- Volume 29 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Effect of Electroacupuncture on Both Side Acupuncture Point GB12 and GB20 for Chronic Tension Type Headache
만성 긴장성 두통에 대한 양측 완골과 풍지혈 전침 치료의 효과: 단일맹검 무작위 배정 대조군 파일럿 연구
Jeon, Jun-yung;Lee, Jong-soo
- Received : 2018.12.19
- Accepted : 2019.01.11
- Published : 2019.01.31
Objectives This study is designed to verify the effectiveness of electroacupuncture (EA) on both side acupuncture point GB12, GB20 for chronic tension type headache (CTTH). Methods Subjects aged 18-65 years who had suffered from CTTH for more than 3months were recruited from September 2016 to May 2017. Thirty subjects were voluntarily recruited and they were randomly divided into 2 groups; 15 to EA group, another 15 to sham-EA group. The treatment sessions were performed every 2-4 days for a total of three sessions over 1 week. The symptoms of headache were assessed before the treatment and after a week from the last treatment by visual analogue scale (VAS), headache frequency (HF), Korean Headache Impact Test-6 (KHIT-6). Demographic characteristics of all participants were compared between the groups upon using chi-square test. Wilcoxon signed rank test was used to evaluate the values between baseline and follow-up. Wilcoxon rank sum test was performed to evaluate the differences between groups. p-values less than 0.05 were considered as significant. Results Before and after the intervention, no difference in VAS and KHIT-6 was observed between groups. HF of EA group decreased significantly compared with that of sham-EA group. Within the EA group VAS, HF and KHIT-6 decreased significantly after the treatment. Meanwhile, only KHIT-6 decreased significantly after the treatment in sham-EA group. Conclusions This study suggests that EA on both side acupuncture point GB12 and GB20 is applicable to improve symptoms in patients with CTTH.
Electroacupuncture;Tension-type headache;Randomized controlled trial;Acupuncture point
- Stovner LJ, Hagen K, Jensen R, Katsarava Z, Lipton R, Scher A, Steiner T, Zwart JA. The global burden of headache: a documentation of headache prevalence and disability worldwide. Cephalalgia. 2007;27(3):193-210. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1468-2982.2007.01288.x
- Pfaffenrath V, Brune K, Diener HC, Gerber WD, Gobel H. Treatment of tension-type headache. Recommendation of German Migraine and Headache Society. Shmerz. 1998;12(2):156-70.
- McCrory DC, Penzien DB, Hasselblad V, Gray RN. Evidence Report: Behavioral and Physical Treatments for Tension-Type and Cervicogenic Headache. 1st ed. DesMoines:Foundation for Chiropractic Education and Research. 2001:2085.
- Hugh MP, Richard H, George L, Rosa S. Acupuncture Research: Strategies for Establishing an Evidence Base. 1st ed. London:Churchill Livingstone. 2007:195-8.
- Linde K, Allais G, Brinkhaus B, Fei Y, Mehring M, Shin BC, Vickers A, White AR. Acupuncture for the prevention of tension-type headache [Internet] 2016 [cited 2017 May 1]. Available from: URL: https://www.cochranelibrary.com/cdsr/doi/10.1002/14651858.CD007587.pub2/full.
- Burke A, Upchurch DM, Dye C, Chyu L. Acupuncture use in the United States: findings from the National Health Interview Study. Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine. 2006;12(7):639-48. https://doi.org/10.1089/acm.2006.12.639
- Korea Health Industry Development Institute. 2014 Research on the actual condition of Korean Traditional Medicine utilization and consumption. 1st ed. Seoul:Human Culture Arirang. 2014:568-714.
- Xue C, Dong L, Polus B, English R, Zheng Z, Da Costa C, Li C, Story D. Electroacupuncture for tension-type headache on distal acupoints only: a randomized, controlled, crossover trial. Headache. 2004;44(4):333-41. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1526-4610.2004.04077.x
- Kwon YJ, Lee DH, Lee UI, Park KM, Lee SH. Effects of fixed-intensity and varied-intensity electroacupuncture in pain and sensory threshold in patients with chronic tension headache. The Journal of Korean Acupuncture and Moxibustion Society. 2012;29(4):25-34.
- Chassot M, Dussan-Sarria J, Sehn F, Deitos A, de Souza A, Vercelino R, Torres I, Fregni F, Caumo W. Electroacupuncture analgesia is associated with increased serum brain-derived neurotrophic factor in chronic tension-type headache: a randomized, sham controlled, crossover trial. BMC Complement Altern Med. 2015;15:144. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12906-015-0664-x
- Headache Classification Committee of the International Headache Society. The International Classification of Headache Disorders, 3rd edition (beta version). Cephalagia. 2013;33(9):629-808. https://doi.org/10.1177/0333102413485658
- World Health Organization Regional Office for the Western Pacific. WHO Standard Acupuncture Point Locations in the Western Pacific Region. 1st ed. Manila: World Health Organization. 2008:110-24.
- Chu MK, Im HJ, Ju YS, Yu KH, Ma HI, Kim YJ, Kim JY, Lee BC. Validity and reliability assessment of Korean headache impact test-6 (HIT-6). J Korean Neurol Assoc. 2009;27(1):1-6.
- Kosinski M, Bayliss MS, Bjorner JB, Ware JE Jr, Garber WH, Batenhorst A, Cady R, Dahlof CG, Dowson A, Tepper S. A six-item short-form survey for measuring headache impact: the HIT-6. Qual Life Res. 2003;12(8):963-74. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1026119331193
- Julious SA. Sample size of 12 per group rule of thumb for a pilot study. Pharmaceut Statist. 2005;4(4):287-91. https://doi.org/10.1002/pst.185
- Johanson GA, Brooks GP. Initial scale development sample size for pilot studies. Educational and Psychological Measurement. 2010;70(3):394-400. https://doi.org/10.1177/0013164409355692
- Lyngberg AC, Rasmussen BK, Jorgensen T, Jensen R. Prognosis of migraine and tension-type headache: a population-based follow-up study. Neurology. 2005;65(4):580-5. https://doi.org/10.1212/01.wnl.0000172918.74999.8a
- Choe JR. Studies in muscle contraction headache. The Korean Journal of Pain. 1990;3(2):150-9.
- The Compilation Committee of Meridians and Acupoints textbook from school and graduate school of Korean Traditional Medicine. Practice Guidebook of Meridians and Acupoints. 1st ed. Seoul:Palm Tree Publishing Company. 2010:331-550.
- Kim BH, Kim K, Nam HJ. A comparative study on the effects of systemic manual acupuncture, periauricular electroacupuncture, and digital electroacupuncture to treat tinnitus: a randomized, paralleled, open-labeled exploratory trial. BMC Complement Altern Med. 2017;17(1):85. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12906-017-1589-3
- Leibing E, Leonhardt U, Koster G, Goerlitz A, Rosenfeldt JA, Hilgers R, Ramadori G. Acupuncture treatment of chronic low-back pain -- a randomized, blinded, placebo-controlled trial with 9-month follow up. Pain. 2002;96(1-2):189-96. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0304-3959(01)00444-4