- Volume 33 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
PIV Measurements of Non-cavitating and Cavitating Flow in Wake of Two-dimensional Wedge-shaped Submerged Body
PIV를 이용한 2차원 쐐기형 몰수체 후류의 비공동 및 공동 유동장 계측
- Hong, Ji-Woo (Department of Naval Architecture and Ocean Engineering, Chungnam National University) ;
- Jeong, So-Won (Department of Naval Architecture and Ocean Engineering, Chungnam National University) ;
- Ahn, Byong-Kwon (Department of Naval Architecture and Ocean Engineering, Chungnam National University)
- Received : 2018.08.08
- Accepted : 2018.12.13
- Published : 2019.02.28
The vortex flow behind a bluff body has been a subject of interest for a very long time because of its engineering applicability such as to vortex induced vibration. In the near wake of a bluff body, vortices are periodically shed in two shear layers, which originate in the trailing edges. The far wake is made up of the classical Karman vortices, which are connected together by streamwise and spanwise vortices. These vortex formations have been studied in many experimental and numerical ways. However, most of the studies considered non-cavitating flow. In this study, we investigated cavitating flow in the wake of a two-dimensional wedge. Experiments were conducted in a cavitation tunnel of Chungnam National University. Using a particle image velocimetry (PIV), we measured the velocity fields under two different flow conditions: non-cavitating and cavitating regimes. We also investigated the vortex shedding frequencies using an absolute pressure transducer mounted on the top of the test window. Throughout the experiments, it was found that the shedding frequency of the vortex was strongly affected by cavitation, and the Strouhal number could exceed its value in the non-cavitating regime.
Particle image velocimetry;Wake flow;Cavitation;Vortex street
Supported by : 산업통상자원부
- Hyun, B.S., Choi, K.S., Doh, D.H., 2000. Quantitative Measurements of Complex Flow Field Around a Hydrofoil Using Particle Image Velocimetry. Journal of the Society Naval Architects of Korea, 37(3), 37-44.
- Jang, Y.I., Lee S.J., 2008. PIV Analysis of Near-wake behind a Sphere at a Subcritical Reynolds Number. Experiments in Fluids, 44(6), 905-914. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00348-007-0448-2
- Kim, J.H., Jeong, S.W., Ahn, B.K., Park, C.S., Kim, G.D., 2018. Numerical Analysis of Unsteady Cavitating Vortex around Two-dimensional Wedge-shaped Submerged Body. Journal of Ocean Engineering and Technology, 32(1), 36-42. http://dx.doi.org/10.26748/KSOE.2018.2.32.1.036 https://doi.org/10.26748/KSOE.2018.2.32.1.036
- Lee, J.Y., Paik, B.G., Lee, S.J., 2009. PIV Measurements of Hull Wake behind a Container Ship Model with Varying Loading Condition. Ocean Engineering, 36(5), 377-385. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.oceaneng.2009.01.006
- Park, G.S., Kwak, Y.K., 2004. Flow Survey around Two-Dimensional Circular Cylinder using PIV Technique. Journal of Ocean Engineering and Technology, 18(3), 1-7.
- Ro, K.D., Jang, D.H., Bae, H.S., Kim, W.C., 2001. The Visualization of the Flowfield around Three Circular Cylinders in the Tandem Arrangement by the PIV. Journal of the Korea Society of Marine Engineering, 35(2), 264-270. https://doi.org/10.5916/jkosme.2011.35.2.264
- Suh, S.B., Kwang, H.J., 2011. Calibration of Water Velocity Profile in Circular Water Channel Using Particle Image Velocimetry. Journal of Ocean Engineering and Technology, 25(4), 23-27. https://doi.org/10.5574/KSOE.2011.25.4.023