- Volume 26 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Quantile confidence region using highest density
- Hong, Chong Sun (Department of Statistics, Sungkyunkwan University) ;
- Yoo, Myung Soo (Department of Statistics, Sungkyunkwan University)
- Received : 2018.09.03
- Accepted : 2018.12.11
- Published : 2019.01.31
Multivariate Confidence Region (MCR) cannot be used to obtain the confidence region of the mean vector of multivariate data when the normality assumption is not satisfied; however, the Quantile Confidence Region (QCR) could be used with a Multivariate Quantile Vector in these cases. The coverage rate of the QCR is better than MCR; however, it has a disadvantage because the QCR has a wide shape when the probability density function follows a bimodal form. In this study, we propose a Quantile Confidence Region using the Highest density (QCRHD) method with the Highest Density Region (HDR). The coverage rate of QCRHD was superior to MCR, but is found to be similar to QCR. The QCRHD is constructed as one region similar to QCR when the distance of the mean vector is close. When the distance of the mean vector is far, the QCR has one wide region, but the QCRHD has two smaller regions. Based on these features, it is found that the QCRHD can overcome the disadvantages of the QCR, which may have a wide shape.
- Asgharzadeh A and Abdi M (2011). Confidence intervals and joint confidence regions for the two-parameter exponential distribution based on records, Communications for Statistical Applications and Methods, 18, 103-110. https://doi.org/10.5351/CKSS.2011.18.1.103
- Chew V (1966). Confidence, prediction, and tolerance regions for the multivariate normal distribution, Journal of the American Statistical Association, 61, 605-617. https://doi.org/10.1080/01621459.1966.10480892
- Fan J and Zhang W (2000). Simultaneous confidence bands and hypothesis testing in varying-coefficient models, Scandinavian Journal of Statistics, 27, 715-731. https://doi.org/10.1111/1467-9469.00218
- Frank O (1996). Simultaneous confidence intervals, Scandinavian Actuarial Journal, 1996, 78-89.
- Hong CS and Kim HI (2017). Multivariate confidence region using quantile vectors, Communications for Statistical Applications and Methods, 24, 641-650. https://doi.org/10.29220/CSAM.2017.24.6.641
- Hong CS, Han SJ, and Lee GP (2016). Vector at risk and alternative value at risk, The Korean Journal of Applied Statistics, 29, 689-697. https://doi.org/10.5351/KJAS.2016.29.4.689
- Hyndman RJ (1996). Computing and graphing highest density regions, The American Statistician, 50, 120-126.
- Johnson RA and Wichern DW (2002). Applied Multivariate Statistical Analysis (5th ed), Prentice Hall, Upper Saddle River.
- Sun J and Loader CR (1994). Simultaneous confidence bands for linear regression and smoothing, The Annals of Statistics, 22, 1328-1345. https://doi.org/10.1214/aos/1176325631
- Tian L, Wang R, Cai T, and Wei L (2011). The highest confidence density region and its usage for joint inferences about constrained parameters, Biometrics, 67, 604-610. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1541-0420.2010.01486.x
- Turkkan N and Pham-Gia T (1997). Algorithm as 308: highest posterior density credible region and Minimum area, Journal of the Royal Statistical Society. Series C (Applied Statistics), 46, 131-140. https://doi.org/10.1111/1467-9876.00053