- Volume 32 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Enteric methane emissions, energy partitioning, and energetic efficiency of zebu beef cattle fed total mixed ration silage
- Subepang, Sayan (Department of Animal Science, Faculty of Agriculture, Khon Kaen University) ;
- Suzuki, Tomoyuki (Japan International Research Center for Agricultural Science) ;
- Phonbumrung, Thamrongsak (Bureau of Animal Nutrition Development, Department of Livestock Development) ;
- Sommart, Kritapon (Department of Animal Science, Faculty of Agriculture, Khon Kaen University)
- Received : 2018.06.05
- Accepted : 2018.09.03
- Published : 2019.04.01
Objective: The main objective of this study was to evaluate the effect of different feeding levels of a total mixed ration silage-based diet on feed intake, total tract digestion, enteric methane emissions, and energy partitioning in two beef cattle genotypes. Methods: Six mature bulls (three Thai natives, and three Thai natives - Charolais crossbreeds) were assigned in a replicated
Digestibility;Energy Balance;Greenhouse Gas;Zebu;Ruminants
- Gerber PJ, Hristov AN, Henderson B, et al. Technical options for the mitigation of direct methane and nitrous oxide emissions from livestock: a review. Animal 2013;7(Suppl 2):220-34. https://doi.org/10.1017/S1751731113000876
- Chaokaur A, Nishida T, Phaowphaisal I, Sommart K. Effects of feeding level on methane emissions and energy utilization of Brahman cattle in the tropics. Agric Ecosyst Environ 2015;199:225-30. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.agee.2014.09.014
- Ogino A, Sommart K, Subepang S, et al. Environmental impacts of extensive and intensive beef production systems in Thailand evaluated by life cycle assessment. J Clean Prod 2016;112:22-31. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2015.08.110
- Agricultural Research Council (ARC). The nutrient requirements of ruminant livestock. Technical Review by an Agricultural Research Council Working Party, Commonwealth Agricultural Bureau, Farnham Royal. UK Press; 1980.
- National Research Council (NRC). Subcommittee on beef cattle nutrition. Nutrient requirements of beef cattle. 7th rev. ed. Washington, DC, USA: National Academy Press; 2000.
- The Working Committee of Thai Feeding Standard for Ruminant (WTSR). Nutrient requirement of beef cattle in Indochinese Peninsula. Khon Kaen, Thailand: Klungnanavitthaya Press; 2010.
- Tangjitwattanachai N, Phaowphaisal I, Otsuka M, Sommart K. Enteric methane emission, energetic efficiency and energy requirements for the maintenance of beef cattle in the tropics. Jpn Agric Res Q 2015;49:399-407. https://doi.org/10.6090/jarq.49.399
- Schneider BH, Flatt WP. The evaluation of feeds through digestibility experiments. Athens, GA, USA: University of Georgia Press; 1975.
- Suzuki T, Phaowphaisal I, Pholsen P, et al. In vivo nutritive value of pangola grass (Digitaria eriantha) hay by a novel indirect calorimeter with a ventilated hood in Thailand. Jpn Agric Res Q 2008;42:123-9. https://doi.org/10.6090/jarq.42.123
- Kongphitee K, Sommart K, Phonbumrung T, Gunha T, Suzuki T. Feed intake, digestibility and energy partitioning in beef cattle fed diets with cassava pulp instead of rice straw. Asian-Australas J Anim Sci 2018;31:1431-41. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.17.0759
- Cao Y, Takahashi T, Horiguchi K, Yoshida N, Zhou D. In vitro ruminal dry matter digestibility and methane production of fermented total mixed ration containing whole-crop rice and rice bran. Grassl Sci 2012;58:133-9. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1744-697X.2012.00254.x
- Fawcett JK, Scott Je. A rapid and precise method for the determination of urea. J Clin Pathol 1960;13:156-9. https://doi.org/10.1136/jcp.13.2.156
- Porter MG, Murray RS. The volatility of components of grass silage on oven drying and the inter-relationship between drymatter content estimated by different analytical methods. Grass Forage Sci 2001;56:405-11. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2494.2001.00292.x
- Association of Official Agricultural Chemists (AOAC). Official methods of analysis of the AOAC International. 16th ed. Washington, MD, USA: AOAC International; 1995.
- Van Soest PJ, Robertson JB, Lewis BA. Methods for dietary fiber, neutral detergent fiber, and nonstarch polysaccharides in relation to animal nutrition. J Dairy Sci 1991;74:3583-97. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(91)78551-2
- Statistical Analysis Systems Institute (SAS). Version 9.1. Cary, NC, USA: SAS Institute Inc.; 2008.
- Steel RGD, Torrie JH. Principles and Procedures of Statistics. NY USA: McGraw Hill Book Co.; 1980. 633 p.
- Cardenas-Medina JV, Ku-Vera JC, Magana-Monforte JG. Estimation of metabolizable energy requirements for maintenance and energetic efficiency of weight gain in Bos taurus and Bos indicus cows in tropical Mexico. J Anim Vet Adv 2010;9:521-8.
- Ferrell CL, Jenkins TG, Freetly HC. Feed utilization and performance of crossbred tropically adapted cattle. In: Morrison DG, editor. A compilation of research results involving tropically adapted beef cattle breeds. Baton Rouge, LA, USA: Tropically Adapted Breeds - Regional Project S-1013; 2005. p. 131-47.
- VandeHaar MJ, Armentano LE, Weigel K, et al. Harnessing the genetics of the modern dairy cow to continue improvements in feed efficiency. J Dairy Sci 2016;99:4941-54. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2015-10352
- Kaewpila C, Sommart K, Mitsumori M. Dietary fat sources affect feed intake, digestibility, rumen microbial populations, energy partition and methane emissions in different beef cattle genotypes. Animal 2018;12:2529-38. https://doi.org/10.1017/S1751731118000587
- Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC). IPCC Guidelines for National Greenhouse Gas Inventories. Hayama, Japan: Institute for Global Environmental Strategies (IGES); 2006.
- Chuntrakort P, Otsuka M, Hayashi K, et al. The effect of dietary coconut kernels, whole cottonseeds and sunflower seeds on the intake, digestibility and enteric methane emissions of Zebu beef cattle fed rice straw based diets. Livest Sci 2014;161:80-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.livsci.2014.01.003
- Kongphitee K, Udchachon S, Otsuka M, Sommart K. Energetic efficiency of Thai native beef cattle fed rice straw or Ruzi straw base diet. Khon Kaen Agric J 2010;38(Suppl):176-9.
- The Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO). Nutrient requirements of domesticated ruminants. Collingwood, Victoria, Australia: CSIRO Publishing; 2007.
- Solis JC, Byers FM, Schelling GT, Long CR, Greene LW. Maintenance requirements and energetic efficiency of cows of different breed types. J Anim Sci 1988;66:764-73. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1988.663764x
- Garrett WN. Factors influencing energetic efficiency of beef production. J Anim Sci 1980;51:1434-40. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1981.5161434x
- Tangjitwattanachai N, Otsuka M, Oshio S, Sommart K. Efficiency of metabolizable energy for maintenance and growth of Bos indicus and Bos taurus beef cattle: a meta-analysis. JIRCAS Work Rep 2009. pp. 40-4.
- Kaewpila C. Energy utilization and enteric methane emission assessment in beef cattle fed on selected tropical feeds [dissertation]. Khon Kaen, Thailand: Khon Kaen University; 2016.