- Volume 32 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Effect of different short-term high ambient temperature on chicken meat quality and ultra-structure
- Zhang, Minghao (Laboratory of Meat Processing and Quality Control, College of Food Science and Engineering, Shandong Agricultural University) ;
- Zhu, Lixian (Laboratory of Meat Processing and Quality Control, College of Food Science and Engineering, Shandong Agricultural University) ;
- Zhang, Yimin (Laboratory of Meat Processing and Quality Control, College of Food Science and Engineering, Shandong Agricultural University) ;
- Mao, Yanwei (Laboratory of Meat Processing and Quality Control, College of Food Science and Engineering, Shandong Agricultural University) ;
- Zhang, Mingyue (Laboratory of Meat Processing and Quality Control, College of Food Science and Engineering, Shandong Agricultural University) ;
- Dong, Pengcheng (Laboratory of Meat Processing and Quality Control, College of Food Science and Engineering, Shandong Agricultural University) ;
- Niu, Lebao (Laboratory of Meat Processing and Quality Control, College of Food Science and Engineering, Shandong Agricultural University) ;
- Luo, Xin (Laboratory of Meat Processing and Quality Control, College of Food Science and Engineering, Shandong Agricultural University) ;
- Liang, Rongrong (Laboratory of Meat Processing and Quality Control, College of Food Science and Engineering, Shandong Agricultural University)
- Received : 2018.03.21
- Accepted : 2018.09.28
- Published : 2019.05.01
Objective: This study investigated the effect of different acute heat stress (HS) levels on chicken meat quality and ultra-structure. Methods: Chickens were randomly divided into 7 groups to receive different HS treatments: i)
Poultry Meat;Meat Quality;Cortisol;Protein Solubility;Meat Color;Ultra-structure
Supported by : Natural Science Fund of China
- Barbut S. Problem of pale soft exudative meat in broiler chickens. Br Poult Sci 1997;38:355-8. https://doi.org/10.1080/00071669708418002
- Owens CM, McKee SR, Matthews NS, Sams AR. The development of pale, exudative meat in two genetic lines of turkeys subjected to heat stress and its prediction by halothane screening. Poult Sci 2000;79:430-5. https://doi.org/10.1093/ps/79.3.430
- Alvarado CZ, Sams AR. The role of carcass chilling rate in the development of pale, exudative turkey pectoralis. Poult Sci 2002;81:1365-70. https://doi.org/10.1093/ps/81.9.1365
- Barbut S. Pale, soft, and exudative poultry meat-Reviewing ways to manage at the processing plant. Poult Sci 2009;88:1506-12. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.2009-00118
- Zhu XS, Xu XL, Min HH, Zhou GH. Occurrence and characterization of pale, soft, exudative-like broiler muscle commercially produced in China. J Integr Agric 2012;11:1384-90. https://doi.org/10.1016/S2095-3119(12)60137-3
- Owens CM, Alvarado CZ, Sams AR. Research developments in pale, soft, and exudative turkey meat in North America. Poult Sci 2009;88:1513-7. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.2009-00008
- Swatland HJ. Refractometry of pork muscle and beef connective and adipose tissue. Meat Sci 2002;62:225-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(01)00250-9
- McCurdy RD, Barbut S, Quinton M. Seasonal effect on pale soft exudative (PSE) occurrence in young turkey breast meat. Food Res Int 1996;29:363-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/0963-9969(96)00020-8
- Sams AR. The effect of seasonal heat stress on rigor development and the incidence of pale, exudative turkey meat. Poult Sci 1997;76:1616-20. https://doi.org/10.1093/ps/76.11.1616
- Spurio RS, Soares AL, Carvalho RH, et al. Improving transport container design to reduce broiler chicken PSE (pale, soft, exudative) meat in Brazil. Anim Sci J 2016;87:277-83. https://doi.org/10.1111/asj.12407
- Shimokomaki M, Ida EI, Soares AL, et al. Animal welfare and meat quality: methodologies to reduce pre-slaughter stress in broiler chicken. In: Barbosa-Canovas GV, Pastore GM, Candogan K, et al. Global food security and wellness. NY, USA: Springer;2017. p. 301-13.
- Northcutt JK, Foegeding EA, Edens FW. Water-holding properties of thermally preconditioned chicken breast and leg meat. Poult Sci 1994;73:308-16. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.0730308
- Pan XJ, Wen L, Peng ZQ, et al. Effect of heat stress on pH, oxidative status, tenderness and color in broiler breast meat. Acta Agric Jiangxi 2007;19:91-5.
- Tang S, Yu J, Zhang M, Bao E. Effects of different heat stress periods on various blood and meat quality parameters in young Arbor Acer broiler chickens. Can J Anim Sci 2013;93:453-60. https://doi.org/10.4141/cjas2013-041
- Xing T, Xu XL, Zhou HG, et al. The effect of transportation of broilers during summer on the expression of heat shock protein 70, postmortem metabolism and meat quality. J Anim Sci 2015;93:62-70. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2014-7831
- Close B, Banister K, Baumans V, et al. Recommendations for euthanasia of experimental animals: Part 2. DGXT of the European Commission. Lab Anim 1997;31:1-32. https://doi.org/10.1258/002367797780600297
- Wang RH, Liang RR, Lin H, et al. Effect of acute heat stress and slaughter processing on poultry meat quality and postmortem carbohydrate metabolism. Poult Sci 2017;96:738-46.
- Yang XY, Zhang M, Zhu LX, et al. Effect of packaging atmospheres on storage quality characteristics of heavily marbled beef longissimus steaks. Meat Sci 2016;117:50-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2016.02.030
- Chan JTY, Omana DA, Betti M. Application of high pressure processing to improve the functional properties of pale, soft, and exudative (PSE)-like turkey meat. Innov Food Sci Emerg Technol 2011;12:216-25. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ifset.2011.03.004
- Joo ST, Kauffman RG, Kim BC, Park GB. The relationship of sarcoplasmic and myofibrillar protein solubility to colour and water-holding capacity in porcine longissimus muscle. Meat Sci 1999;52:291-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(99)00005-4
- Li K, Zhang Y, Mao Y, et al. Effect of very fast chilling and aging time on ultra-structure and meat quality characteristics of Chinese Yellow cattle M. Longissimus lumborum. Meat Sci 2012;92:795-804. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2012.07.003
- Luo X, Zhu Y, Zhou GH. Electron microscopy of contractile bands in low voltage electrical stimulation beef. Meat Sci 2008;80:948-51. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2008.03.017
- Hewagalamulage SD, Lee TK, Clarke LJ, Henry BA. Stress, cortisol, and obesity: a role for cortisol responsiveness in identifying individuals prone to obesity. Domest Anim Endocrinol 2016;56(Suppl):S112-20. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.domaniend.2016.03.004
- Carrasco S, Panea B, Ripoll G, Sanz A, Joy M. Influence of feeding systems on cortisol levels, fat colour and instrumental meat quality in light lambs. Meat Sci 2009;83:50-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2009.03.014
- Soleimani AF, Zulkifli I, Omar AR, Raha AR. Physiological responses of 3 chicken breeds to acute heat stress. Poult Sci 2011;90:1435-40. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.2011-01381
- Sandercock DA, Hunter RR, Nute GR, Mitchell MA, Hocking PM. Acute heat stress-induced alterations in blood acid-base status and skeletal muscle membrane integrity in broiler chickens at two ages: implications for meat quality. Poult Sci 2001;80:418-25. https://doi.org/10.1093/ps/80.4.418
- Garcia RG, Freitas LW, Schwingel AW, et al. Incidence and physical properties of PSE chicken meat in a commercial processing plant. Braz J Poult Sci 2010;12:233-7. https://doi.org/10.1590/S1516-635X2010000400003
- Shen QW, Underwood KR, Means WJ, et al. The halothane gene, energy metabolism, adenosine monophosphate-activated protein kinase, and glycolysis in postmortem pig longissimus dorsi muscle. Anim Sci J 2007;85:1054-61. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2006-114
- Froning GW, Babji AS, Mather FB. The effect of preslaughter temperature, stress, struggle and anesthetization on color and textural characteristics of turkey muscle. Poult Sci 1978;57:630-3. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.0570630
- Warriss PD, Brown SN. The relationship between initial pH, reflectance, and exudation in pig muscle. Meat Sci 1987;20:65-74. https://doi.org/10.1016/0309-1740(87)90051-9
- Santos C, Roserio LC, Goncalves H, Melo RS. Incidence of different pork quality categories in a Portuguese slaughterhouse:a survey. Meat Sci 1994;38:279-87. https://doi.org/10.1016/0309-1740(94)90117-1
- Pan X, Peng ZQ, Zhou GH, Yu JM, Bao ED. Effect of heat stress on oxidative damage and protein functionality in broiler breast muscle. Sci Agric Sin 2008;41:1778-85.
- Aggarwal A, Upadhyay R. Heat stress and animal productivity. Haryana, India: Springer Press; 2013. p. 31-3.
- Choi YM, KC Jung, Choe JH, BC Kim. Effects of muscle cortisol concentration on muscle fiber characteristics, pork quality, and sensory quality of cooked pork. Meat Sci 2012;91:490-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2012.03.003
- Wang SC, Chen J, Huang Y, Li XF, Zhang DJ. Effect of heat stress on production performance and blood biochemical indices in broiler. China Poult 2007;15:11-3.
- Briskey EJ. Etiological status and associated studies of pale, soft, exudative porcine musculature. Adv Food Res 1964;13:89-178.
- Lawrie RA, Ledward DA. Lawrie's meat science. 9th rev. ed. Cambridge, UK: Woodhead Publishing Ltd. Press; 2006. p. 286-93.
- Wilson JD, Bigelow CE, Calkins DJ, Foster TH. Light scattering from intact cells reports oxidative-stress-induced mitochondrial swelling. Biophys J 2005;88:2929-38. https://doi.org/10.1529/biophysj.104.054528