- Volume 33 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Study of the Prediction of Fatigue Damage Considering the Hydro-elastic Response of a Very Large Ore Carrier (VLOC)
유탄성 응답을 고려한 초대형 광탄 운반선(VLOC)의 피로 손상 예측 기법에 관한 연구
- Kim, Beom-Il (Ship and Offshore Technology Center, Korean Register of Shipping) ;
- Song, Kang-Hyun (Ship and Offshore Technology Center, Korean Register of Shipping)
- Received : 2018.11.06
- Accepted : 2019.02.22
- Published : 2019.02.28
Estimating fatigue damage is a very important issue in the design of ships. The springing and whipping response, which is the hydro-elastic response of the ship, can increase the fatigue damage of the ship. So, these phenomena should be considered in the design stage. However, the current studies on the the application of springing and whipping responses at the design stage are not sufficient. So, in this study, a prediction method was developed using fluid-structural interaction analysis to assess of the fatigue damage induced by springing and whipping. The stress transfer function (Stress RAO) was obtained by using the 3D FE model in the frequency domain, and the fatigue damage, including linear springing, was estimated by using the wide band damage model. We also used the 1D beam model to develop a method to estimate the fatigue damage, including nonlinear springing and whipping by the vertical bending moment in the short-term sea state. This method can be applied to structural members where fatigue strength is weak to vertical bending moments, such as longitudinal stiffeners. The methodology we developed was applied to 325K VLOC, and we analyzed the effect of the springing and whipping phenomena on the existing design.
Fatigue damage;Hydro-elasticity response;Design stage;Linear springing;Nonlinear springing;Whipping;VLOC
- Benasciutti, D., Tovo, R., 2005. Spectral Methods for Lifetime Prediction under Wide-band Stationary Random Processes. International Journal of Fatigue, 27(8), 867-877. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijfatigue.2004.10.007 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijfatigue.2004.10.007
- Bishop, R.E.D., Price, W.G., Zhang, X.C., 1985. A Note on the Dynamical Behavior of Uniform Beams Having Open Channel Section. Journal of Sound and Vibration, 99(2), 155-167. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-460X(85)90354-2 https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-460X(85)90354-2
- Choung, J.M., Kim, K.S., Nam, J.M., Koo, J.B., Kim, M.S., Shim, Y.L., Urm, H.S., 2012. Study on Applicability of Frequency Domain-Based Fatigue Analysis for Wide Band Gaussian Process II : Wide Band Prediction Models. Journal of the society of Naval Architects of Korea, 49(4), 359-366. https://doi.org/10.3744/SNAK.2012.49.4.359 https://doi.org/10.3744/SNAK.2012.49.4.359
- Khabakhpasheva, T.I., Kim, Y., Korobkin, A.A., 2014. Generalized Wagner Model of Water Impact by Numerical Conformal Mapping. Applied Ocean Research, 44, 29-38. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apor.2013.10.007 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apor.2013.10.007
- Kim, B.H., Choi, B.K., Park, J.S., Park, S.K., Ki, H.K., Kim Y.I., 2018. Full Scale Measurement Data Analysis of Large Container Carrier with Hydroelastic Response, Part I-identification of Modal Parameters. Journal of Society of Naval Architects of Korea, 55(1), 37-44. https://doi.org/10.3744/SNAK.2018.55.1.37 https://doi.org/10.3744/SNAK.2018.55.1.37
- Kim, J.H., Bang, J.S. Kim, Y., Kim, S.J., 2012. Analysis on the Hydroelasticity of Whole Ship Structure by Coupling Three-dimensional BEM and FEM. Journal of the Society of Naval Architects of Korea, 49(4), 312-326. https://doi.org/10.3744/SNAK.2012.49.4.312 https://doi.org/10.3744/SNAK.2012.49.4.312
- Kim, J.H., Kim, Y.H., 2014. Numerical Analysis on Springing and Whipping using Fully-coupled FSI Models. Ocean Engineering, 91, 28-50. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.oceaneng.2014.08.001 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.oceaneng.2014.08.001
- Kim, Y.H., Kim, Y.I., 2011. WISH-FLEX : Development of Prediction Method for Ship Structural Hydro-elasticity in Waves(Springing and Slamming-Whipping). Seoul National University Report.
- Kim, Y.I., Kim, K.H., Kim, Y.H., 2009. Analysis of Hydroelasticity of Floating Ship-like Structure in Time Domain using a Fully Coupled Hybrid BEM-FEM. Journal of Ship Research, 53(1), 31-47.
- Malenica, S., Senjanovic. I., Tomaservic S., Stumpf, E., 2007. Some Aspects of Hydroelastic Issue in the Design of Ultra Large Container Ships. Proceedings of 22nd International Workshop on Water Waves and Floating Bodies, Croatia, 133-136.
- Park, J.B., Kang, C.H., Kim, K.S., Choung, J.M., Yu, C.H., 2011. A Study on Frequency Domian Fatigue Damage Prediction Models for Wide-Banded Bimodal Stress Range Spectra. Journal of the Society of Naval Architects of Korea, 48(4), 299-307. https://doi.org/10.3744/SNAK.2011.48.4.299 https://doi.org/10.3744/SNAK.2011.48.4.299
- Remy, F., Molin, B., Ledoux, A., 2006. Experimental and Numerical Study of the Wave Response of a Flexible Barge. Proceedingds of Fourth International Conference on Hydroelasticity in Marine Technology, Wuxi China, 255-264.
- Storhaug, S., Moe, E., Portella, R., Neto, T., Alves, N., Park, S.G., Lee, D.K., Kim, Y.I., 2011. First Ocean Going Ships with Springing and Whipping Included in the Ship Design. Proceedings of the ASME 2011 30th International Conference on Ocean, Offshore and Artic Engineering, Rotterdam The Netherlands, OMAE2011-49366, 281-292. https://doi.org/10.1115/OMAE2011-49366
- Senjanovic, I., Tomaservic, S., Vladmir, N., 2009. An Advanced Theory of Thin-walled Girders with Application to Ship Vibrations. Marine Structure, 22(3), 387-437. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.marstruc.2009.03.004 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.marstruc.2009.03.004