- Volume 27 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
A Study on the Factors affecting Passengers'Impulsive Decision Making Behavior in Food and Beverage Restaurant in Airports
공항 식음료 매장에서 공항이용객의 충동구매행동에 영향을 미치는 요인에 대한 연구
Ko, Dong-Han;Kim, Geun-Su;Kim, Yong-Bum
- Received : 2019.02.13
- Accepted : 2019.03.25
- Published : 2019.03.31
The purpose of this study is to investigate factors that affect menu navigation time and consumer trust in food and beverage(F&B) restaurants to analyze the menu's effect on impulse buying behavior. Based on the results of the analysis, this paper derives theoretical and practical implications to improve the growth and development of F&B restaurants located in airports. According to empirical analysis, it was proven menu browsing time has been found to strongly influence passengers' impulsive order behavior. A passenger with a strong "consumption ability" navigates the menu for a longer period, which increases the likelihood of impulsive purchases. Service appeal also has a significant influence on menu navigation time. Third-party certification did not appear to help build passenger confidence, thus yielding contradictory results compared to previous studies. Word of mouth had the strongest influence on trust formation. Finally, when passengers were satisfied with the menu items of F&B restaurants they had previously ordered, they tended to believe that the menu items they had not tried would also be good. In sum, impulsive menu orders have a direct impact on the profitability of F&B restaurants.
Impulsive Purchasing;Incheon Int'l Airport;Food and Beverage Restaurant;Menu Browing Time;Trust
- Kim, K. I. "A Study on the Effect of Duty Free Shop Sales on Airline Delay at Airport : focusing on airlines of Incheon International Airport", Journal of Korean Society for Aviation and Aeronautics, Vol. 26, No. 2, 2018, pp.123-131.
- Park, H. S., Kim, H. Y., Lee, J. Y., Lee, S. M., "A Study on the Influence of Airport Environment on Airport Users' Emotions: focused on Incheon International Airport", Journal of Korean Society for Aviation and Aeronautics, Vol. 25, No. 4, 2017, pp.61-74.
- Han, Y., Lee, Y. E., "The Effect of Chinese Perceptions of Quality Attributes on Customer Satisfaction, Revisit Intention and Recommendation Intention for Korean Restaurants in Shandong, China", The Korean Society of Food and Nutrition, Vol. 30, No. 5, 2017, pp.943-959.
- Lee, Y. J., Lee, C. L., "The Role of Customer Loyalty Variables in the Effects of Customer Satisfaction on Firm's Performance", Marketing Research, Vol. 22, No. 1, 2007, pp.81-102.
- Iyer, E. S., "Unplanned purchasing: Knowledge of shopping environment and time pressure", Journal of Retailing, Vol. 65, No. 1, 1989, pp.40-57.
- Zeithaml, V. A., "Consumer perceptions of price, quality, and value: A means-end model and synthesis of evidence", The Journal of Marketing, Vol. 52, No. 3, 1988, pp.2-22. https://doi.org/10.1177/002224298805200302
- Parsa, H., Njite, D., "Psychobiology of price presentation: An experimental analysis of restaurant menus", Journal of Hospitality & Tourism Research, Vol. 28, No. 3, 2004, pp.263-280. https://doi.org/10.1177/1096348004263105
- Kim, K. J., "The Development Device of the Local Food Industry -Focusing on Local Food CEOs in Daejeon, Chungnam Province". Culinary Science & Hospitality Research, Vol. 16, No. 1, 2010, pp.78-91. https://doi.org/10.20878/cshr.2010.16.1.007007007
- Teo, T. S., Lim, V. K., Lai, R. Y., "Intrinsic and extrinsic motivation in internet usage", Omega, Vol. 27, No. 1, 1999, pp.25-37. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0305-0483(98)00028-0
- Davis, F. D., Bagozzi, R. P., Warshaw P. R., "User Acceptance of Computer Technology: A comparison of two theoretical models", Management Science, Vol. 35, No. 8, 1989, pp. 982-1003. https://doi.org/10.1287/mnsc.35.8.982
- Scanlan, T. K., Simons, J. P., "The construct of sport enjoyment. In G. C. Roberts (Ed.), Motivation in sport and exercise, (pp. 199-215), 1992, Champaign, IL: Human Kinetics.
- Zeithaml, V. A., Bitner, M. J., Gremler, D. D., "Services Marketing: Integrating Customer Focus across the Firm", 2006, Boston, MA: McGraw- Hill/Irwin.
- Kotler, P., "Atmospherics as a marketing tool", Journal of Retailing, Vol. 49, No.4, 1973, pp. 48-64.
- Baker, J., Levy, M., Grewal, D., "An experimental approach to making retail store environmental decisions", Journal of Retailing, Vol. 68, No. 4, 1992, pp.434-445.
- McElroy, J. C., DeCarlo, T. E., "Physical attractiveness on cognitive evaluations of saleswomen's performance", Journal of Marketing Theory and Practice, Vol. 7, No. 1, 1999, pp.84-100. https://doi.org/10.1080/10696679.1999.11501823
- Gabbott, M., Hogg, G., "An empirical investigation of the impact of non-verbal communication on service evaluation", European Journal of Marketing, Vol. 34, No. 3, 2000, pp.384-398. https://doi.org/10.1108/03090560010311911
- Ganesan S., "Determinants of long- term orientation in buyer-seller relationship", Journal of Marketing, Vol. 58, No. 2 April, 1994, pp.1-19 https://doi.org/10.1177/002224299405800201
- Crosby, L. A., Evans, K. R., Cowles, D., "Relationship quality in services selling: An interpersonal influence perspective", The Journal of Marketing, Vol. 54, No. 3, 1990, pp.68-81. https://doi.org/10.1177/002224299005400306
- Lewis, J. D., Weigert, A., "Trust as a social reality", Social Forces, Vol. 63, No. 4, 1985, pp.967-985. https://doi.org/10.1093/sf/63.4.967
- McAllister, D. J., "Affect-and cognition-based trust as foundations for inter-personal cooperation in organizations", Academy of Management Journal, Vol. 38, No. 1, 1995, pp.24-59.
- McEvily, B., Perrone, V., Zaheer, A., "Trust as an organizing principle", Organization Science, Vol. 14, No. 1, 2003, pp.91-103. https://doi.org/10.1287/orsc.220.127.116.1114
- Dowling, G., Creating corporate reputations: Identity, Image and Performance, Oxford University Press, 2001, Oxford, NY.
- Rich G. A., "The Sales Manager as a Role Model: Effects on Trust, Job Satisfaction, and Performance of Sales People", Journal of Academy of Marketing Science, Vol. 25, No..4, 1997, pp.319-328 https://doi.org/10.1177/0092070397254004
- Chu, S. C., Kim, Y., "Determinants of consumer engagement in electronic word-of-mouth (eWOM) in social networking sites", International Journal of Advertising, Vol. 30, No. 1, 2011, pp.47-75. https://doi.org/10.2501/IJA-30-1-047-075
- Cook, D., Luo, W., "The role of 3rd-party seals in building trust online", E-Service Journal, Vol. 2, No. 3, 2003, pp.71-84. https://doi.org/10.2979/esj.2003.2.3.71
- Solnick, J. V., Kannenberg, C. H., Eckerman, D. A., Waller, M. B., "An experimental analysis of impulsivity and impulse control in humans", Learning and Motivation, Vol. 11, No. 1, 1980, pp.61-77. https://doi.org/10.1016/0023-9690(80)90021-1
- Thompson, C. J., Locander, W. B., Howard, R. P., "The Lived Meaning of Free Choice: An Existential Phenomenological Description of Everyday Consumer Experiences of Contemporary Married Women" Journal of Consumer Research, Vol. 17, No. 3, 1990, pp.346-361. https://doi.org/10.1086/208562
- Zhang Y. Z., Shrum, L. J., "The Influence of Self-construal on Impulsive Consumption", Journal of Consumer Research, Vol. 35, No. 5, 2009, pp.838-850. https://doi.org/10.1086/593687
- Shafir, E., Simonson, I., Tversky, A., "Reason -based choice", Cognition, Vol. 49, No. 1, 1983, pp. 11-36.
- Baumeister R. F., "Yielding to Temptation: Self-Control Failure, Impulsive Purchasing, and Consumer Behavior", Journal of Consumer Research, Vol. 28, No. 4, 2002 pp.670-676. https://doi.org/10.1086/338209