aug. 2016.
- Elangovan, A. R., Pinder, C. C., & M., "Callings and organizational behavior", Journal of Vocational Behavior, 76, 2010, pp. 428-440. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvb.2009.10.009
- Jang, J. Y., & Lee, J. Y., " The Relation between Perceiving a Calling and Life Satisfaction: The Mediating Effects of Work Meaning, Living a Calling, Life Meaning, and Job Satisfaction", Korean Journal Of Counseling And Psychotherapy, 26(1), 2014, pp. 123-146.
- Bellah, R. N., Madsen, R., Sullivan, W. M., Swidler, A., & Tipton, S. M., "Habits of the heart", New York: Harper & Row, 1985.
- Wrzesniewski, A., McCauley, C., Rozin, P., & Schwartz, B., "Jobs, careers, and callings: People's relations to their work", Journal of Research in Personality, 31, 1997, pp. 21-33. https://doi.org/10.1006/jrpe.1997.2162
- Duffy, R. D., & Dik, B. J., "Research on calling: What have we learned and where are we going?", Journal of Vocational Behavior, 83, 2013, pp. 428-436. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvb.2013.06.006
- Hirschi, A., "Callings and work engagement: Moderated mediation model of work meaningfulness, occupational identity, and occupational self-efficacy", Journal of counseling psychology, 59(3), 2012, pp. 479-485. https://doi.org/10.1037/a0028949
- Peterson, C., Park, N., Hall, N., & Seligman, M. E. P., "Zest and Work", Journal of Organizational Behavior, 30, 2009, pp. 161-172. https://doi.org/10.1002/job.584
- Cardador, M. T., Dane, E., & Pratt, M. G., "Linking calling orientations to organizational attachment via organizational instrumentality", Journal of Vocational Behavior, 79(2), 2011, pp. 367-378. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvb.2011.03.009
- R.O.K. Assembly National Defense Committee Inspection and Investigation of State Administration, 2016.
- R.O.K. Air Force Headquarter, "Analysis results of Air force Organization Culture Surveys", Korean Gallup, 2009.
- Park, G. S., & Choi, I. O., "The moderating effect of trust on the relationship between air force pilot's organizational conflict and turnover intention", Journal of Vocational Education & Training, 14(2), 2011, pp. 153-176.
- Jung, H. S., Moon, H. K., & Choi, B. K., "The Effects of Distributive Justice, Perception of Promotion Opportunity, Role Conflict on Air Force Pilot's Turnover Intention: The Moderating Effects of Perceived Coworker's Job Search Behavior and Job Involvement", Korea Journal of Business Administration, 24 (5), 2011, pp. 2775-2809.
- Park, K. J., & Noh, Y. S., "A study on the relationship between the job stress factors and the turnover intention on the pilots of the Korean Air Force", The Korean Society for Aviation and Aeronautics, 19(3), 2011, pp. 33-42.
- Duffy, R. D., Dik, B. J., & Steger, M. F., "Calling and work-related outcomes: Career commitment as a mediator", Journal of Vocational Behavior, 78, 2011, pp. 210-218. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvb.2010.09.013
- Kim, S. J., & Jeon, J. H., "A Study on the Influence of Childcare Teacher's Calling on Turnover Intention - Focusing on mediating effects of trust and organizational commitment", Journal of Early Childhood Education & Educare Welfare, 22(2), 2018, pp. 173-194.
- Kim, H. J., "The Effects of Hotel Restaurant Employee's Sense of Calling on Self-Efficacy, Job Satisfaction and Turnover Intention", M. A. Thesis. Sejong University, Seoul, Aug. 2017.
- Noh, K. M., " The Effect of Social Enterprise Workers' Sense of the Calling and Working Environment on Turnover Intention : Mediating Effects of Job Satisfaction and Job Engagement", Korean Management Consulting Review, 18(2), 2018, pp. 27-36.
- Ahn, J. A., Kim, H. W., & Lee, J. Y., "The Structural Relationship between the Level of Calling, Job Satisfaction and Withdrawal Intention : Focused on the Mediating Effects of Living a Calling, Work Meaning, and Career Commitment", The Journal of Career Educational Research, 30(4), 2017, pp. 169-189. https://doi.org/10.32341/JCER.2017.12.30.4.169
- Lee, E. K., "A Study on the Perception of Youth Work as a Vocation and Attendant Levels of Job Satisfaction", Studies on Korean Youth, 22(1), 2011, pp. 115-140.
- Lim, J. I., & Sohn, Y. W., "The Influence of the Military Junior Leader's Relationship Conflict on Turnover Intention -The Moderated Mediating Effect of Defensive Silence and Calling", Journal of Human Resource Management Research , 23(1), 2016, pp. 303-321. https://doi.org/10.14396/jhrmr.2016.23.1.303
- Tett, R. P., & Meyer, J. P., "Job satisfaction, organizational commitment, turnover intention, and turnover: Path analysis based on meta-analytic findings", Personnel Psychology, 46, 1993, pp. 259-293.
- Chang, E., "Career commitment as a complex moderator of organizational commitment and turnover intention", Human Relations, 52(10), 1999, pp. 1257-1278.
- Staw, B. M., "The consequences of turnover", Journal of Occupational Behavior, 1(4), 1980, pp. 253-273.
- Oh, I. S., Kim, K. H., Darnold, T. C., Hwang, J. O., Yoo, T. Y., Park, Y. A., & Park, L. H., "Relationships among Job Satisfaction, Organizational Commitment, Job Performance, and Turnover Intention : A Literature Review and Meta-Analysis with Korean Samples", Korean Journal of Management, 15(4), 2007, pp. 43-86.
- Kim, H, Y., " Effects of air force pilot's job motivation on organizational commitment and intent to remain", M. A. Thesis, Korea University, Seoul, Aug. 2013.
- Katz, D., & Kahn, R. L., "The social psychology of organizations 2ed", New York City: John Wiley, 1978.
- Rizzo, J. R., House, R. J., & Lirtzman, S. I., "Role conflict and ambiguity in complex organizations", Administrative science quarterly, 15, 1970, pp. 150-163. https://doi.org/10.2307/2391486
- Rogers, D. L., & Molnar, J., "Organizational antecedents of role conflict and ambiguity in top-level administrators", Administrative Science Quarterly, 21(4), 1976, pp. 598-610. https://doi.org/10.2307/2391718
- Johnson, T. W., & Graen, G., "Organizational assimilation and role rejection", Organizational Behavior and Human Performance, 10(1), 1973, pp. 72-87. https://doi.org/10.1016/0030-5073(73)90005-6
- Goo, J. D., "The Effects of Hotel Employees' Role Ambiguity and Role Conflict on Organizational Effectiveness", Journal of Tourism Sciences, 39(6), 2015. pp. 81-93. https://doi.org/10.17086/JTS.2015.39.5.81.93
- Kim, K. Y., Ha, J. M., & Lee, S. K., "Regulation Effects of Social Support through Relationship between Role Related Stress and Turnover Intention: Focused on Workers in the Service Sector", International Journal of Tourism and Hospitality Research, 29(7), 2015, pp. 181-195.
- Park, S. J., "Influence of the Role Conflict or the Role Ambiguity on the Performance of the Banker's Duty", Ph. D. Thesis, Dong-Eui University, Busan, Feb. 2006.
- Park, D. H., Leam, J. U., & Kim, H. J., "Effects of Role Conflict of Franchise Supervisors on Job Satisfaction and Intent to Leave: Empirical Analysis Centered on Coffee Franchise", Korean Corporation Management Association, 58, 2014, pp. 95-112.
- Hwang, H. H., Choi, A. K., & Jeong, S. H., "Effects of Secretaries' Role Stress on Job Burnout and Turnover Intentions", Journal of Secretarial Studies, 24(2), 2015, pp. 121-142.
- Jung, H. S., "A study on Predictive factors influencing turnover intention in the pilots of the Korean Air Force." M. A. Thesis, Korea University, Seoul, Feb. 2010.
- Crossley, C. D., Bennett, R. J., Jex, S. M., & Burnfield, J. L., "Development of a global measure of job embeddedness and integration into a traditional model of voluntary turnover", Journal of Applied Psychology, 92(4), 2007, pp. 1031-1042. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.92.4.1031
- Hagmaier, T., & Abele, A. E., "The multidimensionality of calling: Conceptualization, measurement and a bicultural perspective", Journal of Vocational Behavior, 81(1), 2012, pp. 39-51. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvb.2012.04.001
- Ha, Y. J., Choi, Y. U., Eun, H. Y., & Sohn, Y. W., "Validation of the Korean version of Multidimensional Calling Measure(MCM-K)", Korea Society for Industrial and Organizational Psychology, 27(1), 2014, pp. 191-220. https://doi.org/10.24230/ksiop.27.1.201402.191
- Kahn, R., Wolfe, P., Quinn, R., Snoeck, J., & Rosenta, R., "Organizational stress, studies in role conflict and ambiguity", NY: John Wiley & Sons. 1964.
- Russell, D. W., Kahn, J. H., Spoth, R., & Altmaier, E. M., "Analyzing data from experimental studies: A latent variable structural equation modeling approach", Journal of Counseling Psychology, 45(1), 1998, pp. 18. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-0188.8.131.52
- Preacher, K. J., & Hayes, A. F., "Asymptotic and resampling strategies for assessing and comparing indirect effects in multiple mediator models", Behavior Research Methods, 40, 2008, pp. 879-891. https://doi.org/10.3758/BRM.40.3.879
- Jung, M. Y., & Choi, H. N., "The relationship between presence a calling, living a calling and subjective well-being among company employees: The mediating effects of meaning in life and career identity", Korea Journal of Counseling, 16(6), 2015, pp. 279-295.
- Seong, G. J., & Hwang, S. W., "Influence of Educare Teacher s Vocational Calling on Job Satisfaction : Focusing on Social Support Mediating Effect", Korean Journal of Child Education and Care, 17(4), 2017, pp. 71-90. https://doi.org/10.21213/kjcec.2017.17.4.71
- Jung, H. K., & Lee, J. Y., "Relationship between Teacher's Calling Spirit, Self-Efficacy, Job Commitment, and Life Satisfaction", Journal of research in education, 67, 2018, pp. 279-196.