- Volume 29 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Clinical Study on Child's Height Growth of Mixtures of Cynanchum wilfordii and Phlomis umbrosa Extract
백수오-한속단 추출 복합물의 어린이 키 성장에 관한 임상 연구
- Ha, Ki Chan (Healthcare Claims and Management Incorporated) ;
- Baek, Hyang Im (Healthcare Claims and Management Incorporated) ;
- Kim, Hye Mi (Healthcare Claims and Management Incorporated) ;
- Kim, Young Mi (Healthcare Claims and Management Incorporated) ;
- Jeong, Da Young (Healthcare Claims and Management Incorporated) ;
- Hong, Seong Je (Panaxan Corporation) ;
- Hong, Sang Keun (Panaxan Corporation) ;
- Choi, Chang Min (Department of Gynecology of Korean Medicine, College of Korean Medicine, Wonkwang University)
- 하기찬 (헬스케어크레임스엔드멘내지멘트) ;
- 백향임 (헬스케어크레임스엔드멘내지멘트) ;
- 김혜미 (헬스케어크레임스엔드멘내지멘트) ;
- 김영미 (헬스케어크레임스엔드멘내지멘트) ;
- 정다영 (헬스케어크레임스엔드멘내지멘트) ;
- 홍성제 (파낙산) ;
- 홍상근 (파낙산) ;
- 최창민 (원광대학교 한의과대학 부인과학교실)
- Received : 2018.12.21
- Accepted : 2019.01.08
- Published : 2019.01.31
Objectives Previous animal studies have shown that mixtures of Cynanchum wilfordii and Phlomis umbrosa extract (IPLUS-CWPU) increases femur length and insulin like growth factor-1 (IGF-1) secretion. IPLUS-CWPU may thus be a promising ingredient in functional foods aimed at growing child's height. The purpose of the study is to investigate the effect of IPLUS-CWPU on height growth in children with short stature. Methods For this purpose, we recruited 90 children aged 4 to 12 years who had heights ranging from the 5th to 25th percentiles of Korean children's growth curve and randomized to either the IPLUS-CWPU or the placebo group. Results The IPLUS-CWPU group showed a significant increase in the change of the height growth compared to the placebo group after 20 weeks of administration (p=0.02). The height growth velosity also showed a statistically significant difference in the test group compared to the placebo group at 10 weeks (p=0.04). The IGF-1 levels showed a tendency to increase in the IPLUS-CWPU group (p=0.08). Moreover, the IPLUS-CWPU significantly increased IGF-1/IGFBP-3 ratio (p=0.02). However, there were no significant differences in blood biochemical parameters including growth hormone, bone age, thyroid stimulating hormone, and osteocalcin levels. Conclusions In conclusion, the data of this trial indicate that IPLUS-CWPU is effective and safe, generally well-tolerated without severe adverse events, in the treatment of children with short stature over a 20 weeks period.
- Hong CU. Pediatrics. 11th ed. Seoul:Miraen. 2016:2-3, 10-12, 1011-2, 1203-4.
- Rona RJ, Chinn S. Genetic and environmental influences on growth. J Med Screen. 1995;2(3):133-9. https://doi.org/10.1177/096914139500200307
- Renard C, Ester WA. Genetic and Environmental Factors in Pre- and Postnatal Growth Disorders. 1st ed. Rotterdam: Legatron Electronic Publishing. 2009:9-200.
- Kuczmarski RJ, Ogden CL, Grummer-Strawn LM, Flegal KM, Guo SS, Wei R, Mei Z, Curtin LR, Roche AF, Johnson CL. CDC Growth Charts for the US. The National Center for Health Statistics. 2000;8(314):1-27.
- Kim JE, Baek JH. Effects of herbal medicine for growth of children: a retrospective study. J Pediatr Korean Med. 2016;30(4):87-98. https://doi.org/10.7778/jpkm.2016.30.4.087
- Park ES, Lee JY, Kim DG. A study for satisfaction and expectation of effect on the growth of children treated with herbal medicine. J Pediatr Korean Med. 2010;24(1):36-45.
- Yoon HJ, Lee JY, Kim DG. A study for the parent's recognition of the oriental medical treatment and the expectation of children's growth. J Pediatr Korean Med. 2011;25(1):119-27. https://doi.org/10.7778/jpkm.2011.25.1.119
- Huh K, Park MJ. Questionnaire-based analysis of growth-promoting attempts among children visiting a university growth clinic. Korean J Pediatr. 2009;52(5):576-80. https://doi.org/10.3345/kjp.2009.52.5.576
- Kong JC, Lee JH, Ko YS, Lee EG, NA C, Park DS, Song YS, Shin BC. The clinical observation on the growth of children treated with Korean herbal medicine, diet and exercise guidance. J Korean Med Rehabil. 2008;18(3):133-45.
- Yang DH, Park JK, Sung HK, Sung SH. Trend analysis of clinical studies published in the Journal of Pediatrics of Korean Medicine. J Pediatr Korean Med. 2018;32(4):141-62. https://doi.org/10.7778/JPKM.2018.32.4.141
- Oh SH. Pharmacology in Oriental Medicine. 1st ed. Seoul:Shinil Publishing Co. 2005:709-11.
- Lee DU, Shin US, Huh K. Inhibitory effects of gagaminine, a steroidal alkaloid from Cynanchum wilfordii on lipid peroxidation and aldehyde oxidase activity. Planta Nedica. 1996;62(6):485-7. https://doi.org/10.1055/s-2006-957953
Lee MK, Yeo HS, Kim JW, Markelonis GJ, Oh TH, Kim YC. Cynandione a from Cynanchum wilfordii protects cultured cortical neurons from toxicity induced by
$H_2O_2$, L-glutamate and kainate. J Neurosci Res. 2000;59(2):259-64. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-4547(20000115)59:2<259::AID-JNR12>3.0.CO;2-3
- Yoon DW, Cho SM, Kim SJ, Kim JH, Kim DS, Lee SH, Yun CH, Shin C. Effects of Cynanchum wilfordii hemsley extract on the sleep-wake architectures in rats. Sleep Med Res. 2011;2(1):16-20. https://doi.org/10.17241/smr.2011.2.1.16
- Kim SN, Li YC, Xu HD, Yi DG, Kim MS, Lee SP, Yi KT, Lee JK, Kim JS, Kwon MS, Chang PS, Kwak BY. Phytoestrogenic effects of combined plant extracts on the change of bone metabolism of OVX rats. Korean J Food Sci Technol. 2008;40(3):316-20.
- Shang X, Wang J, Li M, Miao X, Pan H, Yang Y, Wang Y. Antinociceptive and anti-inflammatory activities of Phlomis umbrosa Turcz extract. Fitoterapia. 2011;82(4):716-21. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fitote.2011.03.001
- Kim JY, Yang SY, Choi CY. The evaluation of the effect of herbal extract on osteoarthritis: in vitro and in vivo study. Prev Nutr Food Sci. 2016;21(4):310-6. https://doi.org/10.3746/pnf.2016.21.4.310
- Shin TY, Kim SH, Kim DK, Lee KH, Park JS. Phlomis umbrosa root inhibits mast cell dependent allergic reactions and inflammatory cytokine secretion. Phytother Res. 2008;22(2):153-8. https://doi.org/10.1002/ptr.2164
- Shin TY, Lee JK. Effect of Phlomis umbrosa root on mast cell dependent immediate-type allergic reactions by anal therapy. Immunopharm Immunot. 2003;25(1):73-85. https://doi.org/10.1081/IPH-120018285
- Wong RWK, Rabie ABM, Hagg EUO. The effect of crude extract from Radix dipsaci on bone in mice. Phytother Res. 2007;21(6):596-8. https://doi.org/10.1002/ptr.2126
- Lee YJ, Choi HI, Kim YC, Shin HS, You HK. Effects of dichloromethane fraction of Phlomidis radix on bone formation in human fetal osteoblasts. J Periodontol Implant Sci. 2003;33(2):259-69.
- Kang YK, Hong SK. Effects of Cynanchum wilfordii and Phlomis umbrosa extracts on bone growth and serum insulin like growth factor-I. Korean J Microbiol Biot. 2014;42(2):139-44. https://doi.org/10.4014/kjmb.1401.01001
- Han SH, Lee TH, Jang JY, Song HK, Hong SK, Kim YR, Han BS. Mixture of extracts of Cynanchum wilfordii and Phlomis umbrosa Turcz. Does not have an estrogenic effect in ovariectomized rats. Korean J Food Sci Technol. 2015;47(5):667-72. https://doi.org/10.9721/KJFST.2015.47.5.667
- Lee SB. Primary care manual. 1st ed. Seoul:Bareun Medical Institute. 2015:782-8.
- Bartke A. Growth hormone and aging: updated review. World J Mens Health. 2019;37(1):19-30. https://doi.org/10.5534/wjmh.180018
- Waters MJ, Shang CA, Behncken SN, Tam SP, Li H, Shen B, Lobie PE. Growth hormone as a cytokine. Clin Exp Pharmacol Physiol. 1999;26(10):760-4. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1440-1681.1999.03129.x