- Volume 29 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Effects of Muscle Relaxation Approach and Joint Movement Approach on Neck Movement and Comfort of Daily Living in Patients with Tension-type Headache of Forward Head Posture
근육 이완 접근과 관절 가동 접근이 긴장성 두통을 가진 두부 전방 전위 자세 환자의 목의 움직임 및 일상생활 편안함에 미치는 영향
Kim, In-Gyun;Lee, Sang-Yeol
- Received : 2018.11.15
- Accepted : 2018.12.29
- Published : 2019.01.31
Objectives The purpose of this study was to improve the comfort of daily life such as reduction of headache and increase of movement of neck by using muscle relaxation approach and joint movement approach for office worker with tension type headache of foward head posture sitting over 5 hours. Methods For this, 9 male and 15 female participated in the foward head posture with tension type headache. Each group consisted of 3 male and 5 female. Groups are divided into groups, such as muscle relaxation therapy, joint movement therapy, muscle relaxation and joint movement therapy. After intervention for each group for a month, we measured neck movement and head disability index and neck disability index 2 week. SPSS 23.0 (IBM Corp., Armonk, NY, USA) was used for data analysis. The one-way repeated analysis of variance (ANOVA), one-way ANOVA, compared t-test was used for statistical analysis. Results Three intervention groups have brought improvements in neck movement and daily life comfort. There is significant difference in the improvement of neck extension and change in neck disability index between 2 and 4 weeks in the joint movement approach compared to muscle relaxation approach, muscle relaxation and joint movement approach. Conclusions Office workers are exposed to tension type headache. However, muscle relaxation approach and joint movement approach can improve neck movement and daily life comfort.
Tension-type headache;Foward head posture;Myofascial release;Joint movement
- Stovner LJ, Hagen K, Jensen R, Katsarava Z, Lipton RB, Scher AI, Zwart JA. The global burden of headache: a documentation of headache prevalence and disability worldwide. Cephalalgia. 2007;27(3):193-210. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1468-2982.2007.01288.x
- Guilbert JJ. The World Health Report 2006: working together for health. Education for health (Abingdon, England). 2006;19(3):385. https://doi.org/10.1080/13576280600937911
- Silberstein SD, Lipton RB, Solomon S, Mathew NT. Classification of daily and near-daily headaches: proposed revisions to the IHS criteria. Headache. 1994;34(1):1-7.
- Headache Classification Committee of the International Headache Society. Classification and diagnostic criteria for headache disorders, cranial neuralgias and facial pain. Cephalalgia. 1988;8(7):1-96. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1468-2982.1988.0801001.x
- Melchart D, Linde K, Fischer P, White A, Allais G, Vickers A, Berman B. Acupuncture for recurrent headaches: a systematic review of randomized controlled trials. Cephalalgia. 1999;19(9):779-86. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1468-2982.1999.1909779.x
- Kim MJ, Lee KS, Kwak BM, Lee EK, Choi EH, Park YC, Hong KE. Clinical characteristic and roentgenographic finding of the cervical spine in chronic tension-type headache. The Journal of Korean Acupuncture and Moxibustion Society. 2009;26(2):59-70.
- Fernandez-de-las-Penas C, Alonso-Blanco C, Cuadrado ML, Gerwin RD, Pareja JA. Trigger points in the suboccipital muscles and forward head posture in tension-type headache. Headache. 2006;46(3):454-60. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1526-4610.2006.00288.x
- Good M, Stiller C, Zauszniewski JA, Anderson GC, Stanton-Hicks M, Grass JA. Sensation and distress of pain scales: reliability, validity, and sensitivity. J Nurs Meas. 2001;9(3):219-38. https://doi.org/10.1891/1061-3722.214.171.124
- van der Windt DA, Thomas E, Pope DP, de Winter AF, Macfarlane GJ, Bouter LM, Silman AJ. Occupational risk factors for shoulder pain: a systematic review. Occup Environ Med. 2000;57(7):433-42. https://doi.org/10.1136/oem.57.7.433
- Kim YS, Rhee KY, Jin JH, Kim JS. Study on the impact of use of technology on work environment and the health of workers. Journal of the Korean Society of Safety. 2014;29(5):146-53. https://doi.org/10.14346/JKOSOS.2014.29.5.146
- Fernandez-de-Las-Penas C, Cuadrado ML, Pareja JA. Myofascial trigger points, neck mobility, and forward head posture in episodic tension-type headache. Headache. 2007;47(5):662-72. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1526-4610.2006.00632.x
- Korea Occupational Safety and Health Agency. Labor Environment Survey 2016 [Internet] 2016 [cited 2018 Oct 24]. Available from: URL: http://kosis.kr/statHtml/statHtml.do?orgId=380&tblId=DT_380002_C002&vw_cd=MT_ZTITLE&list_id=380_38002_012&seqNo=&lang_mode=ko&language=kor&obj_var_id=&itm_id=&conn_path=MT_ZTITLE.
- Korea Occupational Safety and Health Agency. Labor Environment Survey 2014 [Internet] 2014 [cited 2018 Oct 24]. Available from: URL: http://kosis.kr/statHtml/statHtml.do?orgId=380&tblId=DT_380002_C002&vw_cd=MT_ZTITLE&list_id=380_38002_012&seqNo=&lang_mode=ko&language=kor&obj_var_id=&itm_id=&conn_path=MT_ZTITLE.
- Mekhora K, Liston CB, Nanthavanij S, Cole JH. The effect of ergonomic intervention on discomfort in computer users with tension neck syndrome. International Journal of Industrial Ergonomics. 2000;26(3):367-79. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0169-8141(00)00012-3
- Côté P, Cassidy JD, Carroll LJ, Kristman V. The annual incidence and course of neck pain in the general population: a population-based cohort study. Pain. 2004; 112(3):267-73. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pain.2004.09.004
- Lee HR, Shim JH, Oh DW. Effects of high-frequency diathermy integrated into suboccipital release on tenderness and neck mobility and disability in people with chronic tension-type headache. Physical Therapy Korea. 2007;24(2):37-47.
- Kim CK, Lee ES. The changes of in headache due to postural improvement in patients with tension headache with forward head posture. The Journal of Korean Society for Neurotherapy. 2016;20(3):27-32.
- Whittingham W, Nilsson N. Active range of motion in the cervical spine increases after spinal manipulation. Journal of Manipulative and Physiological Therapeutics. 2001;24(9):552-5. https://doi.org/10.1067/mmt.2001.118979
- Hoving JL, Koes BW, de Vet HC, van der Windt DA, Assendelft WJ, van Mameren H, Devillé WL, Pool JJ, Scholten RJ, Bouter LM. Manual therapy, physical therapy or continued care by a general practitioner for patients with neck pain. A randomized, controlled trial. Ann Intern Med. 2002;136(10):713-22. https://doi.org/10.7326/0003-4819-136-10-200205210-00006
- Park JH. A study on the PAS release therapy used by myofascial release. The Journal of Korean Society of Physical Therapy. 1999;11(3):107-13.
- Oh HJ, Hwang BJ, Choi YR. Effects of cervical joint mobilization on the forward head posture and neck disability indexes. Journal of the Korean Society of Radiology. 2014;8(2):89-96. https://doi.org/10.7742/jksr.2014.8.2.89
- Godges JJ, Mattson-Bell M, Thorpe D, Shah D. The immediate effects of soft tissue mobilization with proprioceptive neuromuscular facilitation on glenohumeral external rotation and overhead reach. Journal of Orthopaedic and Sports Physical Therapy. 2003;33(12):713-8. https://doi.org/10.2519/jospt.2003.33.12.713
- Lee HS, Yoo JH. The effects of stretching and isometric exercise for chronic neck pain patient in strength and pain. Journal of the Korean Society of Physical Medicine. 2012;7(3):329-37. https://doi.org/10.13066/kspm.2012.7.3.329
- Kim JS, Chae YW. The effect of involuntary muscle contraction due to forward head position in pressure pain threshold of pericranial muscle. The Journal of Korean Society of Physical Therapy. 2000;12(3):339-47.
- Fernandez-de-Las-Penas C, Alonso-Blanco C, Cuadrado ML, Gerwin RD, Pareja JA. Myofascial trigger points and their relationship to headache clinical parameters in chronic tension-type headache. Headache. 2006;46(8):1264-72. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1526-4610.2006.00440.x
- Headache Classification Committee of the International Headache Society. Classification and diagnostic criteria for headache disorders, cranial neuralgias and facial pain. Cephalalgia. 1988;8(7):10-41. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1468-2982.1991.tb00019.x
- Marcus M, Gerr F. Upper extremity musculoskeletal symptoms among female office workers: associations with video display terminal use and occupational psychosocial stressors. American Journal of Industrial Medicine. 1996;29(2):161-70. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-0274(199602)29:2<161::AID-AJIM6>3.0.CO;2-V
- Yun MH, Lee YG, Eoh HJ, Lim SH. Results of a survey on the awareness and severity assessment of upper-limb work-related musculoskeletal disorders among female bank tellers in Korea. International Journal of Industrial Ergonomics. 2001;27(5):347-57. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0169-8141(00)00062-7
- Kim EJ, Kim JW, Park BR. Effects of sling exercise program on muscle activity and cervical spine curvature of forward head posture. The Journal of the Korea Contents Association. 2001;11(11):213-20.
- Chae YW, Lee HM. The effect of craniocervical exercise on tension-type headache. The Journal of Korean Physical Therapy. 2009;21(4):9-16.
- Kim IG, Lee SY. The effect of forward head posture and tension type headache on neck movement: for office worker. Journal of Korean Physical Therapy. 2018;30(4):107-11.
- Martin-Herrero C, Rodrigues de Souza DP, Alburquerque-Sendin F, Ortega-Santiago R, Fernandez-de-Las-Penas C. Myofascial trigger points, pain, disability and quality of sleep in patients with chronic tension- type headache: a pilot study. Rev Neurol. 2012;55(4):193-9.
- Oguzhanogle A, Sahiner T, Kurt T, Akalin O. Use of amitriptyline and fluoxetine in prophylaxis of migraine and tension-type headaches. Cephalgia. 1999;19(5):531-2. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1468-2982.1999.019005531.x
- Kim HJ, Jang C, Bae SS. The effects of mobilization on neck pain. The Journal of Korean Society of Physical Therapy. 2003;15(3):679-91.
- Ajimsha MS. Effectiveness of direct vs indirect technique myofascial release in the management of tension-type headache. Journal of Bodywork and Movement Therapies. 2001;15(4):431-5.
- Monzani L, Espi-Lopez GV, Zurriaga R, Andersen LL. Manual therapy for tension-type headache related to quality of work life and work presenteeism: secondary analysis of a randomized controlled trial. Complement Ther Med. 2016;25:86-91. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ctim.2016.01.008
- Greenman PE. Principles of manual medicine. 3rd ed. Philadelphia:Lippincott Williams & Wilkins. 2003:50-68.
- Cho SH. The effect of myofascial release technique and forward head posture correction exerciseon chronic tension-type headache [dissertation]. Busan (KR):Catholic University of Pusan; 2014.
- Maitland GD, Hengeveld E, Banks K, English K. Maitland's vertebral manipulation. 7th ed. Churchill Livingston: Edinburgh. 2005:183.
- Park KL, Lee IH, Koo CH, Bae SS. The effect of joint mobilization therapy on pain recovery for patients with tension-type headache. The Journal of Korean Society of Physical Therapy. 2006;18(1);33-40.
- Jennum P, Jensen R. Sleep and headache. Sleep Medicine Reviews. 2002;6(6):471-9. https://doi.org/10.1053/smrv.2001.0223
- Finley MA, Lee RY. Effect of sitting posture on 3-dimensional scapular kinematics measured by skin-mounted electromagnetic tracking sensors. Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation. 2003;84(4):563-8. https://doi.org/10.1053/apmr.2003.50087
- Barnes JF. Myofascial release the missing link in traditional treatment. In: Hammer WI, ed. Functional soft tissue examination and treatment by manual methods. 2nd ed. Thorofare, SLACK Inc. 2004:59-81.
- Jeon HY, Jung HS, Bae SS. Effects of flexion-extension of stretching on craniocervical. The Korean Society of Physical Medicine. 2006;1(1):109-16.