- Volume 28 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Analysis of Decoupling Phenomenon Between Economic Growth and GHG Emissions: Dynamic Panel Analysis of 63 Countries (1980~2014)
경제성장과 탄소배출량의 탈동조화 현상 분석: 63개국 동태패널분석(1980~2014년)
- Lim, Hyungwoo (Department of Economics, Yonsei University) ;
- Jo, Ha-hyun (Department of Economics, Yonsei University)
- Received : 2019.08.13
- Accepted : 2019.10.29
- Published : 2019.12.31
The importance of "decoupling" to maintain economic growth and reduce greenhouse gases is emerging as the world has been mandated to reduce greenhouse gases since the 2015 Paris Agreement. This study covered 63 countries from 1980 to 2014 and analyzed the main characteristics and causes of decoupling phenomenon between economic growth and carbon emissions. In this study, the degree of decoupling was measured every five years. The analysis found that the decoupling rate of OECD countries and countries with large incomes was high, and that the decoupling phenomenon has accelerated worldwide since the 2000s. However, the degree of decoupling was different depending on the national characteristics. According to the results of dynamic panel model, the growth rate of manufacturing and the proportion of exports hampered decoupling, while the proportion of human capital and renewable energy had a positive effect on decoupling. Also income had a inverse U-shape non-linear effect on decoupling.
- 김재혁.조하현, "1인당 탄소배출 수렴가설 검정: 105 개국 동태적 패널임계 분석", 국제통상연구, 제22권 제1호, 2017, pp. 123-154.
- 노동운, "최근 세계 온실가스 배출추이와 시사점", KEEI 세계 에너지 시장 인사이트, 제16권 제5호, 2016.2.
- 이상준, "주요국의 온실가스 배출과 경제성장의 탈동조화 경향과 시사점", KERI Insight, 제17권 제6호, 2017.
- 조상섭.강신원.김동엽, "비정태적 패널자료를 이용한 환경 쿠즈네츠가설에 대한 실증 분석-OECD 17 개국 사례분석", 자원.환경경제연구, 제10권 제4호, 2001, pp. 619-633.
최충익.김지현, "경제성장과 환경오염간의 관계에 대한 국제비교연구:
$CO_2$의 환경쿠즈네츠 곡선 검증을 중심으로", 국토계획, 제41권 제1호, 2006, pp. 153-166.
Andersson, Fredrik NG, and Peter Karpestam. "
$CO_2$emissions and economic activity: Short-and long-run economic determinants of scale, energy intensity and carbon intensity," Energy Policy, Vol. 61, 2013, pp. 1285-1294. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enpol.2013.06.004
- Ang, B. W., "The LMDI approach to decomposition analysis: a practical guide," Energy Policy, Vol. 33, No. 7, 2005, pp. 867-871. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enpol.2003.10.010
- Arellano, M. and S. Bond, "Some tests of specification for panel data: Monte Carlo evidence and an application to employment equations," The Review of Economic Studies, Vol. 58, No. 2, 1991, pp. 277-297. https://doi.org/10.2307/2297968
- Arellano, M. and O. Bover, "Another look at the instrumental variable estimation of error-components models," Journal of Econometrics, Vol. 68, No. 1, 1995, pp. 29-51. https://doi.org/10.1016/0304-4076(94)01642-D
- Beckerman, W., "Economic growth and the environment: Whose growth? Whose environment?," World Development, Vol. 20, No. 4, 1992, pp. 481-496. https://doi.org/10.1016/0305-750X(92)90038-W
- Bimonte, S., "Information access, income distribution, and the Environmental Kuznets Curve," Ecological Economics, Vol. 41, No. 1, 2002, pp. 145-156. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0921-8009(02)00022-8
- Blundell, R. and S. Bond, "Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data models," Journal of Econometrics, Vol. 87, No. 1, 1998, pp. 115-143. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0304-4076(98)00009-8
- Coondoo, D. and S. Dinda, "Carbon dioxide emission and income: A temporal analysis of cross-country distributional patterns," Ecological Economics, Vol. 65, No. 2, 2008, pp. 375-385. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecolecon.2007.07.001
- Dutt, K., "Governance, institutions and the environment-income relationship: a cross-country study," Environment, Development and Sustainability, Vol. 11, No. 4, 2009, pp. 705-723. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10668-007-9138-8
- Grand, M. C., "Carbon emission targets and decoupling indicators," Ecological Indicators, Vol. 67, 2016, pp. 649-656. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecolind.2016.03.042
- Gupta, S., "Decoupling: a step toward sustainable development with reference to OECD countries," International Journal of Sustainable Development & World Ecology, Vol. 22, No. 6, 2015, pp. 510-519. https://doi.org/10.1080/13504509.2015.1088485
- IPCC, 2014: Climate Change 2014: Synthesis Report. Contribution of Working Groups I, II and III to the Fifth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change [Core Writing Team, R.K. Pachauri and L.A. Meyer (eds.)]. IPCC, Geneva, Switzerland, 151.
Iwata, H., K. Okada, and S. Samreth, "A note on the environmental Kuznets curve for
$CO_2$: a pooled mean group approach," Applied Energy, Vol. 88, No. 5, 2011, pp. 1986-1996. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apenergy.2010.11.005
Kaika, D., and E. Zervas, "The Environmental Kuznets Curve (EKC) theory-Part A: Concept, causes and the
$CO_2$emissions case," Energy Policy, Vol. 62, 2013, pp. 1392-1402. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enpol.2013.07.131
- Kaika, D., and E. Zervas, "The Environmental Kuznets curve (EKC) theory-Part B: Critical issues," Energy Policy, Vol. 62, 2013, pp. 1403-1411. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enpol.2013.07.130
- Kaya, Y., "Impact of carbon dioxide emission control on GNP growth: interpretation of proposed scenarios," Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change/Response Strategies Working Group, 1989 May.
- Levinson, A., and S. Taylor, "Trade and the environment: Unmasking the pollution haven," Georgetown University (2004).
- Lu, I. J., S. J. Lin, and C. Lewis, "Decomposition and decoupling effects of carbon dioxide emission from highway transportation in Taiwan, Germany, Japan and South Korea," Energy Policy, Vol. 35, No. 6, 2007, pp. 3226-3235. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enpol.2006.11.003
- Magnani, E., "The Environmental Kuznets Curve, environmental protection policy and income distribution," Ecological Economics, Vol. 32, No. 3, 2000, pp. 431-443. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0921-8009(99)00115-9
- Neumayer, E., "Is economic growth the environment's best friend?," Zeitschrift fur Umweltpolitik und Umweltrecht, Vol. 21, 1998, pp. 161-176.
- OECD, "Indicators to measure decoupling of environmental pressure from economic growth," Sustainable development SG/SD, 2002.
- Panayotou T. Economic growth and the environment. The environment in anthropology. 2016 Apr 26:140-8.
- Perrings, Charles, and Alberto Ansuategi, "Sustainability, growth and development," Journal of Economic Studies, Vol. 27, No. 1/2, 2000, pp. 19-54. https://doi.org/10.1108/EUM0000000005309
- Roodman, D., "How to do xtabond2: An introduction to difference and system GMM in Stata," The Stata Journal, Vol. 9, No. 1, 2009, pp. 86-136. https://doi.org/10.1177/1536867X0900900106
- Ru, X., S. Chen, and H. Dong, "An empirical study on relationship between economic growth and carbon emissions based on decoupling theory," Journal of Sustainable Development, Vol. 5, No. 8, 2012.
- Shafik, Nemat, and Sushenjit Bandyopadhyay. Economic growth and environmental quality: time-series and cross-country evidence. Vol. 904. World Bank Publications, 1992.
- Suri, V., and D. Chapman, "Economic growth, trade and energy: implications for the environmental Kuznets curve," Ecological Economics, Vol. 25, No. 2, 1998, pp. 195-208. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0921-8009(97)00180-8
- Tapio P. "Towards a theory of decoupling: degrees of decoupling in the EU and the case of road traffic in Finland between 1970 and 2001," Transport Policy, Vol. 12, No. 2, 2005 , pp. 137-151. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tranpol.2005.01.001
- Torras, M., and J. K. Boyce, "Income, inequality, and pollution: a reassessment of the environmental Kuznets curve," Ecological Economics, Vol. 25, No. 2, 1998, pp. 147-160. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0921-8009(97)00177-8
- Wang, W., Y. Kuang, N. Huang, and D. Zhao, "Empirical research on decoupling relationship between energy-related carbon emission and economic growth in Guangdong province based on extended kaya identity," The Scientific World Journal, 2014.
Wang, W., R. Liu, M. Zhang, and H. Li, "Decomposing the decoupling of energy-related
$CO_2$emissions and economic growth in Jiangsu Province," Energy for Sustainable Development, Vol. 17, No. 1, 2013, pp. 62-71. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.esd.2012.11.007
- Windmeijer, F., "A finite sample correction for the variance of linear efficient two-step GMM estimators," Journal of Econometrics, Vol. 126, No. 1, 2005, pp. 25-51. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jeconom.2004.02.005