- Volume 19 Issue 4
The candlelight vigil is a nonviolent collective action by Koreans to communicate with the government. Although they have political goals, candlelight vigils are represented as cultural events. However, despite its importance in Korean society, it is unclear how Koreans perceive the cultural meaning of the candlelight vigil. This study, therefore, investigates the cultural meaning of the candlelight vigil, ultimately aiming to extending the framework for understanding active publics. To this end, this study conducted 47 in-depth interviews with participants of 2008 and 2016 candlelight vigils. The findings showed that the candlelight vigil has cultural meanings of festivity, humor, and self-expression. Theoretical implications of the findings and future research directions are discussed.
Candlelight Vigil;Cultural Meaning;Festivity;Humor;Expression;Carnivalesque;Qualitative Research
Supported by : 한국PR학회
- http://terms.naver.com/entry.nhn?docId=1224858&cid=40942&categoryId=31615, 2019.01.03.
- 송해룡, 김원제, 조항민, 김찬원, 박성철, 한국 실패 사례에서 배우는 리스크 커뮤니케이션 전략, 커뮤니케이션북스, 2015.
- W. Y. Chang and H. W. Park, "The Network Structure of the Korean Blogosphere," Journal of Computer-Mediated Communication, Vol.17, pp.216-230, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1083-6101.2011.01567.x
- http://news.khan.co.kr/kh_news/khan_art_view.html?artid=201707312103005&code=960205#csidx982cd3828c29d69be83417f1414f36d, 2019.01.03.
- J. E. Grunig and T. Hunt, Managing Public Relations, Harcourt Brace Jovanovich College Publishers, 1984.
- D. M. Dozier and M. Lauzen, "Liberating the Intellectual Domain from the Practice: Public Relations, Activism, and the Role of the Scholar," Journal of Public Relations Research, Vol.12, No.1, pp.3-22, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1207/S1532754XJPRR1201_2
- B. L. Sha, "Cultural Identity in the Segmentation of Publics: An Emerging Theory of Intercultural Public Relations," Journal of Public Relations Research, Vol.18, pp.45-65, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1207/s1532754xjprr1801_3
- C. Chay-Nemeth, "Revisiting Publics: A Critical Archaeology of Publics in the Thai HIV/AIDS issue," Journal of Public Relations Research, Vol.13, No.2, pp.127-161, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1207/S1532754XJPRR1302_2
- C. K. Weaver, "Carnivalesque Activism as a Public Relations Genre: A Case Study of the New Zealand Group Mothers against Genetic Engineering," Public Relations Review, Vol.36, pp.35-41, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pubrev.2009.09.001
- 곽재현, "미하일 바흐친의 카니발레스크 고찰-2016 촛불집회 현상," 관광학연구, 제41권, 제7호, pp.45-60, 2017.
- 김용기, 임동희, "대통령 탄핵 촛불 집회의 교육적 의미," 한국콘텐츠학회논문지, 제17권, 제6호, pp.311-318, 2017. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2017.17.06.311
- J. E. Grunig, "A Situational Theory of Publics: Conceptual History, Recent Challenges and New Research," In D. Moss, T. MacManus and D. Vercic (Eds.), Public Relations Research: An International Perspective (pp.3-46), International Thompson Business Press, 1997.
- M. Karlberg, "Remembering the Public in Public Relations Research: From Theoretical to Operational Symmetry," Journal of Public Relations Research, Vol.8, pp.263-278, 1996. https://doi.org/10.1207/s1532754xjprr0804_03
- C. H. Botan and F. Soto, "A Semiotic Approach to the Internal Functioning of Publics: Implications for Strategic Communication and Public Relations," Public Relations Review, Vol.24, pp.21-44, 1998.
- R. L. Heath and M. Palenchar, "Community Relations and Risk Communication: A Longitudinal Study of the Impact of Emergency Response Messages," Journal of Public Relations Research, Vol.12, pp.131-161, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1207/S1532754XJPRR1202_1
- G. M. Vasquez and M. Taylor, "Research Perspectives on 'The Public'," In R. L. Heath (Ed.), Handbook of Public Relations, pp.139-154, Sage, 2001.
- E. J. Sommerfeldt, "The Dynamics of Activist Power Relationships: A Structurationist Exploration of the Segmentation of Activist Publics," International Journal of Strategic Communication, Vol.6, pp.269-286, 2011.
- Z. Cozier and D. F. Witmer, "The Development of a Structuration Analysis of New Publics in an Electronic Environment," In R. L. Heath (Ed.), Handbook of Public Relations, pp.615-623, Sage, 2001.
- D. R. Holtzhausen, "Activism," In Elizabeth L. Toth (ed.), The Handbook of Excellence in Public Relations and Communication Management: Challenges for the Next Generation, pp.357-379, Lawrence Erlbaum, 2007.
- J. N. Kim, "Public Segmentation using Situational Theory of Problem Solving: Illustrating Summation Method and Testing Segmented Public Profiles," Prism, Vol.8, No.2, 2011.
- M. Branagan, "The Last Laugh: Humour in Community Activism," Community Development Journal, Vol.42, No.4, pp.470-481, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1093/cdj/bsm037
- M. L. Bruner, "Carnivalesque Protest and the Humourless State," Text and Performance Quarterly, Vol.25, No.2, pp.136-155, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1080/10462930500122773
- M. Bakhtin, Rabelais and His World (2nd ed., H. Iswolsky, Trans.), MIT Press, 1984.
- M. Bakhtin, Problems of Dostoevsky's Poetics, Vol.8, University of Minnesota Press, 2013.
- 도묘연, "결사체 활동, 시민성 그리고 촛불집회 참여의 경로구조," 현대정치연구, 제10권, 제2호, pp.5-41, 2017.
- 홍성구, "박근혜 탄핵 촛불집회의 민주적 함의," 한국언론정보학보, 제89권, pp.149-178, 2018.
- 고인석, "인터넷 정치참여와 대의민주주의의 위기극복을 위한 대안모색," 홍익법학, 제11권, 제3호, pp.41-69, 2010.
- 이정기, 정대철, "광우병 촛불집회에 나타난 '미디어 2.0' 현상에 관한 연구," 정치커뮤니케이션연구, 제16권, pp.193-244, 2010.
- 김병진, 이상은, 양종훈, "박근혜 대통령 탄핵 보도 편향성에 관한 연구," 한국콘텐츠학회논문지, 제17권, 제11호, pp.554-566, 2017. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2017.17.11.554
- 주현식, "촛불집회, 블랙텐트, 그리고 사회적 퍼포먼스," 한국연극학, 제66호, pp.183-221, 2018.
- 한우리, 허철, "보여주기의 문화정치학," 평화연구, 제18권, 제2호, pp.41-83, 2010.
- 김기정, "커뮤니케이션의 진화와 새로운 놀이 공동체의 출현," 예술과 미디어, 제12권, 제4호, pp.171-191, 2013.
- E. Canetti, Crowds and Power, Vol.190, Macmillan, 1984.
- http://www.pressian.com/news/article.html?no=36319#09T0, 2019.01.03.
- http://www.yonhapnews.co.kr/bulletin/2016/11/27/0200000000AKR20161127043200022.HTML?input=1195m, 2019.01.03.
- M. B. Miles and A. M. Huberman, Qualitative Data Analysis (2nd ed..), Sage, 1994.
- R. K. Yin, Case Study Research: Design and Methods (2nd ed..), Sage, 1994.
- B. Glaser and A. Strauss, The Discovery of Grounded Theory: Strategies for Qualitative Research, de Gruyter, 1967.