- Volume 27 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
The Impact of GHG Emission Trading System on Air Transport Industry and Implication in View of Regulatory Policy
규제정책의 관점에서 바라본 온실가스(GHG) 배출권거래제가 국내 항공운송산업에 미치는 영향
Kim, Kwang-Ok;Park, Sung-Sik
- Received : 2019.02.18
- Accepted : 2019.03.25
- Published : 2019.03.31
The emission trading system implemented in Korea is a system in which the government allocates or sells emission rights by setting the emission allowable amount to economic players subject to the emission trading system, allowing companies to freely trade shortfall or extra money through the emission trading market. Korea also had implemented its first emission trading system scheme period of time from 2015 to 2017. As a result of the first planning period in which total of seven Korean airlines were targeted, the emission amount was about 5.51 million KAU, while the quota amount was only about 4.85 million KAU, about 116% of the actual quota was emitted and Domestic airlines have incurred additional costs of about 10.7 billion won. Due to ICAO's implementation of CORSIA, the airlines are expected to have to shoulder additional costs because purchasing exceed quota will be increased in order to offset excess emissions not only on domestic but also on international routes. Thus, this paper had analyzed the characteristics of the carbon trading system of air transport industry and suggested a mix of regulatory policies as an improvement method.
Green House Gas;Emission Trading System;Allowance;Airlines;Regulatory Policy
- Blasing, T. J. Recent Greenhouse Gas Concentrations, Carbon Dioxide Information Analysis Center(CDIAC), Oak Ridge National Laboratory(ORNL), Oak Ridge, TN, United States, 2013.
- Song, S. K., Kim, Y. K., Kang, Y. H., Sohn, J. H., Jung, J. H., "The Impact of Large-scale Increase of Traffic Density during Beach Opening Period in Summer on the Coastal Air Quality", Journal of Korea Society for Atmospheric Environment, Vol. 2011, No. 10, 2011, pp.278-287.
- Uherek, E., Halenka, T., Borken-Kleefeld, J., Balkanski, Y., Berntsen, T., Borrego, C., Gauss, M., Hoor, P., Juda-Rezler, K., Lelieveld, J., Melas, D., Rypdal, K., Stephan, S., "Transport impacts on atmosphere and climate: Land transport", Atmospheric Environment, Vol. 44, 2010, pp.4772-4816. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.atmosenv.2010.01.002
- Kim, H. B., Kim, J. K. "Calculating Carbon Dioxide Emissions in the City and Key Sectors for Low-Carbon City", Journal of Korea Planning Association, Vol 2, 2010, pp. 35-48.
- Uhm, I. S., Jang, J. Y., Lim, D. B., "Evolving Emission Trading System market and the Corporate Response against Carbon Cost", Issue Monitor, KPMG Economy Research Center, Vol. 87, 2018, pp.4-6.
- Baldwin, R., Cave M., "Understanding Regulation: Theory", Strategy and Practice, Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1999.
- Lee, H. Y., Choi, S. R., "A Study on the Regulation of Online-shopping Industry", Korean Society and Public Administration, Vol. 18, No. 4, 2008, pp.115-141.
- Gunningham, N., Sinclair, D.. "Regulatory Pluralism: Designing Policy Mixes for Environmental Protection", Law and Policy, Vol. 21, No. 1, 1999, pp.49-76. https://doi.org/10.1111/1467-9930.00065
- Moon, T. H., "Public Conflict and Conflict Management Policy in Korea : with a case study of the Sihwa town development project", Journal of Korean Regional Development Association, Vol. 30, No. 2, 2018, pp.47-72.
- Lee, W. H., Lee, H. Y., "The Trend and Characteristics of Environmental regulation Policy in Korea : focused on Types of Policy and Strategies", Journal of Korea Policy Science, Vol. 14, No. 3, 2010, pp.29-54.
- OECD, Instrument Mixes for Environmental Policy, 2017.
- Jung, Y. S., "Regulatory Pluralism in Fostering Regulatory Compliance - Environmental Regulation in OECD and Korea", Korean Local Government Studies, Vol. 8, No. 2, 2004, pp. 329-348.
- Kumazawa, R., Callaghan, M. S., "The Effect of the Kyoto Protocol on Carbon Dioxide Emissions", Journal of Economics and Finance, Vol. 36, No. 1, 2010, pp.201-210.
- Ollila, A., "Challenging the Scientific basis of the Paris Climate Agreement", International Journal of Climate Change Strategies and Management, 2019, Vol. 11, No. 1, pp.18-34. https://doi.org/10.1108/IJCCSM-05-2017-0107
- International Civil Aviation Organization, "On board a Sustainable Future", ICAO Environmental Report, 2016, pp. 97-98.
- Yoo, J. I. "CORSIA Requirements and preparation in Korea", presented in 2018 ICAO legal seminar in Asian-Pacific region, 2018, Korea Research Institute on Climate Change.
- Lee, J. H., Kim, W. H., Kim, Y. S., Choi, S. W., "A study on the approach to reduce in the aviation GHG emissions in Korea", Korean Society for Aviation and Aeronautics, Vol. 24, No. 1, 2016, pp.47-54.
- Park, R. M., "Preparation and Schedule of Emission Trading System of G in the future", Environmental Information, Ministry of Environment, September-October, 2014, pp.11-13.
- Johnson, M. E., Gonzalez, A., "Effects of Carbon Emissions Trading System on Aviation Financial Decisions", Journal of Aviation Technology and Engineering, Vol. 2, No. 2., 2013, pp.24-31
- KIm, B. J., Yoo, K. E., Choi, Y. C., "Influence of CO2 constraints to airlines by EU-ETS on passenger behavior", Korean Society for Aviation and Aeronautics, Vol. 19, No. 3, 2011, pp.61-68.
- Lee, G. Y., Yoo, K. E., Hwang, S. Y., "International Progress on the Impacts of Aviation on Climate Change and Study for an Advanced Carbon", Korean Society for Aviation and Aeronautics, Vol. 21, No. 2, 2013, pp.62-69.