- Volume 28 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Empirical Study of the Relationship between Communication-Structure Characteristics and Open Collaboration Performance: Focusing on Open-Source Software Development Platform
개방형 협업 커뮤니케이션 특성과 협업 성과 : 오픈소스 소프트웨어 개발을 중심으로
Lee, Saerom;Jang, Moonkyoung;Baek, Hyunmi
- Received : 2018.12.20
- Accepted : 2019.02.16
- Published : 2019.03.31
Purpose The purpose of this study is to examine the effect of communication-structure characteristics on performance in online collaboration using the data from Github, one of representative open source software development platforms. We analyze the impact of in-degree/out-degree centralization and reciprocity of communication network on collaboration performance in each project. In addition, we investigate the moderating effect of owner types, an individual developer or an organization. Design/methodology/approach We collect the data of 838 Github projects, and conduct social network analysis for measuring in-degree/out-degree centralization and reciprocity as independent variables. With these variables, hierarchical regression analysis is employed on the relationship between the characteristics of communication structure and collaborative performance. Findings Our results show that for the project owned by an organization, the centralized structure of communication is not associated with the collaboration performance. In addition, the reciprocity is positively related to the collaboration performance. On the other hand, for the project owned by an individual developer, the centralized structure of communication is positively related to the performance, and the reciprocity does not show the positive relationship on the performance.
Communication Structure;Open-Source Software;Open Collaboration;Virtual Community;Knowledge Management
- 강민형, 이재남, "개인의 지식기여 선행요인 간 상호작용효과," 지식경영연구, 제16권, 제1호, 2015, pp. 55-69.
- 구경모, 백현미, 이새롬, "개방형협업 참여자의 지식창출.지식공유 구조와 혁신 성과: 오픈소스 소프트웨어 개발 커뮤니티를 중심으로," 지식경영연구, 제18권, 제4호, 2017, pp. 287-306.
- 김용학, 사회연결망이론, 박영사, 2003.
- 김상현, 송영미, "오픈소스 소프트웨어의 지속적인 사용의도에 영향을 미치는 요인에 관한 연구," 인터넷전자상거래연구, 제9권, 제 1호, 2009, pp. 257-280.
- 백현미, 오세환, "개방형협업 참여자 기여도와 네트워크 특성과의 관계에 대한 연구 : 깃허브 오픈소스 프로젝트를 중심으로," 한국전자거래학회지, 제20권 제1호, 2015, pp. 23-43.
- 손동원, 사회 네트워크 분석. 서울: 경문사, 2002.
- 신택수, 이준용, "제조기업 실행공동체의 사회적 자본이 조직의 지식공유특성 및 개인혁신활동에 미치는 영향, 정보시스템연구, 제26권, 제3호, 2017, pp. 91-118.
- 오택섭, 김대식, 강미선, "컴퓨터 매개 커뮤니케이션 이용자들의 유형과 이용 특성에 관한 연구," 사이버커뮤니케이션학보, 제6호, 2000, pp. 71-103.
- 위키피디아, 웹크롤러, 2018 (URL: https://ko.wikipedia.org/wiki/%EC%9B%B9%ED%81%AC%EB%A1%A4%EB%9F%AC)
- 위키피디아, COMMIT, 2019 (URL: https://ko.wikipedia.org/wiki/COMMIT)
- 이새롬, 백현미, 장정주, "오픈소스 소프트웨어 운영자 역할이 성과에 미치는 영향," 한국전자거래학회지, 제21권, 제2호, 2016, pp. 23-46.
- 이새롬, 백현미, 장정주, "지식의 탐색 (Exploration)과 활용(Exploitation)이 개방형 협업의 성과에 미치는 영향: 오픈소스 소프트웨어 개발 프로젝트를 중심으로," 지식경영연구, 제18권, 제2호, 2017, pp. 85-102.
- 정진성. "커뮤니케이션 네트워크 유형 분석을 통한 CMC 협력학습 촉진방안 연구," 한양대학교 석사학위 논문, 1998.
- 진호석, 박상혁, 박정선, "지식공유의 장을 통한 협력네트워크 활성화에 대한 연구: 비영리조직 네트워크를 중심으로," 정보시스템연구, 제26권, 제2호, 2017, pp. 85-104.
- 허명숙, 천명중, "플로우의 구성요인, 조직몰입, 지식공유와 직무만족과의 관계에 대한 실증연구," 정보시스템연구, 제16권, 제4호, 2007, pp. 1-31.
- Adams, P. J., Capiluppi, A., and Boldyreff, C, "Coordination and Productivity Issues in Free Software: The Role of Brooks' Law," In Proceeding of IEEE International Conference on the Software Maintenance, 2009.
- Ahuja, M. K., and Carley, K. M., "Network Structure in Virtual Organizations," Organization Science, Vol. 10, No. 6, 1999, pp.741-757. https://doi.org/10.1287/orsc.10.6.741
- Ahuja, M. K., Galletta, D. F., and Carley, K. M., "Individual Centrality and Performance in Virtual R&D Groups: An Empirical Study," Management Science, Vol. 49, No. 1, 2003, pp. 21-38. https://doi.org/10.1287/mnsc.22.214.171.12456
- Akers, R. L. Deviant Behavior: A Social Learning Approach, Wadsworth, Belmont, 1973.
- Alavi, M., and Leidner, D. E. "Review: Knowledge Management and Knowledge Management Systems, Conceptual Foundations and Research Issues," MIS Quarterly, Vol. 25, No. 1, 2001, pp. 107-136. https://doi.org/10.2307/3250961
- Conceptual foundations and research issues. MIS Quarterly, Vol. 25, No. 1, pp. 107-136.
- Barile, A. L., and Durso, F. T., "Computer-mediated Communication in Collaborative Writing," Computers in Human Behavior, Vol. 18, No. 2, 2002, pp. 173-190. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0747-5632(01)00040-1
- Beck, R., Pahlke, I., and Seebach, C., Knowledge exchange and symbolic action in social media-enabled electronic networks of practice: A multilevel perspective on knowledge seekers and contributors. MIS Quarterly, Vol. 38, No. 4, 2015, pp. 1245-1269.
- Blau, P. Exchange and Power in Social Life, Wiley, New York, 1964.
- Buchanan, M. The Social Atom: Why the Rich Get Richer, Cheaters Get Caught, and Your Neighbor Usually Looks Like You. Bloomsbury, New York, 2007.
- Chengalur-Smith, S. and Sidorova, A., "Survival of open-source projects: A population ecology perspective," in Proceeding of International Conference On Information Systems, 2003.
- Crowston, K., Annabi, H., and Howison, J., "Defining Open Source Software Project Success," in Proceeding of International Conference On Information Systems, 2003.
- Curtis, A. M., Dennis, A. R., Hilmer, K. M., "From Monologue to Dialogue: Performative Objects to Promote Collective Mindfulness in Computer-Mediated Team Discussions," MIS Quarterly, Vol. 41, No. 2, 2017, pp. 559-581. https://doi.org/10.25300/MISQ/2017/41.2.10
- Deluga, R. J., "The Relation Between Trust in the Supervisor and Subordinate Organizational Citizenship Behavior," Military Psychology, Vol. 7, No. 1, 1995, pp. 1-16. https://doi.org/10.1207/s15327876mp0701_1
- DeSanctis, G., and Poole, M. S., "Capturing the Complexity in Advanced Technology Use - Adaptive Structuration Theory," Organization Science, Vol. 5, No. 2, 1994, pp. 121-147. https://doi.org/10.1287/orsc.5.2.121
- Dubrovsky, V. J., Kiesler, S., and Sethna, B. N., "The Equalization Phenomenon: Status Effects in Computer-mediated and Face-to-face Decision-making Groups," Human Computer Interaction, Vol. 6, No. 2, 1991, pp. 119-146. https://doi.org/10.1207/s15327051hci0602_2
- Engelmann, D., and Fischbacher, U., "Indirect Reciprocity and Strategic Reputation Building in an Experimental Helping Game," Games and Economic Behavior, Vol. 67, No. 2, 2009, pp. 399-407. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.geb.2008.12.006
- Faraj, S., Kudaravalli, S., and Wasko, M., "Leading Collaboration in Online Communites," MIS Quarterly, Vol. 39, No. 2, 2015, pp. 393-412. https://doi.org/10.25300/MISQ/2015/39.2.06
- Forte, A., and Lampe, C., "Defining, Understanding, and Supporting Open Collaboration Lessons from the Literature," American Behavioral Scientist, Vol. 57, No. 5, 2013, pp. 535-547 https://doi.org/10.1177/0002764212469362
- Grewal, R., Lilien, G. L., and Mallapragada, G., "Location, Location, Location: How Network Embeddedness Affects Project Success in Open Source Systems," Management Science, Vol. 52, No. 7, 2006, pp. 1043-1056. https://doi.org/10.1287/mnsc.1060.0550
- Hahn, J., Moon, J. Y., and Zhang, C., "Emergence of New Project Teams from Open Source Software Developer Networks: Impact of Prior Collaboration Ties," Information Systems Research, Vol. 19, No. 3, 2008, pp. 369-391. https://doi.org/10.1287/isre.1080.0192
- Hansen, K. V. The asking rules of reciprocity. At the Heart of Work and Family: Engaging the Ideas of Arlie Hochschild, Rutgers University Press, New Brunswick, 2011.
- Hathorn, L. G., and Ingram, A. L., "Cooperation and Collaboration Using Computer-mediated Communication," Journal of Educational Computing Research, Vol. 26, No. 3, 2002, pp. 325-347. https://doi.org/10.2190/7MKH-QVVN-G4CQ-XRDU
- Heckman, R., Crowston, K., and Misiolek, N., "A Structurational Perspective on Leadership in Virtual Teams," in Proceedings of the International Federation of Information Processing Working Groups 8.2 on Information Systems and Organizations and 9.5 on Virtuality and Society, Springer, Boston, MA., 2007, pp. 151-168
- Hertel, G., Niedner, S., and Herrmann, S., "Motivation of Software Developers in Open Source Projects: an Internet-based Survey of Contributors to the Linux Kernel," Research Policy, Vol. 32, No. 7, 2003, pp. 1159-1177. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0048-7333(03)00047-7
- Ho, S. Y., and Rai, A., "Continued Voluntary Participation Intention in Firm-Participating Open Source Software Projects," Information Systems Research, Vol. 28, No. 3, 2017, pp. 603-625. https://doi.org/10.1287/isre.2016.0687
- Hossain, L., and Zhu, D., "Social Networks and Coordination Performance of Distributed Software Development Teams," The Journal of High Technology Management Research, Vol. 20, No. 1, 2009, pp. 52-61. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.hitech.2009.02.007
- Huang, Y. M., Chiu, P. S., Liu, T. C., and Chen, T. S., "The Design and Implementation of a Meaningful Learning-based Evaluation Method for Ubiquitous Learning," Computers & Education, Vol. 57, No. 4, 2011, pp. 2291-2302. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compedu.2011.05.023
- Ilgen, D. R., Fisher, C. D., and Taylor, M. S., "Consequences of Individual Feedback on Behavior in Organizations," Journal of Applied Psychology, Vol. 64, No. 4, 1979, pp. 349-371. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.64.4.349
- Jarvenpaa, S. L., Knoll, K., and Leidner, D. E, "Is Anybody Out There? Antecedents of Trust in Global Virtual Teams," Journal of Management Information Systems, Vol. 14, No. 4, 1998, pp. 29-64. https://doi.org/10.1080/07421222.1998.11518185
- Kiesler, S., Siegel, J., and McGuire, T. W., "Social Psychological Aspects of Computer-mediated Communication," American Psychologist, Vol. 39, No. 10, 1984, pp. 1123-1134. https://doi.org/10.1037/0003-066X.39.10.1123
- Kratzer, J., Gemünden, H. G., and Lettl, C., "Balancing Creativity and Time Efficiency in Multi-team R&D Projects: The Alignment of Formal and Informal Networks," R&D Management, Vol. 38, No. 5, 2008, pp. 538-549. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-9310.2008.00528.x
- Krishnamurthy, S., "Cave or Community?An Empirical Examination of l00 Mature Open Source projects," First Monday, Vol. 7, No. 6, 2002.
- Lakhani, K. R., and Wolf, R. G., "Why Hackers Do What They Do: Understanding Motivation and Effort in Free-Open Source Software Projects," in Perspectives on Free and Open Source Software by J. Feller, B. Fitzgerald, S. A. Hissam, K. R. Lakhani (eds.), MIT, Cambridge, MA, 2005, pp. 3-21.
- Lee, S., Baek, H., and Jahng, J., "Governance Strategies for Open Collaboration: Focusing on Resource Allocation in Open Source Software Development Organizations," International Journal of Information Management, Vol. 37, No. 5, 2017, pp. 431-437. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijinfomgt.2017.05.006
- Lerner, J and J Tirole., "Some Simple Economics of Open Source," Journal of Industrial Economics, Vol. 50, No. 2, 2002, pp. 197-234.
- Lerner, J., and Tirole, J., "The Simple Economy of Open Source," NBER Working Paper, 2000.
- Levering, R. A., Great Place to Work. NY Avon, 1988.
- Lima, A., Rossi, L., and Musolesi, M., "Coding together at scale: GitHub as a collaborative social network," in Proceedings of 8th AAAI International Conference on Weblogs and Social Media, 2014
- Markus, M. L., "The Governance of Free/open Source Software Projects: Monolithic, Multidimensional, or Configurational?," Journal of Management & Governance, Vol. 11, No. 2, 2007, pp. 151-163. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10997-007-9021-x
- Merton, R. K., Social Theory and Social Structure, Free Press: New York, NY, 1968.
- Mockus, A., Fielding, R. T., and Herbsleb, J. D., "Two Case Studies of Open Source Software Development: Apache and Mozilla," ACM Transactions on Software Engineering and Methodology (TOSEM), Vol. 11, No. 3, 2002, pp.309-346. https://doi.org/10.1145/567793.567795
- Monge, P. R., Contractor, P. S., and Contractor, N. S., Theories of Communication Networks. Oxford University Press, USA. 2003.
- Moon, J. Y., and Sproull, L. S., "The Role of Feedback in Managing the Internet-based Volunteer Work force," Information Systems Research, Vol. 19, No. 4, 2008, pp. 494-515. https://doi.org/10.1287/isre.1080.0208
- Nan, N., and Kumar, S., "Joint Effect of Team Structure and Software Architecture in Open Source Software Development," IEEE Transactions on Engineering Management, Vol. 60, No. 3, 2013, pp. 592-603. https://doi.org/10.1109/TEM.2012.2232930
- Nowak, M. A., and Sigmund, K. "Evolution of Indirect Reciprocity," Nature, Vol. 437, No. 7063, 2005, p. 1291. https://doi.org/10.1038/nature04131
- Oh, W., Moon, J. Y., Hahn, J., and Kim, T. "Leader Influence on Sustained Participation in Online Collaborative Work Communities: A Simulationbased Approach," Information Systems Research, Vol. 27, No. 2, 2016, pp. 383-402. https://doi.org/10.1287/isre.2016.0632
- O'Mahony, S., "Guarding the Commons: How Community Managed Software Projects Protect Their Work," Res. Policy, Vol. 32, No. 7, 2003. pp. 1179-1198. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0048-7333(03)00048-9
- O'Mahony, S. and Ferraro, F., "Hacking alone? The Effects of Online and Offline Participation on Open Source Community Leadership," Working Paper, 2004.
- Panchal, J. H., and Fathianathan, M., "Product Realization in the Age of Mass Collaboration," in Proceeding of ASME Design Automation Conference, New York City, 2008.
- Pettijohn, C., Pettijohn, L., and Taylor, A. "Does Salesperson Perception of the Importance of Sales Skills Improve Sales Performance, Customer Satisfaction, Job Satisfaction, and Organizational Commitment, and Reduce Turnover?", Journal of Personal Selling & Sales Management, Vol. 27, 2007, pp. 75-88. https://doi.org/10.2753/PSS0885-3134270105
- Pettigrew, A., The Politics of Organizational Decision Making, London, Tavistock, 1973.
- Riehle, D., "The Economic Motivation of Open Source Software: Stakeholder Perspectives," IEEE Computer, Vol. 40, No. 4, 2007, pp. 25-32.
- Robbins, S. P., Organizational Behavior: Concepts, Controversies, Applications, Prentice Hall, U.S.A., 2001.
- Robinson, S. L., and Rousseau, D. M. "Violating the Psychological Contract: Not the Exception But the Norm," Journal of Organizational Behavior, Vol. 15, No. 3, 1994, pp. 245-259. https://doi.org/10.1002/job.4030150306
- Robinson, S. L., Kraatz, M. S., and Rousseau, D. M., "Changing Obligations and the Psychological Contract: A Longitudinal Study," Academy of Management Journal, Vol. 37, No. 1, 1994, pp. 137-152.
- Rogers, E. M., and Kincaid, D. L., Communication Networks: Toward a new paradigm for research, New York, Free press. 1981.
- Ruzzenenti, F., Garlaschelli, D., and Basosi, R. "Complex Networks and Symmetry II: Reciprocity and Evolution of World Trade," Symmetry, Vol. 2, No. 3, 2010, pp. 1710-1744. https://doi.org/10.3390/sym2031710
- Scacchi, W., and Jensen, C., "Governance in Open Source Software Development Projects: Towards a Model for Network-centric Edge Organizations," California University Irvine Institute For Software Research. 2008.
- Shah, S. K., "Motivation, Governance, and the Viability of Hybrid Forms in Open Source Software Development," Management Science, Vol. 52, No. 7, 2006, pp. 1000-1014. https://doi.org/10.1287/mnsc.1060.0553
- Sproull, L., and Kiesler, S., "Reducing Social Context Cues: Electronic Mail in Organizational Communication," Management Science, Vol. 32, No. 11, 1986, pp. 1492-1512. https://doi.org/10.1287/mnsc.32.11.1492
- Spaeth, S., Haefliger, S., von Krogh, G., and Renzl, B. "Communal Resources in Open Source Software Development," Information Research: An International Electronic Journal, Vol. 13, No. 1, 2008, pp. 1-24.
- Straub, D. W., and Karahanna, E., "Knowledge Worker Communications and Recipient Availability: Toward a Task Closure Explanation of Media Choice," Organization Science, Vol. 9, No. 2, 1998, pp. 169-175.
- von Krogh, G., Spaeth, S., and Lakhani, K. R., "Community, Joining, and Specialization in Open Source Software Innovation: a Case Study," Research Policy, Vol. 32, No. 7, 2003, pp. 1217-1241. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0048-7333(03)00050-7
- Walsh, J. P., Kucker, S., Maloney, N. G., and Gabbay, S. "Connecting Minds: Computer Mediated Communication And Scientific Work," Journal of the American Society for Information Science, Vol. 51, No. 14, 2000, pp. 1295-1305. https://doi.org/10.1002/1097-4571(2000)9999:9999<::AID-ASI1046>3.0.CO;2-W
- Walther, J. B., "Computer-mediated Communication: Impersonal, Interpersonal, and Hyperpersonal Interaction," Communication Research, Vol. 23, No. 1, 1996, pp. 3-43.
- Warschauer, M. "Computer mediated Collaborative Learning: Theory and Practice," The modern Language Journal, Vol. 81, No. 4, 1997, pp. 470-481. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1540-4781.1997.tb05514.x
- Wasko, M. M., and Faraj, S., "Why Should I Share? Examining Social Capital and Knowledge Contribution in Electronic Networks of Practice," MIS Quarterly, Vol. 29, No. 1, 2005, pp. 35-57. https://doi.org/10.2307/25148667
- Wasserman, S., Advances in Social Network Analysis: Research in the Social and Behavioral Sciences, Sage, Newcastle, 1994.
- Wasserman, S., and Faust, K., Social Network Analysis: Methods and Applications Vol. 8. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, 1994.
- Weber, S., The Success of Open Source, Harvard University, Cambridge, MA, 2004.
- Yoo, Y. and Alavi, M., "Emergent Leadership in Virtual Teams: What Do Emergent Leaders Do?," Information and Organization, Vol. 14, No. 1, 2004, pp. 27-58. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.infoandorg.2003.11.001
- Yoshikawa, Y., Iwata, T., and Sawada, H., Collaboration on Social Media: Analyzing Successful Projects on Social Coding. arXiv:1408.6012, 2014.
Supported by : 한국연구재단