- Volume 49 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Evaluation of prognosis related to compliance with supportive periodontal treatment in patients with chronic periodontitis: a clinical retrospective study
- Lee, Jong-Bin (Department of Periodontology, Ewha Womans University Mokdong Hospital) ;
- Shin, Hye-Jung (Department of Clinical Oral Health Science, Graduate School of Clinical Dentistry, Ewha Womans University) ;
- Kim, Dae-Yeob (Department of Periodontology, Ewha Womans University Mokdong Hospital) ;
- Pang, Eun-Kyoung (Department of Periodontology, Ewha Womans University Mokdong Hospital)
- Received : 2019.01.21
- Accepted : 2019.03.27
- Published : 2019.04.30
Purpose: The purpose of this study was to evaluate the prognostic effect of patient compliance with supportive periodontal treatment (PC-SPT). Chronic periodontitis patients were classified based on their compliance level, and factors affecting PC-SPT and the prognosis of PC-SPT were investigated. Methods: This study selected 206 patients who started SPT after receiving periodontal treatment between 2010 and 2012. Patients who continued SPT through February 2016 were included. The patients were classified according to whether they exhibited complete compliance (100% of visits), excellent compliance (
Supported by : National Research Foundation of Korea (NRF), Ewha Womans University
- Newman MG, Takei HH, Klokkevold PR, Carranza FA. Carranza's clinical periodontology. 11th ed. St. Louis (MO): Elsevier/Saunders; 2012.
- Gaurilcikaite E, Renton T, Grant AD. The paradox of painless periodontal disease. Oral Dis 2017;23:451-63. https://doi.org/10.1111/odi.12537
- Renvert S, Persson GR. Supportive periodontal therapy. Periodontol 2000 2004;36:179-95. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0757.2004.03680.x
- Agrawal N, Jain R, Jain M, Agarwal K, Dubey A. Compliance with supportive periodontal therapy among patients with aggressive and chronic periodontitis. J Oral Sci 2015;57:249-54. https://doi.org/10.2334/josnusd.57.249
- Lang NP, Tonetti MS, Suter J, Sorrell J, Duff GW, Kornman KS. Effect of interleukin-1 gene polymorphisms on gingival inflammation assessed by bleeding on probing in a periodontal maintenance population. J Periodontal Res 2000;35:102-7. https://doi.org/10.1034/j.1600-0765.2000.035002102.x
- Bostrom L, Linder LE, Bergstrom J. Influence of smoking on the outcome of periodontal surgery. A 5-year follow-up. J Clin Periodontol 1998;25:194-201. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-051X.1998.tb02428.x
- Kocher T, Konig J, Dzierzon U, Sawaf H, Plagmann HC. Disease progression in periodontally treated and untreated patients--a retrospective study. J Clin Periodontol 2000;27:866-72. https://doi.org/10.1034/j.1600-051x.2000.027011866.x
- Lee HW, Park JW, Suh JY, Lee JM. Patient compliance with supportive periodontal therapy. J Korean Acad Periodontol 2009;39:193-8. https://doi.org/10.5051/jkape.2009.39.2.193
- Demetriou N, Tsami-Pandi A, Parashis A. Compliance with supportive periodontal treatment in private periodontal practice. A 14-year retrospective study. J Periodontol 1995;66:145-9. https://doi.org/10.1902/jop.19188.8.131.52
- Demirel K, Efeodlu A. Retrospective evaluation of patient compliance with supportive periodontal treatment. J Nihon Univ Sch Dent 1995;37:131-7. https://doi.org/10.2334/josnusd1959.37.131
- Novaes AB Jr, Novaes AB. Compliance with supportive periodontal therapy. Part 1. Risk of non-compliance in the first 5-year period. J Periodontol 1999;70:679-82. https://doi.org/10.1902/jop.19184.108.40.2069
- Mendoza AR, Newcomb GM, Nixon KC. Compliance with supportive periodontal therapy. J Periodontol 1991;62:731-6. https://doi.org/10.1902/jop.19220.127.116.111
- Kim YI, Heo HY. A analysis on the patient's awareness of periodontal diseases. J Korean Acad Dent Hyg Educ 2008;8:107-14.
- Lee YS, Yun CY, Kim SM, Kim BO, Han KY. Investigation of age and treatment modalities in the periodontally treated(1981-1995) patients. J Korean Acad Periodontol 2001;31:225-31. https://doi.org/10.5051/jkape.2001.31.1.225
- Kim JH, Chung HJ. The comparison of c linical changes during maintenance phase after non-surgical or surgical therapy of chronic periodontitis. J Korean Acad Periodontol 2006;36:69-84. https://doi.org/10.5051/jkape.2006.36.1.69
- Park WK, Lee JK, Chang BS, Um HS. A retrospective study on patients' compliance with supportive periodontal therapy. J Korean Acad Periodontol 2009;39:59-70. https://doi.org/10.5051/jkape.2009.39.1.59
- Ojima M, Hanioka T, Shizukuishi S. Survival analysis for degree of compliance with supportive periodontal therapy. J Clin Periodontol 2001;28:1091-5. https://doi.org/10.1034/j.1600-051X.2001.281202.x
- Hausmann E, Allen K, Carpio L, Christersson LA, Clerehugh V. Computerized methodology for detection of alveolar crestal bone loss from serial intraoral radiographs. J Periodontol 1992;63:657-62. https://doi.org/10.1902/jop.1918.104.22.1687
- Serino G, Turri A. Outcome of surgical treatment of peri-implantitis: results from a 2-year prospective clinical study in humans. Clin Oral Implants Res 2011;22:1214-20. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0501.2010.02098.x
- Heitz-Mayfield LJ, Salvi GE, Mombelli A, Loup PJ, Heitz F, Kruger E, et al. Supportive peri-implant therapy following anti-infective surgical peri-implantitis treatment: 5-year survival and success. Clin Oral Implants Res 2018;29:1-6. https://doi.org/10.1111/clr.13364
- Page RC, Schroeder HE. Pathogenesis of inflammatory periodontal disease. A summary of current work. Lab Invest 1976;34:235-49.
- Page RC, Kornman KS. The pathogenesis of human periodontitis: an introduction. Periodontol 2000 1997;14:9-11. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0757.1997.tb00189.x
- Ramfjord SP, Morrison EC, Burgett FG, Nissle RR, Shick RA, Zann GJ, et al. Oral hygiene and maintenance of periodontal support. J Periodontol 1982;53:26-30. https://doi.org/10.1902/jop.1922.214.171.124
- Knowles JW. Oral hygiene related to long-term effects of periodontal therapy. J Mich Dent Assoc 1973;55:147-50.
- Lindhe J, Lang NP, Berglundh T, Giannobile WV, Sanz M. Clinical periodontology and implant dentistry. 6th ed. Chichester: John Wiley and Sons, Inc.; 2015.
- Novaes AB Jr, de Lima FR, Novaes AB. Compliance with supportive periodontal therapy and its relation to the bleeding index. J Periodontol 1996;67:976-80. https://doi.org/10.1902/jop.19126.96.36.1996
- Kang H, Yoon Y, Park J, Sung M, Bae G, Kim J. Awareness of patients with periodontal disease under treatments at initial and maintenance phase. J Korean Acad Oral Health 2005;29:271-80.
- Perrell-Jones C, Ireland RS. What factors influence patient compliance with supportive periodontal therapy in a general practice setting? Br Dent J 2016;221:701-4. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.bdj.2016.904
- Heft MW, Meng X, Bradley MM, Lang PJ. Gender differences in reported dental fear and fear of dental pain. Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 2007;35:421-8. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0528.2006.00344.x
- Cardaropoli D, Gaveglio L. Supportive periodontal therapy and dental implants: an analysis of patients' compliance. Clin Oral Implants Res 2012;23:1385-8. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0501.2011.02316.x
- Wilson TG Jr, Glover ME, Schoen J, Baus C, Jacobs T. Compliance with maintenance therapy in a private periodontal practice. J Periodontol 1984;55:468-73. https://doi.org/10.1902/jop.19188.8.131.528
- Frisch E, Ziebolz D, Vach K, Ratka-Kruger P. Supportive post-implant therapy: patient compliance rates and impacting factors: 3-year follow-up. J Clin Periodontol 2014;41:1007-14. https://doi.org/10.1111/jcpe.12298
- Novaes AB, Novaes AB Jr, Moraes N, Campos GM, Grisi MF. Compliance with supportive periodontal therapy. J Periodontol 1996;67:213-6. https://doi.org/10.1902/jop.19184.108.40.206
- Matthews DC, Smith CG, Hanscom SL. Tooth loss in periodontal patients. J Can Dent Assoc 2001;67:207-10.
- Sbordone L, Bortolaia C. Oral microbial biofilms and plaque-related diseases: microbial communities and their role in the shift from oral health to disease. Clin Oral Investig 2003;7:181-8. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00784-003-0236-1
- Checchi L, Montevecchi M, Gatto MR, Trombelli L. Retrospective study of tooth loss in 92 treated periodontal patients. J Clin Periodontol 2002;29:651-6. https://doi.org/10.1034/j.1600-051X.2002.290710.x
- Kim SY, Lee JK, Chang BS, Um HS. Effect of supportive periodontal therapy on the prevention of tooth loss in Korean adults. J Periodontal Implant Sci 2014;44:65-70. https://doi.org/10.5051/jpis.2014.44.2.65
- Lee CT, Huang HY, Sun TC, Karimbux N. Impact of patient compliance on tooth loss during supportive periodontal therapy: a systematic review and meta-analysis. J Dent Res 2015;94:777-86. https://doi.org/10.1177/0022034515578910
- Tonetti MS, Steffen P, Muller-Campanile V, Suvan J, Lang NP. Initial extractions and tooth loss during supportive care in a periodontal population seeking comprehensive care. J Clin Periodontol 2000;27:824-31. https://doi.org/10.1034/j.1600-051x.2000.027011824.x
- Cattabriga M, Rotundo R, Muzzi L, Nieri M, Verrocchi G, Cairo F, et al. Retrospective evaluation of the influence of the interleukin-1 genotype on radiographic bone levels in treated periodontal patients over 10 years. J Periodontol 2001;72:767-73. https://doi.org/10.1902/jop.2001.72.6.767