- Volume 32 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Fermentation characteristics, chemical composition and microbial community of tropical forage silage under different temperatures
- Li, Dongxia (College of Animal Science and Technology, China Agricultural University) ;
- Ni, Kuikui (College of Animal Science and Technology, China Agricultural University) ;
- Zhang, Yingchao (College of Animal Science and Technology, China Agricultural University) ;
- Lin, Yanli (Beijing Sure Academy of Biosciences) ;
- Yang, Fuyu (College of Animal Science and Technology, China Agricultural University)
- Received : 2018.01.24
- Accepted : 2018.06.26
- Published : 2019.05.01
Objective: In tropical regions, as in temperate regions where seasonality of forage production occurs, well-preserved forage is necessary for animal production during periods of forage shortage. However, the unique climate conditions (hot and humid) and forage characteristics (high moisture content and low soluble carbohydrate) in the tropics make forage preservation more difficult. The current study used natural ensiling of tropical forage as a model to evaluate silage characteristics under different temperatures (
Bacterial Diversity;Fermentation;Silage;Tropical Forage
- Panditharatne S, Allen VG, Fontenot JP, Jayasuriya MCN. Ensiling characteristics of tropical grasses as influenced by stage of growth, additives and chopping length. J Anim Sci 1986;63:197-207. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1986.631197x
- McDonald P, Henderson AR, Heron SJE. The biochemistry of silage. Marlow Bottom, UK: Chalcombe Publications; 1991.
- Bayorbor TB, Kumai S, Fukumi R, Hattori I. Fermentation quality and feeding value of panic grasses and rhodesgrass silages. J Jpn Soc Grassl Sci 1993;39:334-42.
- Kim KH, Uchida S. Comparative studies of ensiling characteristics between temperate and tropical species: 2. Mechanical pretreatments and changes in water soluble carbohydrate fractions during ensilage. J Jpn Soc Grassl Sci 1991;36:426-33.
- Weinberg ZG, Szakacs G, Ashbell G, Hen Y. The effect of temperature on the ensiling process of corn and wheat. J Appl Microbiol 2001;90:561-6. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2672.2001.01276.x
- Ashbell G, Weinberg ZG, Hen Y, Filya I. The effects of temperature on the aerobic stability of wheat and corn silages. J Ind Microbiol Biotechnol 2002;28:261-3. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.jim.7000237
- Wang C, Nishino N. Effects of storage temperature and ensiling period on fermentation products, aerobic stability and microbial communities of total mixed ration silage. J Appl Microbiol 2013;114:1687-95. https://doi.org/10.1111/jam.12200
- Broderick GA, Kang JH. Automated simultaneous determination of ammonia and total amino-acids in ruminal fluid and in vitro media. J Dairy Sci 1980;63:64-75. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(80)82888-8
- Latimer GW. AOAC International. Official methods of analysis of AOAC International. 19th ed. Gaithersburg, MD, USA:AOAC International; 2012.
- Van Soest PJ, Robertsom JB, Lewis BA. Methods for dietary fiber, neutral detergent fiber and nonstarch polysaccharides in relation to animal nutrition. J Dairy Sci 1991;74:3583-97. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(91)78551-2
- Murphy RP. A method for the extraction of plant samples and the determination of total soluble carbohydrates. J Sci Food Agric 1958;9:714-7. https://doi.org/10.1002/jsfa.2740091104
- Ni K, Minh TT, Tu TT, et al. Comparative microbiota assessment of wilted Italian ryegrass, whole crop corn, and wilted alfalfa silage using denaturing gradient gel electrophoresis and next-generation sequencing. Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 2017;101:1385-94. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00253-016-7900-2
- Zheng M, Niu D, Jiang D, Zuo S, Xu C. Dynamics of microbial community during ensiling direct-cut alfalfa with and without LAB inoculant and sugar. J Appl Microbiol 2017;122:1456-70. https://doi.org/10.1111/jam.13456
- Li L, Sun Y, Yuan Z, et al. Effect of microalgae supplementation on the silage quality and anaerobic digestion performance of Manyflower silvergrass. Bioresour Technol 2015;189:334-40. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biortech.2015.04.029
- Parvin S, Nishino N. Bacterial community associated with ensilage process of wilted guinea grass. J Appl Microbiol 2009;107:2029-36. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2672.2009.04391.x
- Yu Z, Naoki N, Guo XS. Chemical changes during ensilage and in sacco degradation of two tropical grasses: rhodesgrass and guineagrass treated with cell wall-degrading enzymes. Asian-Australas J Anim Sci 2011;24:214-21.
- Nishino N, Li Y, Wang C, Parvin S. Effects of wilting and molasses addition on fermentation and bacterial community in guinea grass silage. Lett Appl Microbiol 2012;54:175-81. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1472-765X.2011.03191.x
- Kim SC, Adesogan AT. Influence of ensiling temperature, simulated rainfall, and delayed sealing on fermentation characteristics and aerobic stability of corn silage. J Dairy Sci 2006;89:3122-32. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(06)72586-3
- Liu Q, Zhang J, Shi S, Sun Q. The effects of wilting and storage temperature on the fermentation quality and aerobic stability of stylo silage. Anim Sci J 2011;82:549-53. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1740-0929.2011.00873.x
- Danner H, Holzer M, Mayrhuber E, Braun R. Acetic acid increases stability of silage under aerobic conditions. Appl Environ Microbiol 2003;69:562-7. https://doi.org/10.1128/AEM.69.1.562-567.2003
- Li M, Zi X, Zhou H, Hou G, Cai Y. Effects of sucrose, glucose, molasses and cellulase on fermentation quality and in vitro gas production of king grass silage. Anim Feed Sci Technol 2014;197:206-12. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anifeedsci.2014.06.016
- Nishino N, Touno E. Ensiling characteristics and aerobic stability of direct-cut and wilted grass silages inoculated with Lactobacillus casei, or Lactobacillus buchneri. J Sci Food Agric 2005;85:1882-8. https://doi.org/10.1002/jsfa.2189
- Silva VP, Pereira OG, Leandro ES, et al. Effects of lactic acid bacteria with bacteriocinogenic potential on the fermentation profile and chemical composition of alfalfa silage in tropical conditions. J Dairy Sci 2016;99:1895-902. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2015-9792
- Santos AO, Avila CLS, Pinto JC, et al. Fermentative profile and bacterial diversity of corn silages inoculated with new tropical lactic acid bacteria. J Appl Microbiol 2015;120:266-79.
- Pereira OG, Rocha KD, Ferreira CLLF. Chemical composition, characterization, and population of microorganisms on elephantgrass “Cameroon” (Pennisetum purpureum, Schum) and its silages. Rev Bras Zootec 2007;36:1742-50. https://doi.org/10.1590/S1516-35982007000800006
- Garcia AD, Olson WG, Otterby DE, Linn JG, Hansen WP. Effects of temperature, moisture, and aeration on fermentation of alfalfa silage. J Dairy Sci 1989;72:93-103. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(89)79084-6
- Rooke JA, Hatfield RD. Biochemistry of ensiling. In: Buxton DR, Muck RE and Harrison JH, editors. Silage Science and Technology, American Society of Agronomy. Madison, WI, USA: ASA-CSSA-SSSA; 2003. p. 95-139.
- Ostling C, Lindgren S. Influences of enterobacteria on the fermentation and aerobic stability of grass silages. Grass Forage Sci 1995;50:41-7. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2494.1995.tb02292.x
- Grill JP, Crociani J, Ballongue J. Characterization of fructose 6 phosphate phosphoketolases purified from Bifidobacterium species. Curr Microbiol 1995;31:49-54. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00294634
- Zheng ML, Niu DZ, Jiang D, Zuo SS, Xu CC. Dynamics of microbial community during ensiling direct-cut alfalfa with and without lab inoculant and sugar. J Appl Microbiol 2017;122:1456-70. https://doi.org/10.1111/jam.13456
- Eikmeyer FG, Kofinger P, Poschenel A, et al. Metagenome analyses reveal the influence of the inoculant Lactobacillus buchneri CD034 on the microbial community involved in grass ensiling. J Biotechnol 2013;167:334-43. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbiotec.2013.07.021
- Romero JJ, Zhao Y, Balseca-Paredes MA, et al. Laboratory silo type and inoculation effects on nutritional composition, fermentation, and bacterial and fungal communities of oat silage. J Dairy Sci 2017;100:1812-28. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2016-11642
- Ni K, Wang F, Zhu B, et al. Effects of lactic acid bacteria and molasses additives on the microbial community and fermentation quality of soybean silage. Bioresour Technol 2017;238:706-15. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biortech.2017.04.055
- Muck RE, Moser LE, Pitt RE. Postharvest factors affecting ensiling. In: Buxton DR, Muck RE, Harrison JH, editros. Silage Science and Technology, Agronomy Monograph No. 42, ed. Madison, WI, USA: ASA-CSSA-SSSA; 2003. p. 251-304.
- Singh AP, Samanta AK, Misra AK, Upadhyay VS. Effect of wilting on silage quality of tropical grasses harvested at different intervals. Indian J Anim Sci 1999;69:727-9.