- Volume 32 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Effects of ambient temperature and rumen-protected fat supplementation on growth performance, rumen fermentation and blood parameters during cold season in Korean cattle steers
- Kang, Hyeok Joong (Department of Agricultural Biotechnology and Research Institute of Agriculture and Life Sciences, College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, Seoul National University) ;
- Piao, Min Yu (Department of Agricultural Biotechnology and Research Institute of Agriculture and Life Sciences, College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, Seoul National University) ;
- Park, Seung Ju (Department of Agricultural Biotechnology and Research Institute of Agriculture and Life Sciences, College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, Seoul National University) ;
- Na, Sang Weon (Department of Agricultural Biotechnology and Research Institute of Agriculture and Life Sciences, College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, Seoul National University) ;
- Kim, Hyun Jin (Department of Agricultural Biotechnology and Research Institute of Agriculture and Life Sciences, College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, Seoul National University) ;
- Baik, Myunggi (Department of Agricultural Biotechnology and Research Institute of Agriculture and Life Sciences, College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, Seoul National University)
- Received : 2018.08.17
- Accepted : 2018.11.07
- Published : 2019.05.01
Objective: This study was performed to evaluate whether cold ambient temperature and dietary rumen-protected fat (RPF) supplementation affect growth performance, rumen fermentation, and blood parameters in Korean cattle steers. Methods: Twenty Korean cattle steers (body weight [BW],
Ambient Temperature;Beef Cattle;Blood Metabolites;Cold Stress;Growth;Rumen-protected Fat
Supported by : Korea Institute of Planning and Evaluation for Technology in Food, Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries (IPET)
- Ames DR, Brink DR, Willms CL. Adjusting protein in feedlot diets during thermal stress. J Anim Sci 1980;50:1-6. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1980.5011
- Gulliksen SM, Lie KI, Loken T, Osteras O. Calf mortality in Norwegian dairy herds. J Dairy Sci 2009;92:2782-95. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2008-1807
- Mader TL. Environmental stress in confined beef cattle. J Anim Sci 2003;81:E110-9.
- Broucek J, Letkovicova M, Kovalcuj K. Estimation of cold stress effect on dairy cows. Int J Biometeorol 1991;35:29-32. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01040960
- Young BA. Cold stress as it affects animal production. J Anim Sci 1981;52:154-63. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1981.521154x
- Kennedy PM, Christopherson RJ, Milligan LP. The effect of cold exposure of sheep on digestion, rumen turnover time and efficiency of microbial synthesis. Br J Nutr 1976;36:231-42. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0007114500020225
- NRC. Effect of environment on nutrient requirements of domestic animals. Washington, DC, USA: National Academy Press;1981.
- Christopherson RJ, Kennedy PM. Effect of the thermal environment on digestion in ruminants. Can J Anim Sci 1983;63:477-96. https://doi.org/10.4141/cjas83-058
- Hess BW, Moss GE, Rule DC. A decade of developments in the area of fat supplementation research with beef cattle and sheep. J Anim Sci 2008;86:E188-204 https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2007-0546
- NRC. Nutrient requirements of dairy cattle. 8th rev ed. Washington, DC, USA: National Academy Press; 2007.
- Kronfeld DS, Donoghue S, Naylor JM, Johnson K, Bradley CA. Metabolic effects of feeding protected tallow to dairy cows. J Dairy Sci 1980;63:545-52. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(80)82970-5
- McNamara S, Butler T, Ryan DP, et al. Effect of offering rumen-protected fat supplements on fertility and performance in spring-calving Holstein-Friesian cows. Anim Reprod Sci 2003;79:45-56. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0378-4320(03)00111-8
- Hill GM, West JW. Rumen protected fat in Kline barley or corn diets for beef cattle: digestibility, physiological, and feedlot responses. J Anim Sci 1991;69:3376-88. https://doi.org/10.2527/1991.6983376x
- Naik PK. Bypass fat in dairy ration-a review. Anim Nutr Feed Techol 2013;13:147-63.
- AOAC. Official methods of analysis. 15th ed. Association of Official Analytical Chemists, Washington, DC, USA: AOAC International; 1996. p. 210-9.
- Van Soest PJ, Robertson JB, Lewis BA. Methods for dietary fiber, neutral detergent fiber, and nonstarch polysaccharides in relation to animal nutrition. J Dairy Sci 1991;74:3583-97. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(91)78551-2
- Shen JS, Chai Z, Song LJ, Liu ZX, Wu YM. Insertion depth of oral stomach tubes may affect the fermentation parameters of ruminal fluid collected in dairy cows. J Dairy Sci 2012;95:5978-84. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2012-5499
- Chaney AL, Marbach EP. Modified reagents for determination of urea and ammonia. Clin Chem 1962;8:130-2.
- Kang HJ, Lee IK, Baik M, et al. Effects of ambient temperature on growth performance, blood metabolites, and immune cell populations in Korean cattle steers. Asian-Australas J Anim Sci 2016;29:436-43. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.15.0937
- Grzych M. Webinar Portal for Forestry and Natural Resources [Internet]. c2010 [Accessed Jun 26, 2014]. Cattle Stress Index Description. Available from: http://www.forestrywebinars.net/webinars/planning-and-design-of-livestock-watering-systems/
- Park SJ, Beak SH, Jung JDS, et al. Genetic, management, and nutritional factors affecting intramuscular fat deposition in beef cattle-a review. Asian-Australas J Anim Sci 2018;31:1043-61. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.18.0310
- Kennedy PN, Christopherson RJ, Milligan LP. Effects of cold exposure on feed protein degradation, microbial protein synthesis and transfer of plasma urea to the rumen of sheep. Br J Nutr 1982;47:521-35. https://doi.org/10.1079/BJN19820064
- Kennedy PM, Milligan LP. Effects of cold exposure on digestion, microbial synthesis and nitrogen transformations in sheep. Br J Nutr 1978;39:105-17. https://doi.org/10.1079/BJN19780017
- Bines JA, Brumby PE, Storry JE, Fulford RJ, Braithwaite GD. The effect of protected lipids on nutrient intakes, blood and rumen metabolites and milk secretion in dairy cows during early lactation. J Agric Sci Camb 1978;91:135-50. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0021859600056690
- Khan MA, Dickson WM, Meyers KM. The effect of low environmental temperature on plasma corticosteroid and glucose concentrations in the newborn calf. J Endocrinol 1970;48:355-63. https://doi.org/10.1677/joe.0.0480355
- Pollard TM. Use of cortisol as a stress marker: practical and theoretical problems. Am J Hum Biol 1995;7:265-74. https://doi.org/10.1002/ajhb.1310070217
- Young BA. Temperature-induced changes in metabolism and body weight of cattle (Bos taurus). Can J Physiol Pharmacol 1975;53:947-53. https://doi.org/10.1139/y75-129
- Haman F, Peronnet F, Kenny GP, et al. Effect of cold exposure on fuel utilization in humans: plasma glucose, muscle glycogen, and lipids. J Appl Physiol 2002;93:77-84. https://doi.org/10.1152/japplphysiol.00773.2001
- Lake SL, Scholljegerdes EJ, Atkinson RL, et al. Body condition score at parturition and postpartum supplemental fat effects on cow and calf performance. J Anim Sci 2005;83:2908-17. https://doi.org/10.2527/2005.83122908x
- Ghasemi E, Azad-Shahraki M, Khorvash M. Effect of different fat supplements on performance of dairy calves during cold season. J Dairy Sci 2017;100:5319-28. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2016-11827
- Lee H-J, Lee SC, Oh YG, et al. Effects of rumen protected oleic acid in the diet on animal performances, carcass quality and fatty acid composition of Hanwoo steers. Asian-Australas J Anim Sci 2003;16:1003-10. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2003.1003
- Duske K, Hammon HM, Langhof AK, et al. Metabolism and lactation performance in dairy cows fed a diet containing rumenprotected fat during the last twelve weeks of gestation. J Dairy Sci 2009;92:1670-84. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2008-1543
- Payne JM, Rowlands GJ, Manston R, Dew SM, Parker WH. A statistical appraisal of the results of the metabolic profile tests on 191 herds in the B.V.A.-A.D.A.S joint exercise in animal health and productivity. Br Vet J 1974;130:34-44. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0007-1935(17)35988-2
- Ebel H, Gunther T. Magnesium metabolism: a review. J Clin Chem Clin Biochem 1980;18:257-70.
- Christopherson RJ, Gonyou HW, Thompson JR. Effects of temperature and feed intake on plasma concentration of thyroid hormones in beef cattle. Can J Anim Sci 1979;59:655-61. https://doi.org/10.4141/cjas79-085