- Volume 12 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Building Resilience through Integrated Urban Climate Education: A case study in Da Nang City, Central Vietnam
통합 도시 기후 교육을 통한 복원력 구축: 베트남 중부 Da Nang 시 사례 연구
- Tong, Thi My Thi (Hanoi University of National Resources and Environment) ;
- Tran, Van Giai Phong (Institute for Social and Environmental Transition) ;
- Lee, Dal-Heui (Yonsei University) ;
- Park, Tae-Yoon (Yonsei University) ;
- Han, Shin (Korea National University of Education)
- Received : 2018.12.31
- Accepted : 2019.01.29
- Published : 2019.04.30
The importance of education in formulating and complementing climate change response has been widely recognized by international and national frameworks, agendas, strategies and action plans. Climate change education has the potential to meet the needs of communities to access updated information and knowledge on climate change, supporting policy development and the enhancing effectiveness of climate change response. This study develops an innovative model of Integrated Urban Climate Education (IUCE) as one suitable method for teaching and learning climate change and urbanization. This paper presents approaches, methodology and key lessons learned from the case study of IUCE in Cam Le District of Da Nang City. Findings from the study identify a number of important characteristics about the development and implementation of IUCE in a way that effectively contributes to urban resilience building. These characteristics include (1) multidimensional approaches, (2) teacher - centered base, (3) school-family-community connection, and (4) symbiosis principle.
Supported by : KOICA, ISET
- ACCCRN (2011). Da Nang city climate change resilience action plan (2011-2020), The framework of Asian cities climate change resilience network. Available at: http://www.acccrn.org/sites/default/files/documents/1DaNangResilienceStrategy_0.pdf.
- Adger, W. N. (1997). Sustainability and social resilience in coastal. CSERGE working paper series 97-23. University of East Anglia, London, United Kingdom: Centre for Social and Economic Research on the Global Environment.
- Adger, W. N. (2000). Social and ecological resilience: Are they related? Progress in Human Geography, 24(3), 347-364. https://doi.org/10.1191/030913200701540465
- Asian Development Bank (2013). Investing in resilience: Ensuring a disaster-resistant future. Asian Development Bank. Retrieved from http://www.adb.org/publications/investing-resilience-ensuring-disaster-resistant-future
- Bach, T. S. (2011). Shared learning dialogue as way to engage stakeholders and build their capacity for climate resilience action in 3 cities (Da Nang, Quy Nhon and Can Tho), Vietnam. In cities at risk: building adapative capacities for managing climate change risks in asian coastal cities (CAR II). Taipei: The Academy of Sciences, Taipei.
- Berkes, F. (2007). Understanding uncertainty and reducing vulnerability: Lessons from resilience thinking. Natural Hazards, 41, 283-295. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11069-006-9036-7
- Bonanno, G. A., Westphal, M. & Mancini, A. D. (2011). Resilience to loss and potential trauma. Annual Review of Clinical Psychology, 7(November 2010), 511-535. http://doi.org/10.1146/annurev-clinpsy-032210-104526 https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev-clinpsy-032210-104526
- Boonstra, W. J. & Hanh, T. T. H. (2014). Adaptation to climate change as social-ecological trap: A case study of fishing and aquaculture in the Tam Giang Lagoon, Vietnam. Environment, Development and Sustainability, 17(6), 1527-1544. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10668-014-9612-z
- Bosher, L. & Dainty, A. (2011). Disaster risk reduction and "built-in" resilience: Towards overarching principles for construction practice. Disasters, 35(1), 1-18. http://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-7717.2010.01189.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-7717.2010.01189.x
- Chang, S. E. & Shinozuka, M. (2004). Measuring improvements in the disaster resilience of communities. Earthquake Spectra, 20(3), 739-755. http://doi.org/10.1193/1.1775796 https://doi.org/10.1193/1.1775796
- Cutter, S. L., Burton, C. G. & Emrich, C. T. (2010). Disaster resilience indicators for benchmarking baseline conditions. Journal of Homeland Security and Emergency Management, 7(1), 14. http://doi.org/10.2202/1547-7355.1732
- Diduck, A. (2010). The learning dimension of adaptive capacity: Untangling the multi-level connections. In D. Armitage & R. Plummer (Eds.), Adaptive capacity and environmental governance (pp. 199-222). Heidelberg, Germany: Springer-Verlag. Ecologic.
- Godschalk, D. (2003). Urban hazard mitigation: Creating resilient cities. Natural Hazards Review, 4(3), 136-143. http://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)1527-6988(2003)4:3(136) https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)1527-6988(2003)4:3(136)
- IFRC (2013). IFRC framework for community resilience.
- Leichenko, R. (2011). Climate change and urban resilience. Current Opinion in Environmental Sustainability, 3(3), 164-168. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.cosust.2010.12.014 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cosust.2010.12.014
- Longstaff, P. H., Armstrong, N., Perrin, K., Parker, W. M. & Hidek, M. A. (2010). Building resilient communities: A preliminary framework for assessment. Homeland Security Affairs, 4(3), 1-23. Retrieved from http://www.hsaj.org/?fullarticle=6.3.6\nLongstaff, Armstrong et al.2010-BuildingResilientCommunities.pdf
- Mayunga, J. S. (2007). Understanding and applying the concept of community disaster resilience: A capital-based approach. Landscape Architecture, (July), 22-28. http://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.energy.32.051807.090348
- Meerow, S., Newell, J. P. & Stults, M. (2016). Defining urban resilience: A review. Landscape and Urban Planning, 147, 38-49. http://doi.org/10.1016/j.landurbplan.2015.11.011 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.landurbplan.2015.11.011
- Moench, M. (2014). Experiences applying the climate resilience framework: Linking theory with practice. Development in Practice, 24(4), 447-464. http://doi.org/10.1080/09614524.2014.909385 https://doi.org/10.1080/09614524.2014.909385
- Moench, M., Tyler, S. & Lage, J. (2011). Catalyzing urban climate resilience. Retrieved from http://act-adapt.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/ISET_CatalyzingUrbanResilience_allchapters.pdf
- Pierce, J. C., Budd, W. W. & Lovrich, N. P. (2011). Resilience and sustainability in US urban areas. Environmental Politics, 20(4), 566-584. http://doi.org/10.1080/09644016.2011.589580 https://doi.org/10.1080/09644016.2011.589580
- Prasad, N. & Ranghieri, F. (2008). Climate resilient cities. A primer on, (Vol. June). http://doi.org/10.1596/978-0-8213-7766-6
- Reed, S. O., Friend, R., Jarvie, J., Henceroth, J., Thinphanga, P., Singh, D. & Sutarto, R. (2014). Resilience studies as experiments: Implementing climate change resilience in Asian cities. Climate and Development, 5529(March 2015), 37-41. http://doi.org/10.1080/17565529.2014.989190
- Reed, S. O., Friend, R., Toan, V. C., Thinphanga, P., Sutarto, R. & Singh, D. (2013). "Shared learning" for building urban climate resilience - experiences from Asian cities. Environment and Urbanization, 25(1), 393-412. http://doi.org/10.1177/0956247813501136 https://doi.org/10.1177/0956247813501136
- Rose, A. (2004). Defining and measuring economic resilience to disasters. Disaster Prevention and Management: An International Journal, 13(4), 307-314. http://doi.org/10.1108/09653560410556528 https://doi.org/10.1108/09653560410556528
- Sempier, T. T., Swann, D. L., Emmer, R., Sempier, S. H. & Schneider, M. (2010). Coastal community resilience index: a community self-assessmen. MASGP-08-014.
- Twigg, J. (2007). Characteristics of a disaster-resilient community (Version 1 for field testing), 1(August). Retrieved from https://practicalaction.org/docs/ia1/community-characteristics-en-lowres.pdf
- Tyler, S. & Moench, M. (2012). A framework for urban climate resilience. Climate and Development, 4(May 2015), 311-326. http://doi.org/10.1080/17565529.2012.745389 https://doi.org/10.1080/17565529.2012.745389
- UNESCO (2015). Climate change education and COP21. United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization. Available at: http://unesdoc.unesco.org/images/0023/002357/235709e.pdf.
- UNFCCC (1992). United Nations framework convention on climate change united nations.
- UNFCCC (2015). Adoption of the Paris Agreement. United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (Vol. 21932). Retrieved from http://unfccc.int/resource/docs/2015/cop21/eng/l09r01.pdf
- Walker, B., Carpenter, S., Anderies, J., Abel, N., Cumming, G., Janssen, M. & Pritchard, R. (2002). Resilience management in social-ecological systems: A working hypothesis for a participatory approach. Conservation Ecology, 6(1), 14.
- Walker, B., Holling, C. S., Carpenter, S. R. & Kinzig, A. (2004). Resilience, adaptability and transformability in social - ecological systems. Ecology and Society, 9(2), 5. http://doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevLett.95.258101
- Zimmerman, R. & Faris, C. (2011). Climate change mitigation and adaptation in North American cities. Current Opinion in Environmental Sustainability, 3(3), 181-187. http://doi.org/http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.cosust.2010.12.004 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cosust.2010.12.004