- Volume 29 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
A Review of the Korean Traditional Medicine for Cervical Spondylotic Myelopathy
경추증성 척수증의 한의학적 치료에 대한 국내외 연구 동향
- Byun, Da-young (Department of Clinical Korean Medicine, Graduate School, Kyung Hee University) ;
- Lee, Gi-eon (Department of Clinical Korean Medicine, Graduate School, Kyung Hee University) ;
- Roh, Ji-ae (Department of Clinical Korean Medicine, Graduate School, Kyung Hee University) ;
- Kim, Hyo-jun (Department of Korean Rehabilitation Medicine, Daejeon Jaseng Hospital of Korean Medicine) ;
- Huh, Suk-won (Department of Korean Rehabilitation Medicine, Daejeon Jaseng Hospital of Korean Medicine) ;
- Han, Si-hoon (Department of Korean Rehabilitation Medicine, Daejeon Jaseng Hospital of Korean Medicine)
- 변다영 (경희대학교 대학원 임상한의학과) ;
- 이기언 (경희대학교 대학원 임상한의학과) ;
- 노지애 (경희대학교 대학원 임상한의학과) ;
- 김효준 (대전자생한방병원 한방재활의학과) ;
- 허석원 (대전자생한방병원 한방재활의학과) ;
- 한시훈 (대전자생한방병원 한방재활의학과)
- Received : 2019.03.16
- Accepted : 2019.03.29
- Published : 2019.04.30
Objectives This study was performed to research the trends of Korean traditional medicine treatment for cervical spondylotic myelopathy (CSM). Methods Clinical studies about Korean traditional medicine of CSM were searched in 7 online databases. We extracted the characteristics of selected studies according to author, publication year, country, research design, treatment methods, evaluation tools, and adverse events. Results Nineteen studies were selected in online databases. The included studies consist of 8 uncontrolled trial, 7 case reports, 3 randomized controlled trials and 1 non-randomized controlled trials. In these studies, various Korean traditional medicine treatments were performed, and herbal medicine was the most common. The most commonly used outcomes was effective rate. Conclusions This study showed that Korean traditional medicine could be an effective treatment for CSM. It was suggested that various studies should be conducted to provide objective evidence of the therapeutic effects of Korean traditional medicine treatment for CSM.
- The Textbook Compilation Committee of The Korean Acupuncture and Moxibustion Society. The Acupuncture and Moxibustion. 2nd ed. Seoul:Jipmoon-Dang. 2012:501, 635-7.
- Korean Spinal Neurosurgery Society. The Textbook of Spine. 2nd ed. Seoul:Koonja Public. 2013:656.
- The Korean Orthopaedic Association. Orthopedics. 6th ed. Seoul:ChoiSin medical Publishing Co. 2006:586.
- Suk SI. Textbook of Spinal Surgery. 3rd ed. Seoul:Newest Medical Publishing Company. 2011:256-8.
- Zoher G, Edward CB, Daniel R, Erica FB, Robert FH. Surgery versus conservative care for cervical spondylotic myelopathy: surgery is appropriate for progressive myelopathy. Neurosurgery. 2015;62(Suppl 1):56-61. https://doi.org/10.1227/NEU.0000000000000781
- Zdenek K, Josef B, Oldrich N, Igor U, Ladislav D. Cervical spondylotic myelopathy: conservative versus surgical treatment after 10 years. Eur Spine J. 2011;20(9): 1533-8. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00586-011-1811-9
- Health Insurance Review and Assessment Service. Healthcare Bigdata System [Internet] 2019 [cited 2019 Feb 15]. Available from: URL: http://opendata.hira.or.kr/op/opc/olap3thDsInfo.do.
- Lee MJ, Kim KW, Nam JH, Han KW, Kim ES, Woo JH, Lee JS, Lee SJ. Clinical observation of the change with radiological view on cervical myelopathy patient treated by Korean medical treatments. The Joumal of Korean Acupuncture and Moxibustion Society. 2012;29(1):159-67.
- Kwon HY, Kim JH. Clinical study on a case of cervical myelopathy with additional scolopendrae corpus pharmacopuncture. Journal of Meridian and Acupoint. 2009;26(4):225-35.
- Kim JS, Cho JJ, Nam DW, Kang JW, Lee SH. Integrative Korean medicine as a possible conservative treatment for mild cervical spondylotic myelopathy One-year follow- up case report (CARE-compliant). Medicine. 2018; 97(36):e12249. https://doi.org/10.1097/MD.0000000000012249
- Yang F, Tan MS, Yi P, Tang XS, Hao QY, Qi YN. Clinical study on spinal cord decompression combined with traditional Chinese medicine for the treatment of cervical spondylotic myelopathy. China J Orthop Trauma. 2018;31(1):30-6.
- Chai S, Zhou B. Clinical observation of scalp acupuncture combined with abdominal acupuncture for cervical spondylotic myelopathy in early stage. Journal of New Chinese Medicine. 2018;50(4):166-8.
- Zhang P, Wu XP, Hu ZD, Zhou CJ. Clinical observation on the treatment of cervical spondylotic myelopathy with needle-knife therapy. Hubei Journal of Traditional Chinese Medicine. 2014;36(9):62-3.
- Li JJ, Zhao BL, Bai G, Wang HD, Cai J, Liu K, Ye XG, Lu KJ. Clinical study of comprehensive treatment by traditional Chinese medicine for cervical spondylotic myelopathy. China Medical Herald. 2014;11(32):77-82.
- Park EJ, Kim JH, Wui TS, Shin JC, Han SG, Ryu CR, Yoo YC, Chae WS, Cho MR. Clinical study on a Case of Wei symptom with cervical myelopathy. The Journal of Clinical Thesis Korean Acupuncture and Moxibustion Society. 2003;78-93.
- Lee OJ, Yoon MY, Kim HH, Cho NG. Clinical study on a case of cervical myelopathy. The Journal of Korean Acupuncture and Moxibustion Society. 2003;20(4):220-9.
- Yu JS, Lee HY, Cho YH. A case report on cervical myelopathy due to disc herniation applied Chuna treatment. The Journal of Korea CHUNA Manual Medicine for Spin and Nerves. 2008;3(1):65-72.
- Hisashi H, Hiroshi K, Kenji K, Masahito S, Osamu U, Munekado K, Hiroki W, Shunzo A. Acupuncture for urinary incontinence in patients with chronic spinal cord injury. The Japanese Journal of Urology. 1998;98(7):665-9.
- Yang S, Kwok YF. A case of chinese traditional medicine rehabilitation for patients with cervical spondylotic myelopathy. Chinese Manipulation and Rehabilitation Medicine. 2019;10(1):66-8.
- Gao QY. Experience of treating cervical spondylotic myelopathy patients with chinese traditional medicine doctor named Zhang Tianjian. The Journal of Traditional Chinese Orthopedics and Traumatology. 2006;18(2):64. https://doi.org/10.3969/j.issn.1001-6015.2006.02.051
- Gao ZH. Small needle knife plus comprehensive therapy for cervical spondylotic myelopathy. Hubei Journal of Traditional Chinese Medicine. 2007;29(2):48. https://doi.org/10.3969/j.issn.1000-0704.2007.02.032
- Jiang XP, Chen W, Yu CL. A case of treatment of cervical spondylotic myelopathy with small needle knife. Journal of Clinical Acupuncture and Moxibustion. 2006; 22(12):33. https://doi.org/10.3969/j.issn.1005-0779.2006.12.020
- Jiang HT, Chen M. Curative effect observation of 60 cases of cervical spondylotic myelopathy treated by warming needle and moxibustion. Lishizhen Medicine and Materia Medica Research. 2014;25(2):389.
- Yang MQ. Comprehensive treatment of traditional Chinese Medicine of cervical spondulotic myelopathy in 60 patients. Journal of Modern Clinical Medicine. 2009;35(5):355-6. https://doi.org/10.3969/j.issn.1673-1557.2009.05.017
- Zhou Y. Some experience in the treatment of cervical spondylotic myelopathy with acupotomy. Chinese Journal of Urban and Rural Enterprise Hygiene. 2017;32(7):1-3.
- Lai CB, Guo Q, Huang Y, Zie NX, Wang Q, Liu CQ. Traditional Chinese medicine comprehensive therapy in the conservative treatment of cervical spondylotic myelopathy for 18 cases. Chinese Medicine Modern Distance Education of China. 2018;16(4):129-30.
- Guo JB. Integrated Traditional Chinese medicine treatment of mild cervical spondylotic myelopathy clinical observation of 40 cases [dissertation]. Sichuan (CN): Chengdu University of Taraditional Chinese Medicine; 2011:1-44.
- Jau CW, Chin CK, Yu SY, Wen CH, Yu CC, Laura L, Tsung HT, Su SL, Henrich C. Epidemiology of cervical spondylotic myelopathy and its risk of causing spinal cord injury: a national cohort study. Neurosurg Focus. 2013;35(1):1-5. https://doi.org/10.3171/2013.3.FOCUS1374
- Yuk DI, Kim KM, Jeon JH, Kim YI, Kim JH. A review of trends for acupotomy. The acupuncture. 2014;31(3): 35-43. https://doi.org/10.13045/acupunct.2014041
- Korean Pharmacopuncture Institute. Pharmacopuncturology. 2nd ed. Seoul:Elsevier Korea. 2011:3.