- Volume 29 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
The Case Report on Twelve Patients of Lateral Epicondylitis Treated with Muscle Contraction/Relaxation Strengthen Technique, Instrument Assisted Soft Tissue Mobilization Treatment and Acupuncture
근육 수축/이완 강화 기법과 Instrument Assisted Soft Tissue Mobilization 및 침 치료를 병행하여 치료한 주관절 외상과염 환자 치험 12예
Jeong, Seung-Hyun;Kim, Chang-gon;Yun, Yeong-Ung;Ryu, Won-Hyung;Jeon, Yong-hyun;Choi, Young-jun;Chung, Jae-hyun
- Received : 2019.03.17
- Accepted : 2019.04.03
- Published : 2019.04.30
The purpose of this study is to report the treatment effects of Korean medicine for patients with lateral epicondylitis. This study was done on 12 cases of patients with lateral epicondylitis who visited in Korean Medicine Clinic of Ganghwa-gun Public Health Care Center. We used muscle contraction/relaxation strengthen technique, Instrument assisted soft tissue mobilization (IASTM), acupuncture on patients and mesured numerical rating scale (NRS), pain disability index (PDI), and grip strength test to evaluate treatment effects. Among twelve patients, eleven cases showed decreasing in NRS and all cases showed decreasing in PDI. Ten cases showed increasing in grip strength test. Korean medical treatments including muscle contraction/relaxation strengthen technique and IASTM are thought to be one of the effective treatment for patients with lateral epicondylitis.
Musculoskeletal manipulations;Acupuncture;Soft tisue therapy;Lateral epicondylitis
- The Society of Korean Medicine Rehabilitation. Korean Medicine Rehabilitation. 4th ed. Paju:Koonja Publishing. 2015:138-364.
- Huh Jun. Sindaeyuk Dongeuibogam. 1st ed. Seoul: Bubin Publishing. 2009:2051-131.
- The Korean Society of Chuna Manual Medicine for Spine and Nerves. Chuna Medicine. 1st ed. Seoul:The Korean Society of Chuna Manual Medicine for Spine and Nerves. 2013:473-89.
- Park JH, Shim JW, Jo WY, Jun JY, Kim HS, Park HS, Shin WC, Han JH, Jo JH. Literature review of tool-based manipulation for musculoskeletal diseases: with focus on Guasha and IASTM. J Korean Med Rehabil. 2016;26(4): 57-65. https://doi.org/10.18325/jkmr.2016.26.4.57
- Kim YG, Park JS. Effects of instrument-assisted soft tissue mobilization technique on Iliotibial Band Syndrome in long distance runners. The Official Journal of the Korean Academy of Kinesiology. 2016;18(3):43-9.
- Lee JH, Lee DK, Oh JS. The effect of Graston technique on the pain and range of motion in patients with chronic low back pain. The Journal of Physical Therapy Science. 2016;28(6):1852-5. https://doi.org/10.1589/jpts.28.1852
- Kim CW, Park HI, Lee YH, Lee GH. A case study of 13 patients with lateral epicondylitis of elbow using deep thermo-conductive acupuncture therapy. The Journal of Korean Acupuncture and Moxibustion Medicine Society. 2013;30(2):25-9.
- Park JW, Park SH, Moon SR, Song MY, Geum DH. The clinical report on 3 cases of lateral epicondylitis treated with musculotendinous releasing manual therapy after acupuncture treatment. J Korean Med Rehabil. 2017;27(2): 101-7. https://doi.org/10.18325/jkmr.2017.27.2.101
- Kim MG, Yoon IJ, Oh MS. A clinical cases study of elbow pain and dysfunction in patients diagnosed as tennis elbow. Journal of Haehwa Medicine. 2009;18(2):113-8.
- Chaitow L. Muscle energy techniques. 3rd ed. Seoul: Koonnja Publishing. 2008:98-102.
- Herquelot E, Gueguen A, Roquelaure Y, Bodin J, Serazin C, Ha C, Leclerc A, Goldberg M, Zins M, Descatha A. Work-related risk factors for incidence of lateral epicondylitis in a large working population. Scand J Work Environ Health. 2013;39(6): 578-88. https://doi.org/10.5271/sjweh.3380
- Sarwark JF. AAOS Essentail of Musculoskeletal Care. 4th ed. Seoul:Bubmoon Education. 2013:119-26.
- Ji JH. Lateral epicondylitis. Clinics in Shoulder and Elbow. 2010;2010(11):123-31.
- Ajimsha MS, Chithra S, Thulasyammal RP. Effectiveness of myofascial release in the management of lateral epicondylitis in computer professionals. Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation. 2012;93(4):604-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apmr.2011.10.012
- Park JY, Kim JW, Jeon CH, Kang HJ, Kim JY, Song SY, Choi YH. Clinical results of arthroscopic treatment for lateral epicondylitis of elbow. Clinics in Shoulder and Elbow. 2011;14(2):187-92.
- Kraushaar BS, Nirschl RP. Current concepts review. Tendinosis of the elbow. The Journal of Bone Joint Surg. 1999;81(2):259-78.
- Krogh TP, Fredberg U, Stengaard-Pedersen K, Christensen R, Jensen P, Ellingsen T. Treatment of lateral epicondylitis with platelet-rich plasma, glucocorticoid, or saline: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. The American Journal of Sports Medicine. 2013;41(3):625-35. https://doi.org/10.1177/0363546512472975
- Kang HJ, Hu MS, Lee SY, Han SB. Comparison of the clinical results of HILT versus ESWT in the lateral epicondylitis. The Jorunal of the Korean Society for Surgery of The Hand. 2009;14(2):61-6.
- Moon MJ, Kim KH. Study on body shape changes by meridian scraping. Journal of Korean Traditional Costume. 2008;11(1):85-100.
- Baker RT, Nasypany A, Seegmiller JG, Baker JG. Instrument-assisted soft tissue mobilization treatment for tissue extensibility dysfunction. International Journal of Athletic Therapy and Training. 2013;18(5):16-21. https://doi.org/10.1123/ijatt.18.5.16
- Schaefer JL, Sandrey MA. Effects of a 4-week dynamic- balance-training program supplemented with graston instrument-assisted soft-tissue mobilization for chronic ankle instability. Journal of Sport Rehabilitation. 2012; 21(4):313-26. https://doi.org/10.1123/jsr.21.4.313