- Volume 32 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Effects of a tunnel ventilation system within the tie-stall barn environment upon the productivity of dairy cattle during the winter season
- Sarentonglaga, Borjigin (University Farm, Faculty of Agriculture, Utsunomiya University) ;
- Sugiyama, Tatsuhiro (University Farm, Faculty of Agriculture, Utsunomiya University) ;
- Fukumori, Rika (University Farm, Faculty of Agriculture, Utsunomiya University) ;
- Nagao, Yoshikazu (University Farm, Faculty of Agriculture, Utsunomiya University)
- Received : 2018.06.10
- Accepted : 2018.09.03
- Published : 2019.05.01
Objective: The objective of this study was to examine the effect of using a tunnel ventilation system within the dairy barn environment upon the productivity of dairy cows during the winter season. Methods: The study was performed at the University Farm, Faculty of Agriculture, Utsunomiya University. Twenty-one Holstein dairy cows (5 heifers and 16 multiparous) were enclosed in a stall barn. Unventilated (UV) and tunnel-ventilated (TV) was operated by turns every other week, and a number of key parameters were measured in the barn, including tunnel ventilation output, temperature, relative humidity, gas concentrations (oxygen [
Winter Season;Tunnel Ventilation;Dairy Cows;Barn Environment
- James R, Sampath K, Narayanan M. Effect of sublethal concentrations of ammonia on food intake and growth in mystus vittatus. J Environ Biol 1993;14:243-8.
- Tilak KS, Veeraiah K, Raju JMP. Effects of ammonia, nitrite and nitrate on hemoglobin content and oxygen consumption of freshwater fish, Cyprinus carpio (Linnaeus). J Environ Biol 2007;28:45-7.
- Kilic I, Yaslioglu E. Ammonia and carbon dioxide concentrations in a layer house. Asian-Australas J Anim Sci 2014;27:1211-8. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2014.14099
- Zhang G, Strom JS, Li B, et al. Emission of ammonia and other contaminant gases from naturally ventilated dairy cattle buildings. Biosyst Eng 2005;92:355-64. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biosystemseng.2005.08.002
- Osario JA, Tinoco IF, Ciro HJ. Ammonia: a review of concentration and emission models in livestock structures. Dyna 2009;76:89-99.
- Tepper JS, Weiss B, Wood RW. Alterations in behavior produced by inhaled ozone or ammonia. Fundam Appl Toxicol 1985;5:1110-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/0272-0590(85)90147-2
- Collier RJ, Dahl GE, VanBaale MJ. Major advances associated with environmental effects on dairy cattle. J Dairy Sci 2006;89:1244-53. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(06)72193-2
- Gooch CA, Stowell RR. Tunnel ventilation for freestall facilities:design, environmental conditions, cow behavior, and economics. In: Proceedings of the Fifth International Dairy Housing Conference. American Society of Agricultural and Biological Engineers, St Joseph, MI, USA. 2003. pp. 27-34.
- Tyson JT, Graves RE, McFarland DF, Wilson T. Tunnel ventilation for tie stall dairy barns. Coop. Ext. Pub. No. G 78. Penn State University, College of Agricultural Sciences, Agricultural and Biological Engineering, University Park; 2004.
- Gooch CA, Timmons MB. Tunnel ventilation for freestall barns. Dairy housing and equipment systems: managing and planning for profitability. Ithaca NY, USA: Natural Resource, Agriculture and Engineering Service; 2000. pp. 186-201.
- Smith TR, Chapa A, Willard S, et al. Evaporative tunnel cooling of dairy cows in the southeast. I: Effect on body temperatures and respiration rates. J Dairy Sci 2006;89:3904-14. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(06)72433-X
- Smith TR, Chapa A, Willard S, et al. Evaporative tunnel cooling of dairy cows in the southeast. II: Impact on lactation performance. J Dairy Sci 2006;89:3915-23. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(06)72434-1
- Nagao Y, Maeda K, Akutsu N, Ichise M. Effects of a tunnel ventilation system on the environment of a stanchion cow shed and the cow’s body in the summer heat. Nihon Chikusan Gakkaiho 2009;80:349-57. https://doi.org/10.2508/chikusan.80.349
- Nagao Y, Seki N, Ichise M. Effects of a tunnel ventilation system on productivity of dairy cattle in the summer heat. Anim Behav Manag 2009;45:153-60.
- West JW. Effects of heat-stress on production in dairy cattle. J Dairy Sci 2003;86:2131-44. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(03)73803-X
- Knizkova I, Kunc P, Koubkova M, Flusser J, Dolezal O. Evaluation of naturally ventilated dairy barn management by a thermographic method. Livest Prod Sci 2002;77:349-53. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0301-6226(02)00062-3
- Broucek J, Letkovicova M, Kovalcuj K. Estimation of cold stress effect on dairy cows. Int J Biometeorol 1991;35:29-32. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01040960
- Olmos Colmenero JJ, Broderick GA. Effect of dietary crude protein concentration on milk production and nitrogen utilization in lactating dairy cows. J Dairy Sci 2006;89:1704-12. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(06)72238-X
- Boden AG, Harris MC, Parkes MJ. A respiratory drive in addition to the increase in CO2 production at raised body temperature in rats. Exp Physiol 2000;85:309-19. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1469-445X.2000.01938.x
- Ganong WF. Review of medical physiology. Los Altos, CA, USA: Lange Medical Publications; 1979.
- Sabuncuoglu N, Coban O, Lacin E, et al. Effect of barn ventilation on blood gas status and some physiological traits of dairy cows. J Environ Biol 2008;29:107-10.
- Arai I. Historical review of the quality control of raw milk in Japan. Milk Sci 2007;55:201-15.
- Bligh J, Cloudsley-Thompson JL, Macdonald AG. Environmental physiology of animals. Oxford, UK: Blackwell Scientific Publications; 1976.
- Shijimaya K, Furugouri K, Ando S, Katayama S. Effects of ambient temperature in cold and warm barns in winter on milk production and some physiological responses of Holstein dairy cattle. Japanese Soc Anim Sci 1986;57:479-84.
- Roenfeldt, S. You can’t afford to ignore heat stress. Dairy Herd Management 1998;35:6-12.
- Johnson HD, Ragsdale AC. Temperature-humidity effects including influence of acclimation in feed and water consumption of Holstein cattle. Columbia, MO, USA: University of Missouri;1963.
- Kleinschmit DH, Schingoethe DJ, Hippen AR, Kalscheur KF. Dried distillers grains plus solubles with corn silage or alfalfa hay as the primary forage source in dairy cow diets. J Dairy Sci 2007;90:5587-99. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2006-753
- Ellis KA, Innocent GT, Mihm M, et al. Dairy cow cleanliness and milk quality on organic and conventional farms in the UK. J Dairy Res 2007;74:302-10. https://doi.org/10.1017/S002202990700249X
- Bava L, Sandrucci A, Tamburini A, et al. Milk hygiene at the farm: effects of management and environmental factors. Science Tecn Latt Cas 2011;62:75-84.
- Hogan JS, Smith KL, Hoblet KH, et al. Bacterial counts in bedding materials used on nine commercial dairies. J Dairy Sci 1989;72:250-8. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(89)79103-7
- Kerro Dego O, Dijk JE, Nederbragt H. Factors involved in the early pathogenesis of bovine Staphylococcus aureus mastitis with emphasis on bacterial adhesion and invasion. Vet Q 2002;24:181-98. https://doi.org/10.1080/01652176.2002.9695135
- Bannerman DD, Paape MJ, Lee JW, et al. Escherichia coli and Staphylococcus aureus elicit differential innate immune responses following intramammary infection. Clin Diagn Lab Immunol 2004;11;463-72.