- Volume 26 Issue 1
We study the effect of detrending on the coherency between two time series processes. Many economic and financial time series variables include nonstationary components; however, we analyze the two most popular cases of stochastic and deterministic trends. We analyze the asymptotic behavior of coherency under incorrect detrending, which includes the cases of first-differencing the deterministic trend process and, conversely, the time trend removal of the unit root process. A simulation study is performed to investigate the finite sample performance of the sample coherency due to incorrect detrending. Our work is expected to draw attention to the possible distortion of coherency when the series are incorrectly detrended. Further, our results can extend to various specification of trends in aggregate time series variables.
- Aadland D (2005). Detrending time-aggregated data, Economics Letters, 9, 287-293.
- Andrews DWK (1991). Heteroskedasticity and autocorrelation consistent covariance matrix estimation, Econometrica, 59, 817-858. https://doi.org/10.2307/2938229
- Ashley R and Verbrugge R (2006). Comments on "A critical investigation on detrending procedures for non-linear processes", Journal of Macroeconomics, 28, 192-194. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmacro.2005.10.014
- Breitung J (2002). Comments on "Nonparametric tests for unit roots and cointegration", Journal of Econometrics, 108, 343-363. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0304-4076(01)00139-7
- Canova F (1998). Detrending and business cycle facts, Journal of Macroeconomics, 41, 475-512.
- Croux C, Forni M, and Reichlin L (2001). A measure of comovement for economic variables: theory and empirics, Review of Economics and Statistics, 83, 232-241. https://doi.org/10.1162/00346530151143770
- Dagum E and Giannerini S (2006). A critical investigation on detrending procedures for non-linear processes, Journal of Macroeconomics, 28, 175-191. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmacro.2005.10.013
- Fleissig A and Strauss J (1999). Is OECD real per capita GDP trend or difference stationary? Evidence from panel unit root tests, Journal of Macroeconomics, 21, 673-690. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0164-0704(99)80001-9
- Harvey A and Jaeger A (1993). Detrending, stylized facts and the business cycle, Journal of Applied Econometrics, 8, 231-247. https://doi.org/10.1002/jae.3950080302
- Kwiatkowski D, Phillips PCB, Schmidt P, and Shin Y (1992). Testing the null of stationarity against the alternative of a unit root: how sure are we that economic time series have a unit root?, Journal of Econometrics, 54, 159-178. https://doi.org/10.1016/0304-4076(92)90104-Y
- Maynard A and Shimotsu K (2009). Covariance-based orthogonality tests for regressors with unknown persistence, Econometric Theory, 25, 63-116. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0266466608090038
- Murray C and Nelson C (2000). The uncertain trend in US GDP, Journal of Monetary Economics, 46, 79-95. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0304-3932(00)00018-0
- Nelson C and Kang H (1981). Spurious periodicity in inappropriate detrended time series, Econometrica, 49, 741-751. https://doi.org/10.2307/1911520
- Nelson C and Plosser C (1982). Trends and random walks in macroeconmic time series: some evidence and implications, Journal of Monetary Economics, 10, 139-162. https://doi.org/10.1016/0304-3932(82)90012-5
- Perron P and Wada T (2009). Let's take a break: trends and cycles in US real GDP, Journal of Monetary Economics, 56, 749-765. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmoneco.2009.08.001
- Phillips PCB and Solo V (1992). Asymptotics for linear processes, Annals of Statistics, 20, 971-1001. https://doi.org/10.1214/aos/1176348666
- Priestley MB (1981). Spectral Analysis and Time Series, Academic Press, New York.