- Volume 33 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Design Enhancement to Avoid Radar Mast Resonance in Large Ship using Design of Experiments
실험계획법을 이용한 대형 선박용 레이더 마스트의 공진회피 설계
- Park, Jun Hyeong (Daehan Shipbuilding Co. Ltd.) ;
- Lee, Daeyong (Structure Research Group, POSCO) ;
- Yang, Jung-Wook (Department of Naval Architecture and Ocean Engineering, Mokpo National University) ;
- Song, Chang Yong (Department of Naval Architecture and Ocean Engineering, Mokpo National University)
- Received : 2018.11.15
- Accepted : 2018.12.13
- Published : 2019.02.28
Recently, problems with excessive vibration of the radar masts of large bulk carriers and crude oil tankers have frequently been reported. This paper explores a design method to avoid the resonance of a radar mast installed on a large ship using various design of experiment (DOE) methods. A local vibration test was performed during an actual sea trial to determine the excitation sources of the vibration related to the resonant frequency of the radar mast. DOE methods such as the orthogonal array (OA) and Latin hypercube design (LHD) methods were used to analyze the Pareto effects on the radar mast vibration. In these DOE methods, the main vibration performances such as the natural frequency and weight of the radar mast were set as responses, while the shape and thickness of the main structural members of the radar mast were set as design factors. From the DOE-based Pareto effect results, we selected the significant structural members with the greatest influence on the vibration characteristics of the radar mast. Full factorial design (FFD) was applied to verify the Pareto effect results of the OA and LHD methods. The design of the main structural members of the radar mast to avoid resonance was reviewed, and a normal mode analysis was performed for each design using the finite element method. Based on the results of this normal mode analysis, we selected a design case that could avoid the resonance from the major excitation sources. In addition, a modal test was performed on the determined design to verify the normal mode analysis results.
Radar mast;Resonance avoidance;Design of experiments;Normal mode analysis;Sea trial test
Supported by : 한국산업기술진흥원(KIAT)
- American Bureau of Shipping(ABS), 2006. Guidance Notes on Ship Vibration. ABS, New York.
- Campbell, W., 1924. The Protection of Steam Turbine Disk Wheels from Axial Vibration. Transactions of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers, 46(1920), 31-160.
- Choung, J., Min, D.K., 2011. Study on Effective Arrangement of Main Engine Top-Bracing. Journal of the Society of Naval Architects of Korea, 48(4), 289-298. https://doi.org/10.3744/SNAK.2011.48.4.289 https://doi.org/10.3744/SNAK.2011.48.4.289
- Det Norske Veritas(DNV), 2011. Rules for Classification of Ships - Vibration Class. DNV, Oslo.
- International Organization for Standardization(ISO), 2016. ISO 20283-5:2016 Mechanical vibration - Measurement of Vibration on Ships. Geneva.
- Kim, J.S., Kim, T.U., Lee, I.O., Lee, D.C., 2011, An Investigation on the Assessment Method of Ship's Vibration Concerning Habitability(ISO6954:2000). Proceedings of Korean Society for Noise and Vibration Engineering Conference, 772-778.
- Kim, U.K., Kim, H.J., Kim, Y.G., 2014. Vibration Control of Ship Main Engine and Outfitting System using Elastic Mount. Journal of Korean Society for Noise and Vibration Engineering, 24(3), 19-26.
- Kong, Y.M., Choi, S.H., Song, J.D., Yang, B.S., 2005. Optimum Design for Vibration Reduction of Compass Deck Structure in Ship. Journal of the Society of Naval Architects of Korea, 42(3), 249-258. https://doi.org/10.3744/SNAK.2005.42.3.249 https://doi.org/10.3744/SNAK.2005.42.3.249
- Korean Register of Shipping(KR), 2014. Control of Ship Vibration and Noise. KR, Seoul.
- Lee, M.S., Kim, Y.G., Hwang, S.J., Lee, D.C., Kim, U.K., 2014. A Study on Vibration Control of the Engine Body for a Large Scale Diesel Engine using the Semi-active Controlled Hydraulic Type of Top Bracing. Journal of the Korean Society of Marine Engineering, 38(6), 632-638. https://doi.org/10.5916/jkosme.2014.38.6.632 https://doi.org/10.5916/jkosme.2014.38.6.632
- Lloyd's Register(LR), 2015. Guidance Notes - General Overview of Ship Structural Vibration Problems. LR, London.
- Park, S.C., Park, K.I., Kim, J.R., 2016. Use of Dynamic Absorber for Reduction of Shaft Vibration in Diesel Engines of Ship. Journal of the Korean Society of Marine Engineering, 40(9), 743-748. https://doi.org/jkosme.2016.40.9.743 https://doi.org/10.5916/jkosme.2016.40.9.743
- Park, S.H., 2012. Design of Experiments. Minyoung Publishing Co., Seoul.